Noah Fant - TE Iowa - Should Bills pick at 8

Sanners

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

Ebron's in his 5th season and with a different team than the one who drafted him.  He like Olsen were late bloomers, although Ebron still has a ton more to prove.  Howard is doing well.  Njoku is actually 14th in receptions. 

Davis was worth the pick but it took him until his 4th season to get going.  Watson is JAG but has played for 15 seasons.  Eifert was a 2nd rounder. 

Valid point on Eifert.

Invalid on Njoku, on NFL.ocm stats right now, he's tied with Graham at 9 with 44 catches each.

Invalid on Watson.  5 seasons for over 500 yards---on 4 different teams.  You make being a productive 1st rounder for 15 years sound like a bad thing! 

Also, once Olsen was regularly starting, he was fine.  By his second season, he was 54/574/5 TDs in 7 starts. Fantastic investment by the Panthers. 

Also, Ebron, by his second season  he had 47/537/5 TD in 8 starts.  240 catches 22 TDs in 4+ seasons.  What's wrong with that?  As for not currently playing for the team that drafted him....so what?  That team sucks.  On his new team, he's got 54 catches/589 yards/11TDs---and he just got there. 

Also, Davis in his first season had a young Alex Smith who through for under 3000 yards and only 16 TDs.  By the next season, he was SF's 2nd leading receiver (check out his QB roster in '07 and '08).

Olsen, Ebron, Njoku, Davis---all great picks for TE.  I'm not sure what your point is if it took them a little time to "get going".  So what?  Look at their circumstances and how quickly they actually productive. 

44 minutes ago, Doc said:

Ebron's in his 5th season and with a different team than the one who drafted him.  He like Olsen were late bloomers, although Ebron still has a ton more to prove.  Howard is doing well.  Njoku is actually 14th in receptions. 

Davis was worth the pick but it took him until his 4th season to get going.  Watson is JAG but has played for 15 seasons.  Eifert was a 2nd rounder. 

There is another second round TE that turned to be pretty good.  I haven’t seen his name mentioned in this thread...

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Valid point on Eifert.

Invalid on Njoku, on NFL.ocm stats right now, he's tied with Graham at 9 with 44 catches each.

Invalid on Watson.  5 seasons for over 500 yards---on 4 different teams.  You make being a productive 1st rounder for 15 years sound like a bad thing! 

Also, once Olsen was regularly starting, he was fine.  By his second season, he was 54/574/5 TDs in 7 starts. Fantastic investment by the Panthers. 

Also, Ebron, by his second season  he had 47/537/5 TD in 8 starts.  240 catches 22 TDs in 4+ seasons.  What's wrong with that?  As for not currently playing for the team that drafted him....so what?  That team sucks.  On his new team, he's got 54 catches/589 yards/11TDs---and he just got there. 

Also, Davis in his first season had a young Alex Smith who through for under 3000 yards and only 16 TDs.  By the next season, he was SF's 2nd leading receiver (check out his QB roster in '07 and '08).

Olsen, Ebron, Njoku, Davis---all great picks for TE.  I'm not sure what your point is if it took them a little time to "get going".  So what?  Look at their circumstances and how quickly they actually productive. 

Ebron was not a great pick

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Ebron was not a great pick

Ok....you can simply say that, I guess.  It's a free country.

But the Bills could have had him in 2014 and not given up the next year's 1st and 4th rounder for him.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Ok....you can simply say that, I guess.  It's a free country.

But the Bills could have had him in 2014 and not given up the next year's 1st and 4th rounder for him.

And you think he would have done well on this team?   The guy had a legit QB passer THROWING TO HIM and he is now on his second team....meaning they didnt want him.

He also doesnt block.

I am not singing our TE's praises at all....to me Clay is done.....the other guys are number 2's at best.   We do need a TE that can do it all.....but NOT AT 8 please

We need to put a line in front of Josh Allen that can actually make a real NFL pocket to throw from....if we want him to develop into a legit pocket passer

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

And you think he would have done well on this team?   The guy had a legit QB passer THROWING TO HIM and he is now on his second team....meaning they didnt want him.

He also doesnt block.

I am not singing our TE's praises at all....to me Clay is done.....the other guys are number 2's at best.   We do need a TE that can do it all.....but NOT AT 8 please

We need to put a line in front of Josh Allen that can actually make a real NFL pocket to throw from....if we want him to develop into a legit pocket passer

Yeah and he had over 700 yards in a season in Detroit and they got rid of him.  The Bills got rid of Watkins and the 2 1st round picks it took to rent him for a few years.

On "this team?"  This team has kept Clay around for years and he sucks.

Draft a HOF LT at 8 then.  It will have no impact on the Bills offense.  Teams have already done this---over and over.

The Bills, of all teams, have proven that you can find very good LTs wherever.  Blowing a top 10 pick on a nonplaymaker pick is a wasted pick.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Draft a HOF LT at 8 then.  It will have no impact on the Bills offense.  Teams have already done this---over and over.

The Bills, of all teams, have proven that you can find very good LTs wherever.  Blowing a top 10 pick on a nonplaymaker pick is a wasted pick.

To invest in the uglies that play up on the lines is absolutely not a wasted pick.....I do however hope we use several picks (and free agency money) on playmakers this offseason

As the fine fanny woman said on the movie the blindside said

"The first check you write is for the house"

"The second is for the insurance"

6 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Not at 8. No TE is worth that.  Tampa drafted OJ Howard at 19 and are still looking for a payday after 2 years. He is coming on, but not a game-changer. Ebron went  10th and it's taken him 4 years and 2 teams to make any impact. Ertz and Gronk were drafted in the 2nd round.  Kelce and Cook went in the 3rd. We need a stud, game changing WR if we draft in the top 10.  OL, TE, RB stars have been found in rounds 2-5 and beyond.

OJ Howard is certainly becoming one of the better TEs in this league. He's a physical freak. I had him in fantasy this year so I'm aware of his production. I think the only thing keeping him from turning into an all pro tight end at this point is he is in a crowded offense. There are a ton of mouths to feed between Mike Evans, DeSean Jackson, Chris Godwin, Adam Humphries and Cameron Brate. In an offense with a couple less mouths to feed and no turnover prone QBs like Winston and Fitzpatrick, I certainly believe he can and would be a game changing tight end

Edited by Buffalo03

I’m always on the TE train (both in football and real life :) ).  It’s the second most neglected position in this franchise besides qb.  I think every qb needs a monster mismatch to throw to.

that said, we have far too many needs to spend a top 10 pick on a TE.  But I’m good with one any other round.  I want a monster.

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

If the Bills signed Jesse James or CJ Uzomah they wouldn't need to draft a TE in the top rounds.

Just saying........LOL........FA first.

CJ has frying pans for hands and James is slow. I’m fine with them as number 2 types but let’s get a legit game breaker.

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m always on the TE train (both in football and real life :) ).  It’s the second most neglected position in this franchise besides qb.  I think every qb needs a monster mismatch to throw to.

that said, we have far too many needs to spend a top 10 pick on a TE.  But I’m good with one any other round.  I want a monster.

CJ has frying pans for hands and James is slow. I’m fine with them as number 2 types but let’s get a legit game breaker.

When Jay Riemersma is the standard bearer for the last time we had a great tight end, it's a systemic problem.

I don't have a major problem keeping Clay around. He's not terrible despite the knee jerk reaction hatred from the missed opportunity yesterday. He's also not good enough and not worth the contract. He's our best blocker, so it may make sense to keep him around as a TE2. If Croom makes strides and it's neck and neck between the two, then you obviously dump Clay.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

CJ has frying pans for hands

Good start to your reply. LOL.

They got to replace Clay and I agree with your monster sized TE not in the 1st round.

My FA remarks were mainly about all the draft talk already.   

ps.  I do get a good laugh when people use the ".....has frying pans for hands" image!

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Valid point on Eifert.

Sorry, Njoku is 14th in yards. 

And my point is you can get a good TE outside the 1st round and there have been more than a few 1st round busts.  But that goes for every position.