Time to start suspending Refs

Spiderweb

When refs fail to call obvious hits to a QBs head, and a DB mugging a wide receiver on a play where the ref is right there, the league needs to send a message to the players that poor officiating will not be tolerated. Obvious calls must be made. Heck they make enough fictitious calls. A review of this game's officiating would show a horrible crew.

• Like (+1) 4

I don’t think suspensions are necessary. But they should have to go over their mistakes from the previous week and if their mistake percentage reaches a certain point they should be let go. Obviously with that type of pressure they should be paid very well. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

I'm not saying the refs aren't bad but I also find it to be an impossible job.  You have to catch everything with your eye - while the world has video in slow motion to check your work. 

If they used their eyes to make calls, they wouldn't make as many mistakes. The problem is that they look at a situation and try to use context clues to make a call. Receiver flops, must be pass interference. Defensive end throws his hands in the air, must be holding. Quarterback stays on the ground after getting hit, must be roughing the passer. When they're being subjective like that, their opinion of the team or player comes into play. Oh Brady got hit hard? Personal foul. Oh Allen got clotheslined? Not enough evidence. They should only be making calls if they actually see it happen. I would be totally fine with more missed calls if we got rid of all the ones that are subjective.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

When refs fail to call obvious hits to a QBs head, and a DB mugging a wide receiver on a play where the ref is right there, the league needs to send a message to the players that poor officiating will not be tolerated. Obvious calls must be made. Heck they make enough fictitious calls. A review of this game's officiating would show a horrible crew.

Personally I think the Pegulas should create a video highlighting the inconsistencies in refereeing. Some of the soft calls that Brady gets versus the hits Allen took to the head yesterday. How some players get calls when they are tackled heading out of bounds and others don't even when they are tackled 2-3+ feet out of bounds.

They say that good teams don't let bad or no calls beat them but that's a lot easier to say when your routinely benefiting from the refs decisions. Hearing a commentator say that Allen hasn't earned those calls yet is an acknowledgement that the ruleset is not evenly applied.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Personally I think the Pegulas should create a video highlighting the inconsistencies in refereeing. Some of the soft calls that Brady gets versus the hits Allen took to the head yesterday. How some players get calls when they are tackled heading out of bounds and others don't even when they are tackled 2-3+ feet out of bounds.

They say that good teams don't let bad or no calls beat them but that's a lot easier to say when your routinely benefiting from the refs decisions. Hearing a commentator say that Allen hasn't earned those calls yet is an acknowledgement that the ruleset is not evenly applied.

The idea of "earning calls" infuriates me. Every player on the field has earned the right to a fair game. Otherwise it's not a sport anymore. It's just theater.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Doc said:

They should be publicly flogged for every mistake they make.

You clearly a fan of Spinal Tap and turning the dial to 11 ?

Personally there should be a pay scale. Calling a fair game gets you points, calling an uneven game loses you points. The number of points you have determines your base salary and which games you get to call. You lose too many points you don't get any games to ref.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I'm not saying the refs aren't bad but I also find it to be an impossible job.  You have to catch everything with your eye - while the world has video in slow motion to check your work. 

...certainly agree.....even though there are seven pair of eyes dividing up the field, they are under the same split second time constraints as a QB or your play calling LB face as far as reads, progressions, etc with respect to infractions......and the "rule book" continually becomes MORE complex.........

I usually hate high horse posters but the crying about refs is getting ridiculous. It’s not just Bills fans it’s fans all around the league. Look at the Bills. Do they lead the league in penalties or are they close? Do you think every group of refs is just out to punish the Bills and the Pegulas? 

If Charles Clay didn’t resemble a zombie from the Walking Dead the Bills would have won the game. 

The league should make make some decisions to reduce the amount of penalties called but I haven’t seen a fail Mary, tuck rule type of call in awhile. The Steelers lost their mind about a false start, It was a bad call but is that what lost them their game? Or was it because Ben lobbed an interception in the redzone and then special teams allowed a returned punt for a TD.

Play the game quit bitching, players included.

As a fan you don't want to hear "Good teams get those calls" or certain players getting calls because of their elite status. That's BS and if you want your game to be viewed with integrity, you call it fair regardless of what team is playing. It just doesn't happen that way and as a fan I'm tired of it and I've been watching football since Nixon was president.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

You clearly a fan of Spinal Tap and turning the dial to 11 ?

Personally there should be a pay scale. Calling a fair game gets you points, calling an uneven game loses you points. The number of points you have determines your base salary and which games you get to call. You lose too many points you don't get any games to ref.

Great idea. Performance based pay

19 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I usually hate high horse posters but the crying about refs is getting ridiculous. It’s not just Bills fans it’s fans all around the league. Look at the Bills. Do they lead the league in penalties or are they close? Do you think every group of refs is just out to punish the Bills and the Pegulas? 

If Charles Clay didn’t resemble a zombie from the Walking Dead the Bills would have won the game. 

The league should make make some decisions to reduce the amount of penalties called but I haven’t seen a fail Mary, tuck rule type of call in awhile. The Steelers lost their mind about a false start, It was a bad call but is that what lost them their game? Or was it because Ben lobbed an interception in the redzone and then special teams allowed a returned punt for a TD.

Play the game quit bitching, players included.

We lead the league in penalties

We’re undisciplined.  No question.  We deserve many of them.  No question.  

Imo, the big problem is the lack of calls against our opposition on similar calls that we’re getting flagged for.  Josh Allen got beat up yesterday.  Took blows to the head and neck area.  The last incompletion to Zay Jones, he dropped it.  For sure.  He was also interfered with and dropped the ball because of that interference......for sure.  If we get THAT last call, we win this game and the season is alive.  We didn’t get that call.  We lost.  Season over.  

I agree that the refs should be held accountable for their job just like any other job that we as fans work at . If we screw up over & over again then we get docked pay (well maybe not in todays world if you whine enough) or you get fired for not performing up to company standards !! Again refer to italicized comment !! 

But no matter how good the refs do on this website & seeing what we all write on things & the differing opinions here there is no way that every one would be happy with the way they do their jobs !! 

Two plays before the last throw to Clay, Allen got smacked in the head hard when he was taken down in the pocket.  It was the second Dolphins player who hit him, and it was intentional.  You could tell Allen was rocked as he was trying to shake it off and he looked at the ref like, C'mon man. 

That non-call play infuriated me more than any. Although he did get hit in the facemask earlier in the game by a fist/hand, another no-call.  Not to mention he was dragged down at least once hard and hit his head on the ground, that's on him.

Allen just takes too many head shots for my liking, even in preseason.  

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

I don't know how it would work or how well but maybe have two challenges per game per team on certain penalties.  This still does not address uncalled penalties so I don't know how to proceed there.  I don't care if it slows down the game especially this time of year when a bad call or non-call affects making the playoffs.

it's well documented, even from media, that he refs were horrible.  I don't think the NFL really cares.

Until the Bills become a Patriots type team, they will be crapped on by the guys in stripes. As the ref told Hughes yesterday, quit being a b^^^^ and just deal with it.

The problem I have is they are really inconsistant. 

Sometimes they throw the flag for minimum contact (last game when they flagged Taron Johnson) and then they eat the flag in an extremly ovious PI (Zay yesterday), actually Zay gets hit a lot before the ball arives, I recall at least 4 this year with no flag.