Time to start suspending Refs

Spiderweb

1 hour ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

98%?! 

you are one of those who sit there and point out what you dream up is holding and then say "the whole thing is fixed"

everyone sitting there with you wishes you would leave and jump off a bridge every second they sit with you and listen to your unending crybaby moaning

4 hours ago, billspro said:

I don’t think suspensions are necessary. But they should have to go over their mistakes from the previous week and if their mistake percentage reaches a certain point they should be let go. Obviously with that type of pressure they should be paid very well. 

Yes the officiating yesterday was horrendous.  The speed of the NFL game makes it very difficult to call split second plays. I've advocated full time refs paid more for years.  And yes there needs to be a mistake criteria that properly allows the NFL to remove/replace underperforming refs or as Marv called "overoficious jerks". Not only did Hochuli and his crew call a ridiculous amount of penalties in the game, but at the end they collectively decided to swallow their whistles. Josh being tackled around the neck should've resulted in 8 flags coming out. And the PI on Zay the same.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

When refs fail to call obvious hits to a QBs head, and a DB mugging a wide receiver on a play where the ref is right there, the league needs to send a message to the players that poor officiating will not be tolerated. Obvious calls must be made. Heck they make enough fictitious calls. A review of this game's officiating would show a horrible crew.

I agree.   

Write to the NFL Front Office Head of Officiating and tell them directly,  

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

Making up stats is a total loser move.

88% of all statistics are made up 68% of the time 

oops ...

70% of all statistics are made up on the spot by 64% of people that produce false statistics 54% of the time they produce them

4 hours ago, MPT said:

The idea of "earning calls" infuriates me. Every player on the field has earned the right to a fair game. Otherwise it's not a sport anymore. It's just theater.

It started with the Jordan Rules and we've seen countless times marquee teams & players receive favorable calls in every sport. I completely agree that every player deserves the right to a fair call. Regardless of whether he's a rookie qb or Tommy boy. Only the leagues can clean this up and they choose not to.

4 hours ago, billspro said:

I don’t think suspensions are necessary. But they should have to go over their mistakes from the previous week and if their mistake percentage reaches a certain point they should be let go. Obviously with that type of pressure they should be paid very well. 

They do that. The NFL reviews every call and every "missed call" (how they determine what a missed call is I don't know, but if the announcers are talking about it you dam well know that's getting into the review process) and if a ref misses too many calls they get demoted and eventually fired. I think some people view NFL refs like college professors with tenure, in that no matter how badly they screw up they don't get any negative consequences. 

But the NFL does have a process in place to have quality control and evaluation on referees. Now I don't know what specifically can be done to improve the process as I think the NFL needs to make sure there is more consistency in what gets called. But there is such a process in place for all 4 major sports. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Irv said:

I just think they are calling too many penalties overall regardless of the team.  See below.  4040 / 3699 = 10% increase since 2009.   Add in all of the time it takes to review many of the plays and the game is really starting to drag.   Source:   www.nflpenalties.com

Year  # of Penalties

2009 3699

2010 3713

2011 3896

2012 3809

2013 3636

2014 4248

2015 4327

2016 4166

2017 4167

2018 3014  (through 75% of the season.  Projection is 4040 penalties.  This is after eliminating penalties for excessive celebration this year) 

Assuming these numbers are regular season only (Which considering there are only 11 playoff games wouldn't make the playoffs that much of a factor) the NFL went from 14.45 penalties a game in 2009 to 16.9 penalties a game in 2015 (Assuming the 2018 projection of 4040 holds 2018's per game average would be 15.7 penalties per game.) 

I think the hits to the head, pass interference emphasis (after the Seahawks won in 2013 they call more PI and holding penalties thus the big jump from 2013 to 2014) and QB rules are probably what has increased the penalties overall. I don't know what you can do to enforce less penalties. Because of you are making refs artificially call less than you will see complaints of more missed calls. 

I think what you aim for in any leagues officiating is to have consistency in enforcement and clearly laid out rules. If players know what they can and can't get away with they will adapt as best as possible. Yes you will have some borderline judgement calls but as long as there is a level of consistency fans will be OK with it. 

3 hours ago, GRHater69 said:

How about an obvious false start on San Diego last night against Pittsburgh that allowed a TD throw that should have never happened? Hard to swallow when you lose by 3...

Take a close look at the punt return San Diego/Los Angeles had last night. They missed an illegal block in the back on that one as well. 

I have read it elsewhere but watching return on phone i cant see it- can you tell me player or at least yard line?

5 hours ago, MPT said:

The idea of "earning calls" infuriates me. Every player on the field has earned the right to a fair game. Otherwise it's not a sport anymore. It's just theater.

Exactly

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

i tape most games and go back and see the penalty

i give the refs about 98% for getting what they can legitimately call in real time, with some help from replay

whining about the refs is a total loser move, which i find people adopt in their life

they blame their parents, clergy, teachers, the police for all their own stupid actions, it never ends

When a call is bad or missed it should be noted. A loser move is to ignore the problem. Your pathetic analogies miss the point entirely.

35 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

I think every time a Bills fan complains about the refs an angel gets their wings.

Or something like that.

You're correct.  Teacher says that. 

6 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

When refs fail to call obvious hits to a QBs head, and a DB mugging a wide receiver on a play where the ref is right there, the league needs to send a message to the players that poor officiating will not be tolerated. Obvious calls must be made. Heck they make enough fictitious calls. A review of this game's officiating would show a horrible crew.

I'm with you. Start punishing these assclowns for destroying the game. Every game I have watched this season, Bills and non-Bills has had terrible officiating. The calls are so blatantly one-side as to favor certain teams.   Last night Pittsburgh was robbed clean by that crew. The NFL has to clean this mess up.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

They should be publicly flogged for every mistake they make.

From fans perspective, there would be constant floggings as at least 90% of a teams fans are homers enough that they think their team is on the receiving end of a massive amount of bad calls every week.  At least judging from here.

Edited by CodeMonkey

4 hours ago, GRHater69 said:

How about an obvious false start on San Diego last night against Pittsburgh that allowed a TD throw that should have never happened? Hard to swallow when you lose by 3...

Take a close look at the punt return San Diego/Los Angeles had last night. They missed an illegal block in the back on that one as well. 

I feel like that gets called on half of our punt returns. 

It should be very disconcerting to the NFL front office that Josh Allen gets struck in the head several times with no penalty when they are spending millions of dollars on settling lawsuits,  CTE research, and trying to develop safer equipment.  And yet they seem incapable of taking action against the referees who allow it to happen.  Someone in the NFL front office needs to have a serious conversation with the referees union about job security!