In the pantheon of insufferable douches, Mike Schopp is Zeus.

9 hours ago, Monty Green said:

I think that's true but I think for me I like when hosts will question things, or to try to be as honest & direct as possible without going too far either way as a homer or basher, but just call things as they are.

So I don't find Schopp to be overly negative, but I do like that he will take something and look at it from a few different views and walk through the logic of various scenarios. I think he is pretty thoughtful and fun and real and honest, I think that is what he is basically going for and I think he does it well. He is very positive & gets excited when it is warranted, but he doesn't necessarily always side with the team on every decision they make. Schopp is wrong as much as anyone and he has had plenty of bad predictions and takes, but for the most part, I like Schopp for Bills and Jeremy and Instigators for Sabres. Sometimes I'll listen to a bit of John & Steve but I find them to be pretty boring and dull, it was more interesting when Donald Jones was the sidekick. I like both John and Steve separately and even them together, but feel like the show needs a voice in there to challenge them sometimes or provide a different perspective, besides the callers. 

All sports talk radio should be two employees of the team.  Create a basic and generic twitter poll, announce the current results of the poll every 5 minutes, and take endless callers on the basic, generic poll.  Any dialogue needs to be positive or neutral at worst.  That is great radio.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

All sports talk radio should be two employees of the team.  Create a basic and generic twitter poll, announce the current results of the poll every 5 minutes, and take endless callers on the basic, generic poll.  Any dialogue needs to be positive or neutral at worst.  That is great radio.

You know what's even better? Ceaseless, mindless complaining interspersed with completely meaningless fantasy sports talk and witty stories about kids no one but their parents care about.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
52 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Callers in Buffalo said after the Jets game - we need to make sure that Matt Barkley isn't the answer, we can put Josh Allen on hold. 

Two weeks later, Schopp has people calling in saying Josh Allen is "highly probable" to be top-end QB. That we've found our guy. 

And that means Schopp is arrogant and lazy how?

13 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

My problem with Schopp is he is extremely arrogant and he is a novice when it comes to football knowledge.  His remark on that one national radio show "Allen was pretty much lousy at Wyoming" says it all.  He admittedly didn't watch Allen at Wyoming and just parrots the accuracy comments he has heard other people say which means he is lazy also.  He is lazy about his approach to the job and talks with the arrogance of someone who is filled with knowledge and is at the top of his field. 

If you are someone who thinks Allen was "pretty much lousy at Wyoming" then your opinion is worthless.  People who have actually done the research and watched the games know despite the completion percentage stat, Allen carried that team for two years and took them to heights that they couldn't get to before and will likely not see again.  If Schopp were in a field other than talk radio, he would have been fired long ago.  The one good thing he does is he pisses people off with his ignorance which is good for ratings I suppose.  That is why he still has a job.  Almost anywhere else lazy and arrogant gets you fired pretty quickly.

I think your statement can apply to most Bills fans regarding Allen prior to the draft.  Many of them still hold the same sentiment.  

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Slow your roll their there partner

He rushed the throw to Foster on the boundary and it sailed. Hardly a WTF moment, but like you said, as a Bills' Bills fan, you had to go way too (not "to") far with it.

Sort of like you're going way too far in assuming that I rubber stamp everything the kid does; maybe instead of firing that bullet it would make sense to see if that's true first?

He's got a lot to work on, yes...but a WTF moment is the INT he threw across his body into the EZ in GB that cost the team points; not rushing a boundary throw.

So like I said: slow your roll.

As long as we're correcting grammar.

Schopp was pretty consistent with Allen since pre-draft, and it fits with his entire schtick.

He is into advanced stats and analytics.  Also he like modern ways of thinking like the proliferation of passing/spread offenses, going for it, etc...  He loathes things like momentum, smash mouth football, run-first offense, building a team defense-first, and drafting a QB because he has "big hands" and you need "big hands" to play in Buffalo.  He has said since the draft, the case of Allen is a huge test for the "analyticals" vs "raw talent/physical attribute" crowd.  It is an interesting case study. 

I subscribe to Schopp's way of thinking, not as religiously, but I get it.  I did not want them to draft Allen either.  Allen has exceeded my year 1 expectations, but I still have concerns.

On 12/3/2018 at 3:25 PM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He is why I don't listen to WGR anymore.  Well, him and Jeremy.  I've never really told anyone that is why, never complained to the station, anything like that.  There isn't really anything that can be done.  But, I can not listen and refuse to give them my business.  It gives me that little bit of comfort.  

Schopp IS the reason I listen. Most local sports radio shows are full of homers like Murph and Cappacio, can't stand the kool-aid drinking homer types.

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Schopp was pretty consistent with Allen since pre-draft, and it fits with his entire schtick.

He is into advanced stats and analytics.  Also he like modern ways of thinking like the proliferation of passing/spread offenses, going for it, etc...  He loathes things like momentum, smash mouth football, run-first offense, building a team defense-first, and drafting a QB because he has "big hands" and you need "big hands" to play in Buffalo.  He has said since the draft, the case of Allen is a huge test for the "analyticals" vs "raw talent/physical attribute" crowd.  It is an interesting case study. 

I subscribe to Schopp's way of thinking, not as religiously, but I get it.  I did not want them to draft Allen either.  Allen has exceeded my year 1 expectations, but I still have concerns.

I think the problem analytics is going to of had with Allen is that while his stats were bad they didn't take the time to see what the reason for that was. It's why I think Baseball works much better with analytics it's a much more individual performance based sport for stats.

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

Schopp IS the reason I listen. Most local sports radio shows are full of homers like Murph and Cappacio, can't stand the kool-aid drinking homer types.

I can understand that, but for me Schopp is basically the same as a homer but on the opposite extreme.  He seems to just go against the grain just to do it (which most "bad boys" stop doing in junior high).  I agree "kool-aid drinking homer types" can be annoying but Schopp is basically the negative-nancy version of those types.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I can understand that, but for me Schopp is basically the same as a homer but on the opposite extreme.  He seems to just go against the grain just to do it (which most "bad boys" stop doing in junior high).  I agree "kool-aid drinking homer types" can be annoying but Schopp is basically the negative-nancy version of those types.

I don't think so personally. Yes, he can be contrarian for the sake of it, but he makes better arguments than homers do, IMO.

1 minute ago, PeterDude said:

I don't think so personally. Yes, he can be contrarian for the sake of it, but he makes better arguments than homers do, IMO.

He makes better arguments than Murphy, but certainly not better than Sal.  But, arguments tend to look really good when you agree with them, and pretty terrible when you disagree.  

A lot of you are better served listening to Buffalo Bills State Propaganda: The John Murphy Show 

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

This is spot on. However, the past 18 years with how ***** the bills have been, he's been right countless times and people still B word about him.

On 12/4/2018 at 8:27 PM, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

My problem with Schopp is he is extremely arrogant and he is a novice when it comes to football knowledge.  His remark on that one national radio show "Allen was pretty much lousy at Wyoming" says it all.  He admittedly didn't watch Allen at Wyoming and just parrots the accuracy comments he has heard other people say which means he is lazy also.  He is lazy about his approach to the job and talks with the arrogance of someone who is filled with knowledge and is at the top of his field. 

If you are someone who thinks Allen was "pretty much lousy at Wyoming" then your opinion is worthless.  People who have actually done the research and watched the games know despite the completion percentage stat, Allen carried that team for two years and took them to heights that they couldn't get to before and will likely not see again.  If Schopp were in a field other than talk radio, he would have been fired long ago.  The one good thing he does is he pisses people off with his ignorance which is good for ratings I suppose.  That is why he still has a job.  Almost anywhere else lazy and arrogant gets you fired pretty quickly.

This is so spot on............I've heard him talk a lot of times (I don't listen much lately, but he used to) about when "this is over" etc..............It always sounded like he was very unhappy with his job and it was beneath him.................But, I think he's so lazy - he would get destroyed in a real career, where he would more than maybe the 30 he does on a week where he doesn't take days off (which are many) 

On 12/3/2018 at 3:18 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

Really, Mike? Lamar Jackson's a better passer?

Please, Please, Mike. I beg you. Got tap dance on the 90 so we can get a different personality in your seat.

Nate Geary said Josh Allen is a better runner than Lamar Jackson so there is that. Lamar is going to run. Designed runs and he had 127 on 27 carries. Allen ran because he had an opening. Play broke down and he scooted. My wording is convoluted but the fact remains. Allen will PROBABLY be a better pro but let's compare I dont know, Allen and Darnold or something

On 12/3/2018 at 3:18 PM, Joe in Winslow said:

Really, Mike? Lamar Jackson's a better passer?

Please, Please, Mike. I beg you. Got tap dance on the 90 so we can get a different personality in your seat.

im with ya but commercials pay the bills so GR doesnt know nobody's listening. So they just keep pushing him out there. I catch the first half hour going to work and wish it was Sal everyday.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/5/2018 at 9:04 AM, thebandit27 said:

Slow your roll their partner 

He rushed the throw to Foster on the boundary and it sailed. Hardly a WTF moment, but like you said, as a Bills' fan, you had to go way too (not "to") far with it.

Sort of like you're going way too far in assuming that I rubber stamp everything the kid does; maybe instead of firing that bullet it would make sense to see if that's true first?

He's got a lot to work on, yes...but a WTF moment is the INT he threw across his body into the EZ in GB that cost the team points; not rushing a boundary throw.

So like I said: slow your roll.

Allen missed a wide open Foster, more than once in this game....so if that's not a...WTF moment, then we don't need to have a conversation about this bcuz U don't understand the game!

On 12/4/2018 at 10:17 PM, Johnnycage46 said:

But it was a 60 to 70 yard throw...overthrown by a half yard.  Most QBs probably miss that.  

Yeah...but that's supposed to be one of his strong points......I'm not trying to come down on dude....but we need for him to hit that...especially if accuracy on short passes are going to be a problem.

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Jaywrizzo said:

Allen missed a wide open Foster, more than once in this game....so if that's not a...WTF moment, then we don't need to have a conversation about this bcuz U don't understand the game!

Yeah...but that's supposed to be one of his strong points......I'm not trying to come down on dude....but we need for him to hit that...especially if accuracy on short passes are going to be a problem.

All WTF moments require an accompanying mental lapse in judgement to qualify for WTF status. 

A routine poor throw and incomplete pass simply doesn’t qualify. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, K-9 said:

All WTF moments require an accompanying mental lapse in judgement to qualify for WTF status. 

A routine poor throw and incomplete pass simply doesn’t qualify. 

Hahahaha...ok, let him keep missing these throws...you're not going to say....WTF?? Yeah....Exactly!