What is Clay doing 8 yards deep in the end zone?

59 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

He threw it as far as he could.  Think about a receiver running running 80 yards downfield and waving his hands that he's open.....  That's exactly how stoopid I envision Clay....

It wasn’t a perfect throw by Allen and he even said it came out of his hand wrong. (You can even see the ball fluttering a bit)

BUT...

You are correct that an NFL receiver has to make that play. Clay has to help his QB out there and make that catch

A baseball analogy I see is when a slugger takes a big swing but makes contact with the ball outside the sweet spot.  Based on the launch angle the outfielder may tend to stay deep or even drift toward the fence but then realize it was mishit and then suddenly try to reverse direction toward the ball.  It's tough to overcome the misread and the false steps.  The Bills receiving corp has probably learned to get and stay deep on his broken play throws because Josh Allen has a uniquely powerful arm.  That flutter ball which traveled 50 to 55 yards was tough to read and react to. Blame shared equally, imo.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Partially to blame on coaching, why are we calling a do or die play when there is still plenty of time on the clock? We just needed the first down....

With all due respect, we have no idea what the actual play call was.  What Josh managed to turn it into was way off script but damn close to a win on a totally busted coverage.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I missed the 2nd half of the game.  I finally saw the video of this play.

I must say, JA did everything he possibly could've done on that play to get his team a win.  Shame on Clay for such a poor attempt on catching that ball.  I know it was not a perfect pass, but...What else can I say that hasn't been said.  Clay needs to be gone.  Soon.

I think once we get some help, this kid can be something special.

33 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

With all due respect, we have no idea what the actual play call was.  What Josh managed to turn it into was way off script but damn close to a win on a totally busted coverage.

Regardless, good coaching has receivers coming back to the QB on "busted plays/scrambles".  

No excuse for 3 receivers standing at the back of the end zone.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bmur66 said:

Allen was doing his Fran Tarkington impression and the others were just trying to be open. IMO Clay was thinking TD instead of 1st down. Major brain flatulence. That was a terrible attempt to catch that ball but o well.

This. Not only did he not need to do whatever awkward fall down dive attempt that was... he short armed it. He is trying to catch in his belly like a crocodile instead of just reach his effing hands out. Thats why I am so damn mad about it.

He was getting wide open. It's easier to come back for a ball than trying to go deeper. Allen would have hit him right in the chest most of the time. The ball came out of his hand wrong and Clay didn't make the play. They both took responsibility for that play after the game, which they should. Clay is definitely more at fault for not catching a catchable ball, but it wasn't the pass Allen wanted either.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I remember hearing on radio that all the receivers ran deep to end zone 

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Running to his left throwing back to the right after eluding pass rushers for 5 or 6 seconds. 

if they start making a point of finding WRs who adjust well to school yard ball and keep alive well, defenses are going to hate playing the Bills

Thing is this really shouldn't be hard for WRs. They should love broken plays where they can get wide open and ACTUALLY ADJUST TO CATCH THE BALL. Honestly where Clay was going.. he didn't want or expect the ball and as soon as the throw goes up he's thinking "oh crap he actually saw me and got air on it. Didn't see that coming! I'm an overpaid blocking tight end I'm going to screw this up."

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1

Is there a video that shows the entire field during the last play, or at least one that focuses more on Clay?  As mentioned here and in another thread, I think the bigger issue with Clay on the last play is that he didn't come back to the ball and/or stumbled when he attempted to do so.  It just seemed like the ball was in the air long enough for him to come back to the ball a lot more than he did.

If video it exists in another post just let me know.

Clay is doing what he does best; showing why Logan Thomas and Jason Croom are starters and have beaten him out during clutch plays but they were injured.  Another overpaid Whaley blunder in the long-term which didn’t pan out and cost us Nick O’Leary as Coaching looked at experience over talent and Nick is with Miami now.  The blunderful decision making of McBeane at work.

Cannot even trade him away as it’s been a showcasing of the rigid front offices tendencies on a fixed process and antiquated sabermetrics which don’t win the big one.  

21 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

Is there a video that shows the entire field during the last play, or at least one that focuses more on Clay?  As mentioned here and in another thread, I think the bigger issue with Clay on the last play is that he didn't come back to the ball and/or stumbled when he attempted to do so.  It just seemed like the ball was in the air long enough for him to come back to the ball a lot more than he did.

If video it exists in another post just let me know.

All22 wasn’t up yet when I looked, but that will tell the painful story of the near win 

• Like (+1) 1