In the pantheon of insufferable douches, Mike Schopp is Zeus.

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

What do people want in Sports Radio talk show hosts?  

We hate Murphy, we hate Schopp, Bulldog, White, Bucky and Sully.... anyone else?  

We hate everyone in the Buffalo news.  Hate everyone on national telecasts, Lacanfora, etc....

We just want 24 hours of "Sal"?

I couldnt imagine having the job of driving content in the Buffalo market, covering 2 teams who have been really bad and not relevant for a long time

I prefer ex-atheletes who have actually played the game.  You have the people mentioned above who have dominated the media here, and act like they know everything, who haven't even played in beer leagues...look at all the groupings above, all journalists. (allegedly);  at least Murphy is partnered with Tasker or Donald Jones....

39 minutes ago, drf1835 said:

a. True, many many years ago he said he hated football and was not a fan, and liked other sports instead. His hatred of foofball shows by his idiotic comments, poor analysis, and his desire to talk about himself and other garbage instead. 

b. Partially true. He hates his job when he has to talk to all of his perceived idiotic callers, and when he has to talk football stuff. He seems to only love the part of the job where he is talking to himself, and trying to show how brillant he is and how dumb listeneres are.

Agree 100%. Listen to WGR quite a bit, but as soon as he comes on, I turn it off.

XXX - I think Sal is awesome - well balanced and typically does not treat his callers as morons as soon as they utter a word.  He will get on some that aren't well prepared, but that's about it.  I'd rather have Sal on for 24 hrs. than listen to Mikes drivel. 

Also - I agree that ex-athletes make a show much more balanced with greater insight.  I've listened to Eric Woods when he calls in, would like to see him get a shot. 

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, drf1835 said:

a. True, many many years ago he said he hated football and was not a fan, and liked other sports instead. His hatred of foofball shows by his idiotic comments, poor analysis, and his desire to talk about himself and other garbage instead. 

b. Partially true. He hates his job when he has to talk to all of his perceived idiotic callers, and when he has to talk football stuff. He seems to only love the part of the job where he is talking to himself, and trying to show how brillant he is and how dumb listeneres are.

He actually said that he hates football?  I guess that explains it a bit.  For what it's worth, he actually does get a lot of dumb callers during post game but it doesn't seem to matter...just about everyone gets the same attitude.

Ex athletes dont always (or often) make good broadcasters.  Especially when it comes to filling an entire 4-hour show.  NFL players also seem a bit more.... 'rigid' than NHL players.  I think Tasker is pretty boring on One Bills Live, and he has been doing it for going on 2 decades.  Donald Jones was an absolute bore.  Someone mentioned Eric Wood, but how would he be 20 hours a week... and would he want to move to Buffalo for a heavy-lift type of gig that pays peanuts compared to his NFL-money?

I value the point of view of a "fan" for shows like that.  Need X's and O's, that's what guests are for.  A daily 4-hour show only about analyzing the game itself, realistic roster moves, the makeup of the practice squad, etc would be awful for a 4-8 team.

4 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

There is a show on 1270 with Gleason and Sullivan.  There are various podcasts like Buscaglia and Fairburn which is quite good.  There is that one posted above.  There are options.

Does 1270 have local programming other than Bucky and Sully?

A host saying that "Lamar Jackson has out-passed Josh Allen, come at me", is a smart way to rile people up and fill in some hours.  And it is a defensible position.  It isnt from being a social justice warrior or a "lib".  Its carrying a radio program with limited content in a somewhat uninteresting Bills season.

I heard the beginning of yesterday and he said how mad he was at his friend who said he's just taking this Jackson better passer position to be contrarian..............And, yet I've heard him say he loves to be contrarian. 

5 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I thought "doosh" was a way to try to avoid the bad word filter. But apparently "douche" is just fine. Maybe it's in deference to our Quebecois posters.

Either way, I still find my juvenile mind curiously amused by the idea of the Pantheon of Insufferable Douches.

It's also a newer "cool" way of saying douche.  I used the term "doosh" earlier and I felt very cool. 

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

Ex athletes dont always (or often) make good broadcasters.  Especially when it comes to filling an entire 4-hour show.  NFL players also seem a bit more.... 'rigid' than NHL players.  I think Tasker is pretty boring on One Bills Live, and he has been doing it for going on 2 decades.  Donald Jones was an absolute bore.  Someone mentioned Eric Wood, but how would he be 20 hours a week... and would he want to move to Buffalo for a heavy-lift type of gig that pays peanuts compared to his NFL-money?

I value the point of view of a "fan" for shows like that.  Need X's and O's, that's what guests are for.  A daily 4-hour show only about analyzing the game itself, realistic roster moves, the makeup of the practice squad, etc would be awful for a 4-8 team.

It would be bad even for an 8-4 team.     

20 hours ago, The Senator said:

Welll, friend, I’ll agree that Buffalo is woefully short when it comes to sports radio.

But Schoop is not sports radio, and never has been.  He’s a wanna be shock jock, and doesn’t even do that well.  Schoop is a wee tiny piece of fecal matter clinging to my rectal hair.  I wipe him off, and flush him down the toilet.

I don'teven watch WGRZ-TV because of that a-hole, lest there still be some loose affiliation.

Sorry I can’t suggest an alternative, other than reading - the which is a skill Schoop does’t posess.

Maybe our Rochester Bills fans have the solution.

What kind of host do you like? 

Do you like homers - Murphy and Sal give you that.

Do you like guys who just roll out of bed and start talking sports - you have Chris Parker and Howard Simon. 

Do you like you like young hosts - Derek Kramer, Joe Diabase, Brayton Wilson

Nationally what hosts do you like? Fox usually has a distinct difference from ESPN. Clay Travis, Mike and Wingo, Dan Lebatard, Colin Cowherd, Dan Patrick, Jim Rome and do on. 

So you bash Schopp, tell us who’s style you like the most. 

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Do you like guys who just roll out of bed and start talking sports - you have Chris Parker and Howard Simon. 

Nationally what hosts do you like? Fox usually has a distinct difference from ESPN. Clay Travis, Mike and Wingo, Dan Lebatard, Colin Cowherd, Dan Patrick, Jim Rome and do on. 

Haha.  That's a pretty good assessment.

I haven't been listening much at all - is Bulldog's son still playing for the Soo in the AHL.  I didn't see him on the roster, although I saw he made the team at the end of August.

22 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Locally I like Josh Reed, Sal Cappscio, Thad Brown, Murph, Tasker, basically anyone who’s not an a-hole and a douchebag like Schoop.

Nationally, I’d say Cynthia Frelund is my favorite.

Edited by The Senator

30 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Sal isn't a homer. He does with for the Bills so he can't trash em. But he's pretty even keeled. Maybe you are thinking of someone more fair and balanced like Coach Chuck Dickerson?

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Locally I like Josh Reed, Sal Cappscio, Thad Brown, Murph, Tasker, basically anyone who’s not an a-hole and a douchebag like Schoop.

Nationally, I’d say Cynthia Frelund is my favorite.

So that makes sense. You generally like homers. Sal and Murph fall into that category. 

You don’t like Schopp, and I’d guess Jeremy White, because they actively challenge the Bills and Sabres decisions and logic. 

I have no idea who Cynthia Frelund is. 

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Sal isn't a homer. He does with for the Bills so he can't trash em. But he's pretty even keeled. Maybe you are thinking of someone more fair and balanced like Coach Chuck Dickerson?

Sal is generally a homer. He doesn’t fit with fans who criticize the team. 

Generally he swoops in to defend the Bills. 

Dickerson was a loud mouth, but part of his schtick pulled you in because the debate was spirited. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

So that makes sense. You generally like homers. Sal and Murph fall into that category. 

You don’t like Schopp, and I’d guess Jeremy White, because they actively challenge the Bills and Sabres decisions and logic. 

I have no idea who Cynthia Frelund is. 

Sal is generally a homer. He doesn’t fit with fans who criticize the team. 

Generally he swoops in to defend the Bills. 

Dickerson was a loud mouth, but part of his schtick pulled you in because the debate was spirited. 

Some fans want negative. It's a catharsis.

On 12/3/2018 at 3:45 PM, OrtonHearsaWho said:

Mercifully I live in Rochester so I only listen to Schopp during post game on WCMF (I mean could still listen to him in other ways but I don't hate myself enough to do that).  I honestly believe that a) he really is not that big of a fan of the Bills and b) he genuinely hates his job.  The utter disdain and contempt that he seems to have with seemingly EVERY caller is insane.

I think they disdain is for football. They both positively glow when talking about hockey even when the sabres suck. The problem is they are both Hockey guys and don't seem to know much about any other sport.