Generation X: Arcade Games You Kicked Ass At

Gugny

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

at a KOA campground in Vermont my cousin and I were able to scrounge out about 100 Canadian quarters that didn't go fully through the return slot on pinball machines and games, that was a great night for an 11 year old

I had a similar experience at the old Buffalo while waiting for someone.  I did the usual kid thing of hitting the coin return button on a Breakout machine and the quarters came pouring out.  We were kings that day, playing the game non-stop.  I've always gotten a good laugh when I see people who always test those buttons and check the coin slot on vending machines, even though it paid off big time for me that day.

18 minutes ago, shrader said:

I had a similar experience at the old Buffalo while waiting for someone.  I did the usual kid thing of hitting the coin return button on a Breakout machine and the quarters came pouring out.  We were kings that day, playing the game non-stop.  I've always gotten a good laugh when I see people who always test those buttons and check the coin slot on vending machines, even though it paid off big time for me that day.

the Canadian quarter was a bit thicker than the US, would wedge with just enough for a fingernail to dig into it

the second night they told us no-go on exchanging them...

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

Anyone remember Dragon's Lair?  I used to be able to finish that game.  It was at a local supermarket, of all places.   

Absolutely. It was the first role-playing "make a choice" arcade game. Also the first game for Sega CD.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Funny I know these two artsy, genius, sisters.  About 6 years ago, I was hanging with one-and she told me she would kick my ass at Galaga.  I grew up in arcades, and said no way- we need to find a Galaga machine.  Well we found one at Cutlers Record shop in New Haven.  She kicked my ass!  I never saw a Galaga wiz like her!  She got over 200,000!

During a few week stretch of med school, I played Galaga quite a bit.  Actually got to 999,998 and then died.

Anyone remember Dragon's Lair?  I used to be able to finish that game.  It was at a local supermarket, of all places.  That game and Donkey Kong Jr., which I loved.

I remember that game required a lot of quarters and had a steep learning curve — not to mention some GBID approved graphics.

There were a lot of good ones:

USA/USSR bubble hockey (LW had the long stick)

Pole Position

Astroids

Tron

Burger Time

Donkey Kong 

MC

Centipede

12 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Tempest

Thats the one I was just trying to remember!

Anyone remember Dragon's Lair?  I used to be able to finish that game.  It was at a local supermarket, of all places.  That game and Donkey Kong Jr., which I loved.

I was obsessed with Dragon's Lair, and I lost so much money on it.

I could never beat that game. :angry:

Space Ace was a lot of fun too, and more improved since they gave you even more multiple choices in playing as Dexter or Ace.

Great animation from Don Bluth.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No one on here could beat me in Street Fighter II.  Vega or Ryu and I will sleep all of you.

Someone challenge my statement!

945e5e7e-125b-4156-8254-05800f7a188b_2.7

$300.  check out all t he different editions.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

So how long did this hunt for a Galaga machine take?

look no further.

e73fcaad-f747-4e63-b290-79cacc03a065_1.8

Edited by teef

3 hours ago, shrader said:

The Mount Washington hotel up in NH has a room that looks almost exactly like that.  I would have asked if that's where this was, but I don't think they're a place that has changed names.

Nope, the hotel I was at is the western edge of PA, almost on the border with Ohio. 

This thread has inspired me.  We have this one spot in the house where we need to put something but have no idea what to get.  An old arcade game would fit perfectly.  I'm sure I can get the wife to go along with this one.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

This thread has inspired me.  We have this one spot in the house where we need to put something but have no idea what to get.  An old arcade game would fit perfectly.  I'm sure I can get the wife to go along with this one.

rehearse your argument until you sure it is 100% foolproof

let us know how it goes, we are pulling for you