Time to start suspending Refs

Spiderweb

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

When refs fail to call obvious hits to a QBs head, and a DB mugging a wide receiver on a play where the ref is right there, the league needs to send a message to the players that poor officiating will not be tolerated. Obvious calls must be made. Heck they make enough fictitious calls. A review of this game's officiating would show a horrible crew.

How about an obvious false start on San Diego last night against Pittsburgh that allowed a TD throw that should have never happened? Hard to swallow when you lose by 3...

Edited by matter2003

31 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Great idea. Performance based pay

The problem is that most of these guys are white collar professionals in their day jobs so impact pay too much and they might say "not worth it."  Easy to say goodbye and good riddance but there is always a chance the next guy could be far worse and the guy after that guy.  The NFL ref system is a holdover from the old days where they did not want refs vulnerable to wads of cash from shady (no pun intended) guys.  The NFL needs to spend some money on a pool of permanent refs that can be rotated in and out of working.  Poor performance might mean mandatory time away from work.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You're focusing on the wrong calls.

The holding call is the greatest trick pulled by the NFL. It can be called any place and any time. The outcome of every game can be controlled through the holding call alone.

Offensive & defensive Holding, illegal contact and OPI and DPI. It’s all you need to control the outcome.  

Wouldn’t be shocked to learn at some point in the future that the league throttles these levers  

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

14 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

How about an obvious false start on San Diego last night against Pittsburgh that allowed a TD throw that should have never happened? Hard to swallow when you lose by 3...

Second time for San Diego..  I was at the Browns game earlier this year... Sooo obvious from the stands to see it happen but ref missed the call and got fired.

Take a close look at the punt return San Diego/Los Angeles had last night. They missed an illegal block in the back on that one as well. 

Edited by GRHater69

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

When refs fail to call obvious hits to a QBs head, and a DB mugging a wide receiver on a play where the ref is right there, the league needs to send a message to the players that poor officiating will not be tolerated. Obvious calls must be made. Heck they make enough fictitious calls. A review of this game's officiating would show a horrible crew.

Are you talking about the late game sack on Allen?  Play looked completely legal in slow-motion.  Thought the Refs actually did a good job on what was very tough at game-speed.

19 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

My favorite are the penalties that aren’t shown on replay. We’ll just trust that you made the correct call that’s altering the course of the game. 

i tape most games and go back and see the penalty

i give the refs about 98% for getting what they can legitimately call in real time, with some help from replay

whining about the refs is a total loser move, which i find people adopt in their life

they blame their parents, clergy, teachers, the police for all their own stupid actions, it never ends

1 hour ago, MPT said:

The idea of "earning calls" infuriates me. Every player on the field has earned the right to a fair game. Otherwise it's not a sport anymore. It's just theater.

To the NFL, it's just entertainment. The so called "better teams" will get the calls. The rest of the teams just fill out the league.

It's about making money. That's the bottom line at the end of the day. 

4 minutes ago, westside said:

To the NFL, it's just entertainment. The so called "better teams" will get the calls. The rest of the teams just fill out the league.

It's about making money. That's the bottom line at the end of the day. 

Agreed with this.  With Buffalo sitting on 70-100 dollar tickets plus a such a small market share in TV revenue, NFL is not generating revenue from this team.   This has an effect of how things are called on the field.   Patriots hold every single play.. every play, yet I would guess they have the least amount of holding penalties in the league.  How is that justified?  Revenue.

Edited by fan_in_tx
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You're focusing on the wrong calls.

The holding call is the greatest trick pulled by the NFL. It can be called any place and any time. The outcome of every game can be controlled through the holding call alone.

Couldn’t be more true. New England OL holds constantly , yet goes entire games without a holding call. Amazing  that no one in a Patriot uniform holds while playing football, yet every other team does multiple times. It’s infuriating to watch, yet embarrassing for football and the NFL at the same time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Why can't  the refs call the replay correctly? I mean during the replay, it is clear that there was pass interference on the db. But they're not allowed to call it. I thought replay was about getting the correct call on the play. Upon review, you see pass interference while looking at if it's a catch. Then pass interference should be called. 

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Couldn’t be more true. New England OL holds constantly , yet goes entire games without a holding call. Amazing  that no one in a Patriot uniform holds while playing football, yet every other team does multiple times. It’s infuriating to watch, yet embarrassing for football and the NFL at the same time. 

That's the beauty of it. It's a trick that doesn't even trick, but it's still successful.

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i give the refs about 98% for getting what they can legitimately call in real time, with some help from replay

whining about the refs is a total loser move, which i find people adopt in their life

they blame their parents, clergy, teachers, the police for all their own stupid actions, it never ends

What an idiotic take. The thread is about officials not making legitimate calls that are plain to see, not blaming officials for players infractions. The officials are generally terrible, and everyone including members of the media know it. Apparently they are all “ losers” in life because they tell it as it is ? There are/ were very few that call a fair game, such as Gene Steratore who is now retired. It’s there for all to see every week, but I guess you just live with it unless you happen to be a Patsy fan. Everyone else? Just losers. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dezertbill said:

it's well documented, even from media, that he refs were horrible.  I don't think the NFL really cares.

Until the Bills become a Patriots type team, they will be crapped on by the guys in stripes. As the ref told Hughes yesterday, quit being a b^^^^ and just deal with it.

The way you deal with it is setting up referees to be used as picks.  Hopefully opposing team members will hit them.

And no the Pegulas should not just accept it.   They need to hire some really good media people and start making weekly videos and posting them such that they are easy to circulate which will get repeatedly posted.  When the league complains tell them to fix the problems.

Whether in or out of the pocket, Allen seems to take a lot of head shots and sometimes, after he is down. 

When you see enough of it, it stops looking like accidental contact.

Kolb was down when he got kicked in the back of the head on a scramble which ended his career and has put him in a long-term bad spot.

They need to call these head shots.  Every, single one.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

98%?! 

I just think they are calling too many penalties overall regardless of the team.  See below.  4040 / 3699 = 10% increase since 2009.   Add in all of the time it takes to review many of the plays and the game is really starting to drag.   Source:   www.nflpenalties.com

Year  # of Penalties

2009 3699

2010 3713

2011 3896

2012 3809

2013 3636

2014 4248

2015 4327

2016 4166

2017 4167

2018 3014  (through 75% of the season.  Projection is 4040 penalties.  This is after eliminating penalties for excessive celebration this year)