Noah Fant - TE Iowa - Should Bills pick at 8

Sanners

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

When Jay Riemersma is the standard bearer for the last time we had a great tight end, it's a systemic problem.

I don't have a major problem keeping Clay around. He's not terrible despite the knee jerk reaction hatred from the missed opportunity yesterday. He's also not good enough and not worth the contract. He's our best blocker, so it may make sense to keep him around as a TE2. If Croom makes strides and it's neck and neck between the two, then you obviously dump Clay.

My thoughts on Clay go farther than the drop in Miami.

The biggest problem is he misses way to much practice with nagging problems, maintenance days and vet days.

JA needs a full time TE to get comfortable with.

The next is, unless the Bills plan on extending him (which I doubt entirely) they probably should move on from him and get a guy who can grow

with the offense.

Lastly, he costs too much and is getting slow.

8 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

When Jay Riemersma is the standard bearer for the last time we had a great tight end, it's a systemic problem.

I don't have a major problem keeping Clay around. He's not terrible despite the knee jerk reaction hatred from the missed opportunity yesterday. He's also not good enough and not worth the contract. He's our best blocker, so it may make sense to keep him around as a TE2. If Croom makes strides and it's neck and neck between the two, then you obviously dump Clay.

How dare you talk about Lee Smith!!!

and I agree about Clay.  I just think the injuries have just killed him.  With a better qb, he could have been a weapon but it’s time to move on.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

My thoughts on Clay go farther than the drop in Miami.

The biggest problem is he misses way to much practice with nagging problems, maintenance days and vet days.

JA needs a full time TE to get comfortable with.

The next is, unless the Bills plan on extending him (which I doubt entirely) they probably should move on from him and get a guy who can grow

with the offense.

Lastly, he costs too much and is getting slow.

I think they absolutely must address the position and draft a legit number 1 TE.

That being said, it doesn't really save us much to cut bait after this season, which means you may as well keep him unless you think Croom or a second replacement is better.

I highly doubt they will be hamstrung by the cap in any way, shape or form next season. I'd be surprised if they got within 10 million of the cap to be honest.

Edited by LSHMEAB

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Sorry, Njoku is 14th in yards. 

And my point is you can get a good TE outside the 1st round and there have been more than a few 1st round busts.  But that goes for every position.

I don't know anything about this kid from Iowa.  I just think dismissing a TE as a top 10 pick isn't wise.

I'd bet the hit rate is higher than WRs...

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

How dare you talk about Lee Smith!!!

and I agree about Clay.  I just think the injuries have just killed him.  With a better qb, he could have been a weapon but it’s time to move on.

I don't disagree. I just don't think it's prudent to dump him for what he's ALREADY been overpaid.

If he's the second best TE on the team next season, why not keep him around? If he's the BEST TE on the team next season, we've got a real problem.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't know anything about this kid from Iowa.  I just think dismissing a TE as a top 10 pick isn't wise.

I'd bet the hit rate is higher than WRs...

Meh. It's actually pretty low, although there's not a huge sample size recently. Pretty much all the top TE's went after the first round.

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't disagree. I just don't think it's prudent to dump him for what he's ALREADY been overpaid.

If he's the second best TE on the team next season, why not keep him around? If he's the BEST TE on the team next season, we've got a real problem.

Meh. It's actually pretty low, although there's not a huge sample size recently. Pretty much all the top TE's went after the first round.

Ok, how low is it, actually?

And you have to look beyond the current year's stats and at careers since picked.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ok, how low is it, actually?

And you have to look beyond the current year's stats and at careers since picked.

The only top ten pick in the last decade is Ebron, and he's been a disappointment. It's pretty hit or miss later in the first round.

It just seems anecdotally that you can find really good TE's in the 3rd or 4th almost every year whereas the number 1 receivers are almost always top picks.

If they were blown away by a TE, I wouldn't dismiss it. This guy from Iowa doesn't strike me as worthy of that kind of investment. Would much rather take the best WR first and look for TE later on.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

The only top ten pick in the last decade is Ebron, and he's been a disappointment. It's pretty hit or miss later in the first round.

It just seems anecdotally that you can find really good TE's in the 3rd or 4th almost every year whereas the number 1 receivers are almost always top picks.

If they were blown away by a TE, I wouldn't dismiss it. This guy from Iowa doesn't strike me as worthy of that kind of investment. Would much rather take the best WR first and look for TE later on.

I was thinking 1st round TE vs WR.

11 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think they absolutely must address the position and draft a legit number 1 TE.

That being said, it doesn't really save us much to cut bait after this season, which means you may as well keep him unless you think Croom or a second replacement is better.

I highly doubt they will be hamstrung by the cap in any way, shape or form next season. I'd be surprised if they got within 10 million of the cap to be honest.

Beane may keep him for his last year paying him to hopefully be a #2 but I just get the feeling he is the big vet that goes.

As to the cap stuff..........it isn't about cap space for next year.  Just more about $'s vs. production.

Personally (and I've posted this a few times already)  I think some people will be a little shocked when the Bills have 20+ million

to carry over to 2020.  I agree with you that there is no way Beane spends it all on 1 FA season. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I was thinking 1st round TE vs WR.

That sounds like a lot of work!

But it would be interesting to see actual data. 

There are more top TE'S drafted in the middle rounds than there are top receivers. Not quite sure what the relative bust PCTG. actually is because obviously more WR's are taken.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Beane may keep him for his last year paying him to hopefully be a #2 but I just get the feeling he is the big vet that goes.

As to the cap stuff..........it isn't about cap space for next year.  Just more about $'s vs. production.

Personally (and I've posted this a few times already)  I think some people will be a little shocked when the Bills have 20+ million

to carry over to 2020.  I agree with you that there is no way Beane spends it all on 1 FA season. 

The thing is 2019 is Clay's last season under contract so there's no real issue going forward.

I would only advocate keeping Clay if he's truly  our 2nd best TE. Bemoaning the money he's already earned won't recoup any of it nor will cutting bait. I could see him sticking around as a number 2. I don't buy the lack of effort arguments. He misplayed a not so great pass. Should have caught it, but didn't. He's not a KB type slouch IMO and he can block.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am a die hard Hawkeye fan. I pray that the Bills stay away from Fant.

I can already tell you how Fant will play out as a pro: he will flash as a rookie, receive lots of hype, underperform until his contract year, and then he will flash again when the money is on the line.

He played this entire season to not get hurt.

the REAL TE on the Hawkeyes is TJ Hockenson. He is a George Kittle clone in terms of playing style. Great blocker, great hands, and an underrated athlete. Plus he gives great effort and is consistent. Fant disappears and is inconsistent.

It sickens me what that team could have done this year if Fant was not playing scared. He’s a great talent, but playing not to get hurt is a HUGE red flag, IMO.

(edit to clarify last sentence)

Edited by schoolhouserock

1 hour ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Albert O out of Mizzou is better.

You are correct.

And no one responding to this thread seems to care.

I told everyone on BBMB that Josh Allen was the target for the Bills QB position back in 2016 once McDermott took over.

I will tell everyone on here right now that Albert O is the target of the Bills for 2019. As of now, they think he is the perfect fit for Allen.

But, we shall see as things change by the second leading up to the draft and/or FA.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Sanners said:

With Fant declaring for the 2019 draft, and the Bills big time need for a TE, do you think we select him at 8 (our current position).  I’ve seen a couple games and he looks the part. Anyone a Hawkeye fan with more insight?

I would be disappointed by such a high pick on a TE.

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

6. Buffalo Bills D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss

Even though the Bills could stand to improve on the defensive line, their defense has been a great story this year; it’s their offense that needs the most help.

Quarterback Josh Allen has been fine, and even though the media loves to beat up on Allen because it’s low hanging fruit, he has progressed. What would allow him to take the next step is if the Bills’ second best wide receiver wasn’t Robert Foster.

D.K. Metcalf would not only be Buffalo’s second best wide receiver, he’d be their first best wide receiver — Trevor, you don’t have to say “first best,” best is implied.

Metcalf missed the last portion of Ole Miss’ season with a neck injury. As long as the neck checks out, this 6-3, 225-pound outside wide receiver was just starting to scratch the surface of what he’s capable of.

37. Buffalo Bills: Noah Fant, TE, Iowa

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Looks like Noah Fant is going to the Mason Rudolph of this year. The guy people want us to draft in the top ten, who goes significantly lower than that on draft day. 

No way a TE should be the Bills' pick in the 1st round with the OL being a much higher priority.  A number of other positions are greater needs such as WR, CB, and maybe DL. 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No way a TE should be the Bills' pick in the 1st round with the OL being a much higher priority.  A number of other positions are greater needs such as WR, CB, and maybe DL. 

Agreed (I think OL is fixed in FA and defense is drafted early). I'm just saying this two Noah Fant threads so far and we are months away from the draft. My fear is that there will be many, many, many more threads advocating picking the dude in the top ten. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Agreed (I think OL is fixed in FA and defense is drafted early). I'm just saying this two Noah Fant posts so far and we are months away from the draft. My fear is that there will be many, many, many more posts advocating picking the dude in the top ten. 

That would be unwise and I don't believe it'll happen. 

• Like (+1) 1