Is Shady done?

Hebert19

10 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Anyone questioning this now is foolish.  Hes not just starting to lose it. Hes lost it. Hes literally terrible.  What's the cap hit if we cut him. 

I wanted him as a 3rd down back before.  But we can do better cheaper. 

Even catching passes out of the backfield and easy screens he is dropping now. 

Sad to say I think he is done.

Edited by cba fan

Done?    I'd say so in Buffalo.    It will take a seriously lucky effort to fix this OL in one season, which is what Shady needs to be productive / worth his cap hit here.  

On a playoff-caliber team?    I could see him being a useful weapon,  and I hope the FO makes it happen...

Maybe he can come back in a late career Thurman role and another guy van be the workhorse. Maybe a little change of pace back/veteran presence. A guy that can still catch it out of the back field...If I had to guess I’d say he’s gone but he’s also my favorite player. We need another guy to be the #1 back but I wouldn’t have an issue with Shady still being on the team.

I think his style of play doesn’t age well. 

When you rely of shiftiness as a running back you need to realize it has a relatively short shelf life, as it’s the first attribute to go with age. 

He has usefulness, but will never be an every-down-back again. This is mostly because: his ability, his price tag, the role of running back in the nfl. 

you don't go into a season with 2 30+ year old backs and an OL that loses 2 starters and expect a solid running game.

Then again you don't remove all vet QB presence, rely on Nate Peterman as starter and expect to groom a first year WR with no vet Qbs to learn from, no WRs and a terrible OL.

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I know the offensive line is absolutely dreadful this year, but shady did have a pro bowl year last year, which is why it’s hard for me to believe the sharp drop in production is due to age or loss of ability. 

This is how many RBs drop off.

I am a Shady fan, I like the guy. He needs a better supporting cast. I'd try to find a playoff level team needing a good RB and do the right thing by Shady next year.

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Maybe he can come back in a late career Thurman role and another guy van be the workhorse. Maybe a little change of pace back/veteran presence. A guy that can still catch it out of the back field...If I had to guess I’d say he’s gone but he’s also my favorite player. We need another guy to be the #1 back but I wouldn’t have an issue with Shady still being on the team.

What is the change of pace you are looking for? Because having an old guy who is slower and less powerful than the starting RB, would be a change of pace, but I doubt it will be effective. 

10 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

you don't go into a season with 2 30+ year old backs and an OL that loses 2 starters and expect a solid running game.

Then again you don't remove all vet QB presence, rely on Nate Peterman as starter and expect to groom a first year WR with no vet Qbs to learn from, no WRs and a terrible OL.

This is how many RBs drop off.

I am a Shady fan, I like the guy. He needs a better supporting cast. I'd try to find a playoff level team needing a good RB and do the right thing by Shady next year.

...Peterson signed with Deadskins for vet minimum ($1.015 mil).....3 years older and already has 1,042 yards in 2018....think somebody will pay Shady his $6+ mil?.....

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...Peterson signed with Deadskins for vet minimum ($1.015 mil).....3 years older and already has 1,042 yards in 2018....think somebody will pay Shady his $6+ mil?.....

Wishful thinking.

More of a year too late and a dollar poorly spent.

The argument I make is we need young wheels at RB.

13 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

What is the change of pace you are looking for? Because having an old guy who is slower and less powerful than the starting RB, would be a change of pace, but I doubt it will be effective. 

I don’t think he will be back period. But if he somehow is, it can’t be as the starting RB

On 12/6/2018 at 1:38 PM, Rufridr101 said:

We have 2 new offensive lineman replacing the best 2 from last year Peterman started multiple games Derek Anderson and Barkley have also a rookie the others but the problem is shady hilarious 

As if it couldn’t possibly be him too?

14 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

So he can retire as a Bill? 

One year ago, Sproles tore his ACL and broke his arm on the same play.  Now, in his 14th year, he's still playing a lot harder and is more effective (yards per touch, TDs) than a healthy McCoy, so, yeah...why not?

11 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

The fact that we didn't trade Shady when we could've got a pick for him is a joke.

Shows you the guys running this team aren't very smart. 

..and who exactly was going to pony up a pick for a 30 yr old RB making $6+ mil/yr??........just curious.....