In the pantheon of insufferable douches, Mike Schopp is Zeus.

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Disagree.

I listen to him all the time and have done so for years; if a caller demonstrates that he/she is intelligent and making an interesting point, Schopp will give them plenty of time to talk, make their point, and he usually even compliments them on a nice call.   And he doesn't only do it when he is in agreement with the caller.

I think a lot of folks here don't like him b/c he does come across as arrogant and he straight up treats stupid callers poorly, and most of his callers are stupid.  That just rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Good take.  I've cringed at times with how he'll handle certain calls, but he's pretty fair for the most part.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm not a huge fan of him, but I think how he handles callers is just the way the industry has gone. 

Every so often when I am in different parts of the country, I'll find a sports talk show host that I like. They bring up a topic...sometimes not even saying their opinion...and then taking calls and talking through all aspects of the callers opinions (no matter how crazy they are). I LIKE that kind of show.

HOWEVER, the way WGR is (and more and more of other shows now) is the hosts give your their opinion....and then when callers disagree with them...often like to tell those callers why they are wrong.  It isn't very often where the host are open to having their mind changed...or even moderating a 'fair' conversation between competing views.

Personally, I like to form my own opinion and view on things....and the way I have my view reinforced is not by people agreeing with me....but instead by people bringing up aspects of the topic that I never thought of.  It seems to me most radio shows are not about that anymore. They are about conflict, because I guess conflict gets ratings and gets people to call in more often.

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Disagree.

I listen to him all the time and have done so for years; if a caller demonstrates that he/she is intelligent and making an interesting point, Schopp will give them plenty of time to talk, make their point, and he usually even compliments them on a nice call.   And he doesn't only do it when he is in agreement with the caller.

I think a lot of folks here don't like him b/c he does come across as arrogant and he straight up treats stupid callers poorly, and most of his callers are stupid.  That just rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

His random decisions on who is an intelligent caller baffle me. 

Actually I haven't found Schopp to be as arrogant recently, I think he has mellowed a little bit in the holier than thou category and to be fair he was right in calling out McD last year for benching Tyrod vs the Chargers for the useless NP. The person who grates me most at WGR recently is Sal C when he hosts that show on Monday morning. For some reason he reminds me of smart ass joe pesci clone when he goes off on callers really rudely when they make a nervous slip up on air. That to me is douchey.