What is Clay doing 8 yards deep in the end zone?

23 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

All22 wasn’t up yet when I looked, but that will tell the painful story of the near win 

46 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

Is there a video that shows the entire field during the last play, or at least one that focuses more on Clay?  As mentioned here and in another thread, I think the bigger issue with Clay on the last play is that he didn't come back to the ball and/or stumbled when he attempted to do so.  It just seemed like the ball was in the air long enough for him to come back to the ball a lot more than he did.

If video it exists in another post just let me know.

1 hour ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I remember hearing on radio that all the receivers ran deep to end zone 

Go to the end and can see enough that there was plenty of time to adjust, no one within 20 yards and also can see 3 Bills in the back of the end zone.

Also the third down pass to Zay was not PI and frankly should have too been caught.  

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

Slight? 

i wouldn't want to be judged based solely on the worst play of my career (still pending I guess)

trying to be nice to Clay as the rage subsides almost 24 hours later

38 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

In the calm light of day, the guy had a shot to catch it but didn't. 

It's a shame, it was a beautifully chaotic thing  to watch unfold, and it sure would have been exciting for the rookie to win one like that.

he may have been the most surprised person there or watching on TV to find the ball was coming right at him and 100% catchable

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

If that was a 6 year old Little Loop WR instead of Clay that ball would have been caught.  It was like a soft pop fly to center field, a complete lack of judgement and depth perception until it was too late. Clay is a POS.

Ok let’s be real, that still wasn’t a soft pop fly for a 6 year old. Allen threw that ball like 50+ yards and it got there in like 3 seconds .

There isn’t any 6 year old that could catch that ball if we are being honest 

Clay should have but no child could lol

Edited by Buffalo716

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ok let’s be real, that still wasn’t a soft pop fly. Allen threw that ball like 50+ yards and it got there in like 3 seconds .

do you watch what QBs and WRs do nonchalantly in warmups for NFL games?

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

do you watch what QBs and WRs do nonchalantly in warmups for NFL games?

Yes. 

He said a 6 year old coulda caught that... that’s absolutely false. 

That is not a soft pop fly for a 6 year old. That was my point

for a grown NFL player, obviously 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Ok let’s be real, that still wasn’t a soft pop fly. Allen threw that ball like 50+ yards and it got there in like 3 seconds .

I give my 9 yr old a 50/50 shot at catching that, but he’s an intense competitor. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes. 

He said a 6 year old coulda caught that... that’s absolutely false. 

That is not a soft pop fly for a 6 year old. That was my point

for a grown NFL player, obviously 

sometimes sports fans engage in a little bit of fun hyperbole, sometimes they exaggerate, sometimes they use metaphors or similes

sometimes they engage in tired old tropes

thanks for letting us know though....  :D

• Thank you (+1) 1

Lofton questioned the same thing on the air - said that Clay acted like he had to keep his feet in the end zone rather than come back more to the ball.

These plays and decisions happen in seconds and I will never say it is easy, but the general rule is if it hits you in the hands you should make the catch. I think Clay should go, not because I am mad at the player, but rather because his injuries keep him off the field too much and I would rather have the team develop or bring in a TE that Josh can build up some chemistry with and he is just not performing up to his contract/expectations.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I give my 9 yr old a 50/50 shot at catching that, but he’s an intense competitor. 

You are being a father with pride.

there is 0 chance with full equipment in the heat of the game a 9 year old catches that. You are just being loving , not realistic 

i played D1 ball, I wasn’t catching that at 9 in an NFL game... maybe as a high schooler 

no child is catching that ball in the moment. 

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

sometimes sports fans engage in a little bit of fun hyperbole, sometimes they exaggerate, sometimes they use metaphors or similes

sometimes they engage in tired old tropes

thanks for letting us know though....  :D

I get that ? 

sarcasm doesn’t translate over the internet and it’s hard to tell when someone’s serious 

clay dropped it... but I wouldn’t compound it by saying a child would’ve won the game for us ... because that just makes me sad... and it’s unrealistic 

Edited by Buffalo716

4 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

If that was Croom instead of Clay, then that ball would have been caught.

I agree, you're taught in pop warner to come back toward your qb if he's running for his life. Clay has been useless his entire career with the Bills. Just another drop to remember him by.

5 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Lofton questioned the same thing on the air - said that Clay acted like he had to keep his feet in the end zone rather than come back more to the ball.

These plays and decisions happen in seconds and I will never say it is easy, but the general rule is if it hits you in the hands you should make the catch. I think Clay should go, not because I am mad at the player, but rather because his injuries keep him off the field too much and I would rather have the team develop or bring in a TE that Josh can build up some chemistry with and he is just not performing up to his contract/expectations.

if he starts coming back to the ball he easily catches it at the 2-yard line and we have first and goal with probably 30 seconds left, plenty of time to run 4 plays.....

13 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Lofton also said that Clay had pretty much lost his job to Jason Croom and Logan Thomas.  Keeping around a bench warmer for pass protection and run blocking is about right for Below Buffalo.  

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Here's the snap count for the year.  Yeah it sure looks like Clay lost his job LOL.  

image.thumb.png.fbff0ca19462099ec191cdca26e7a523.png

Sad that a gimpy Clay is our go-to guy. Still does not change my mind that it is a position ripe for upgrade.

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah I would like an upgrade than Clay but I just needed to point out the obvious error by Joe.

It's all good.

The Wall can get a bit hectic - it is not for the faint of heart.... or the error-prone.

You know...I stopped watching the game in the 3rd Quarter, so I hadn't seen the play and was willing to give Clay the benefit of the doubt. Just watched it on Youtube....I would spend the rest of the season evaluating the other tight ends and make sure Clay didn't see the field again in a Bills uniform.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jkirchofer said:

You know...I stopped watching the game in the 3rd Quarter, so I hadn't seen the play and was willing to give Clay the benefit of the doubt. Just watched it on Youtube....I would spend the rest of the season evaluating the other tight ends and make sure Clay didn't see the field again in a Bills uniform.

can you believe the high % on here blaming Allen on this?

a few insisted he really didn't have much to avoid in the rush....

22 hours ago, BobChalmers said:

I've got no problem with Croom and Thomas as talented projects and backups.  Thomas is useful as an emergency /trick play QB too.

I do have a problem with them being the starters at this point in their careers.

Clay is obviously not very good and catching passes - this is hardly the first time he failed to complete a make-able play - he did it to TT a lot too. 

I wouldn't waste time with any of these TE's. Antonio Gates is 70 and he is better than everyone on our roster at the TE position.

19 hours ago, WideNine said:

exactly what happened.....period....and stupid