Very curious to see what Allen can do with protection.

Ramza86

Hes got the arm and the mobility to keep this offense moving. Very impressive. 

Still throwing some darts in the pocket, but he also does have his errors. 

He seems like hes at his best when the play breaks down. Wondering if he had a clean pocket would he be able to consistently make the right throw.

Anyways...I think the kid has greatness in him. Lets see if we can protect him and get him the talent he needs. 

I'll have to go back and watch the past couple games in detail, but off the top of my head my impression is more like he's quite accurate when he has time to set up in the pocket, and that he tends to spray it more when he's scrambling.  Either way, it will be neat to watch this kid the next few years especially as they build weapons around him.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

It seems like he could help himself a lot by making quicker decisions. Sometimes it's frustrating to see him not hit the check-down in time, but he can also rely on his running ability as a check-down substitute.

THIS!

Allen tends to throw a bit behind the receiver. He isn't processing the defense quick enough and is late to the throw. 

make a wish that someday he finally gets an offensive line to your satisfaction

in the meantime he has to adjust to reality

we'll see what a real team does in prep to contain him a few times coming up

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I'll have to go back and watch the past couple games in detail, but off the top of my head my impression is more like he's quite accurate when he has time to set up in the pocket, and that he tends to spray it more when he's scrambling.  Either way, it will be neat to watch this kid the next few years especially as they build weapons around him.

My theory is the opposite. I think he’s actually more comfortable scrambling outside the pocket, and that’s where you usually see his best throws. If you’re going back over the last two games, what are the att/comp/yards from the pocket vs. after evading a rush? No rushing yards, just the passing. He’s obviously a fantastic runner but we’re just looking at accuracy here. I deleted both games after watching otherwise I might do it. 

41 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

He gets plenty of time.

He makes his own issues with protection. 

The O line is above average.

What? This O Line is not above average, it is below average. Now I will agree with you Allen does makes some of his own issues with protection. holds the ball too long, but then again our WRs suck at getting separation, with the exception of the one trick pony Foster and the deep ball.

I think Josh can make FA a lot easier for McBeane if he continues playing like he played the last 2 weeks.  Kid is showing off exactly why we traded up for him and is showing tremendous leadership.  Josh is certainly someone that guys will want to play with and could make Buffalo much more attractive, we are witnessing the construction of something great and some fans still can't see it.

• Like (+1) 1

I just watched the "every play" video for Allen and thought that he had at least average time on quite a few passes.  Sometimes I think that fans seem to think that 5 or 6 seconds in the pocket is reasonable when the league average is always around 3.  

Either way, I had on plays that he seemed to have at least a reasonable amount of time him going 17 of 26 for about 180 yards (plus/minus a few), for 1 TD and 2 INTs.  He had more than enough time on both INT plays to not throw an INT tho.  

He seems to run the moment that a play seems to break down or he doesn't hit his first option.  As well, some of those plays were plays that were designed quick passes, usually in the flats or on fades, etc.  

It's encouraging, but as I always maintain, there is not a franchise QB out there that does not butter his bread on the short-medium throws.  In this game his deep-throws were not reliable.  

The OL isn't the best, obviously, but he had decent time in this game.  

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

the stats from yesterdays game say otherwise. 62% completion percentage when outside the pocket and 50% from within. 

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

My theory is the opposite. I think he’s actually more comfortable scrambling outside the pocket, and that’s where you usually see his best throws. If you’re going back over the last two games, what are the att/comp/yards from the pocket vs. after evading a rush? No rushing yards, just the passing. He’s obviously a fantastic runner but we’re just looking at accuracy here. I deleted both games after watching otherwise I might do it. 

your theory is correct based on accuracy inside and outside the pocket from yesterdays game