What is Clay doing 8 yards deep in the end zone?

Anyone have access to the all-22? I'd be interested to see what Clay was doing before the ball was thrown. In the replays it looks like there's no one in front of Clay. It's 4th and 11 with enough time on the clock that they didn't need a score there, it looks like he should have been coming back towards Allen even before he made the throw. At least be back near the goal line and give your QB some help.

2 hours ago, elroy16 said:

Anyone have access to the all-22? I'd be interested to see what Clay was doing before the ball was thrown. In the replays it looks like there's no one in front of Clay. It's 4th and 11 with enough time on the clock that they didn't need a score there, it looks like he should have been coming back towards Allen even before he made the throw. At least be back near the goal line and give your QB some help.

there was no one near him.  

Maybe he was thinking  "if I catch it with my feet in the EZ its a sure TD"

Was he fully aware he had a 5 to 10 foot bumper he could have come out caught it and "fell" back in.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

It's over and Clay will no longer be a Bill at seasons end.

My interest is the release of Clay a cap hit or cap savings. I wonder if anyone knows?

$4.5 million dead cap hit if he's cut

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/charles-clay-7893/

With the amount of room they have, that's not much, and there's no hit after next year. 

2 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I love how everyone just assumes it's easy to track where a flying, fluttering ball coming right at you from 40 yards away is going to land. 

Allen was running for his life, you expect perfect precision on his part.

Clay is paid a lot of money to make plays.

Make the darn play.

18 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Allen was running for his life, you expect perfect precision on his part.

Clay is paid a lot of money to make plays.

Make the darn play.

said like a guy who's never played the game

24 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I love how everyone just assumes it's easy to track where a flying, fluttering ball coming right at you from 40 yards away is going to land. 

It's not even that part that annoyed me. It was Clay standing in the corner of the end zone while your QB has scrambled to the opposite side of the field. If it was the last play of the game, fine, but there was time and he didn't need to force Allen into that tough of a throw. 

This is why I want to see the all-22. Was he just standing at the back of the end zone? With the amount of time Allen was scrambling, it seems like Clay should have had time to already come back to at least the goal line when the throw was made. 

Edited by elroy16

7 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

It's not even that part that annoyed me. It was Clay standing in the corner of the end zone while your QB has scrambled to the opposite side of the field. If it was the last play of the game, fine, but there was time and he didn't need to force Allen into that tough of a throw. 

This is why I want to see the all-22. Was he just standing at the back of the end zone? With the amount of time Allen was scrambling, it seems like Clay should have had time to already come back to at least the goal line when the throw was made. 

lol now this I can see getting upset over...know idea what Clay was doing. Maybe he was lost. 

1 minute ago, Domdab99 said:

Yeah, because real football is so much like Madden. Just make the play, right??

I can see your argument if Allen missed that throw by a mile, but Clay was in the area code to make the catch.

If you wanna defend Clay, that’s fine.

It’s over and let’s move on to the Jets.

Allen has a chance to further his development, which sets up for an exciting off season and a lead up to the start of 2019.

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I can see your argument if Allen missed that throw by a mile, but Clay was in the area code to make the catch.

If you wanna defend Clay, that’s fine.

It’s over and let’s move on to the Jets.

Allen has a chance to further his development, which sets up for an exciting off season and a lead up to the start of 2019.

I'm not a Clay fan, but that kind of throw is about as difficult to gauge as any on the field. It's easier for a receiver to gauge a ball as he's running at an angle from the throw, and/or running in the same direction as the throw or perpendicular to it. 

Coming straight back to a fluttering ball from a QB with a howitzer for an arm, well, it's really not at all surprising that Clay misplayed it some. 

Should he have caught it? Probably. But I understand why he didn't. 

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

I'm not a Clay fan, but that kind of throw is about as difficult to gauge as any on the field. It's easier for a receiver to gauge a ball as he's running at an angle from the throw, and/or running in the same direction as the throw or perpendicular to it. 

Coming straight back to a fluttering ball from a QB with a howitzer for an arm, well, it's really not at all surprising that Clay misplayed it some. 

Should he have caught it? Probably. But I understand why he didn't. 

Fair wnough.

Here's a crappy gif of the final play.

https://i.imgur.com/XGNOC0X.gifv

As expected, Clay runs to the middle of the back of the end zone and then coasts to his right until Allen throws it. Also not shocking, Benjamin runs down the right sideline to the back of the end zone and then runs past Clay towards the middle of the back of the end zone. 

What's kind of interesting is there's a defender near Clay when Allen throws it, but he starts running with KB and leaves Clay wide open.

Not good execution on the final, most important play of the game. They've got 3 guys in the end zone like they have to score on the play. Really the main conclusion I draw from this play is that they desperately need to practice a similar situation in practice and also scramble drills.