How much does the reveal that missed Zay Jones in endzone pass affect your inaccuracy POV?

21 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I assume most everyone had the same reaction that I did after the play and even the replay. Terrible pass. Josh just missed a wide open Jones in the end zone. He's GOT to make that pass. He missed a couple others in the game and he had a bunch of really solid if not great throws. But the "inaccuracy" tag put on him still haunts him, and he does miss some balls that he needs to hit.

But...

When I heard from McD, Zay and Josh about what actually happened on that play, it wasn't an inaccurate pass it was a perfect pass. Zay was expected to sit on the route, and that is where Josh threw it. Josh was being diplomatic in his interview, saying that he should have known Zay was going to continue instead of sitting because there was so much open endzone but it is clear that it was not at all an inaccurate pass, it went exactly where he wanted it.

To me, that knowledge, has a big affect on the overall game Josh had in my perception. I thought he had a very good game overall but missed several throws. The fact that the biggest misfire was not a misfire, and would have been his third TD to Jones makes a substantial difference in my grading of the game.

A lot of times we as fans don't know this kind of stuff, and our evaluations and biases suffer because of it. 

I said exactly this when the play happened in the shoutbox to @jaybee

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It only effects it if you think it was an inaccurate pass because it was a bad throw instead of because 2 players saw 2 different things.

Jones saw Cover 0 man to man and kept running because he saw green in front of him. Allen said he was correct and it was 100% on him because he thought he was going to sit down in the spot. Just a rookie mistake and misreading the situation NOT an inaccurate throw.

You may be right. That's not how I interpreted what they all said. It didn't appear to be a -- if they do this, we do that pattern. It appeared to be a specific pattern that Zay broke off because the endzone was so wide open. Those are two different issues. I don't think Josh misread the coverage.

13 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Allen's inaccuracy straight up cost us 3 TDs today, including what could have been the game winner at the end.

Yes, Clay probably should have caught that ball, but that doesn't change the fact that it was inaccurate and very poorly thrown.

I'd further suggest had it been a good throw, it likely would have been caught.

I disagree with this though. Consider the play that unfolded before that throw. Allen evades two rushers with a reverse field double move, then while moving diagonally forward and to the left, he throws back across his body going the wrong way toward the back right pylon. He came up a little short. Clay still should have caught that.   

17 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Allen's inaccuracy straight up cost us 3 TDs today, including what could have been the game winner at the end.

Yes, Clay probably should have caught that ball, but that doesn't change the fact that it was inaccurate and very poorly thrown.

Be patient, many steps to climb in this game to get to the top

you seem happy the Bills lost and that they deserved to due to Allen missing a few targets 

Edited by row_33

23 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I referenced that but he was being diplomatic. If you think about what he said, he inferred that he should have known Zay was going to not do what the play called for. In his PC, McD inferred that Zay was supposed to sit.

Zay shouldn't sit in man coverage. The staff and receiver are being diplomatic, not the QB. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Does any qb in the league make a perfect throw on that play?

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Horrible post.

2 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

Does any qb in the league make a perfect throw on that play?

Very, very few get in a position to even attempt that throw.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

Did Bill Buckner manage to field every single playable ball hit to him?

Thank you for noting something that has less than zero relevance to the question.

16 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's not really true IMO. It was an accurate pass. The pattern called for him to sit. The pass went right to that spot, a couple yards behind Zay. But it's where he was supposed to be. He didn't stop. The "miscommunication" was that Josh didn't know Zay was going to continue to the middle of the endzone which was wide, wide open and a year or two from now they both would know he would break off the pattern. But the fact is Josh threw the ball right where he expected Zay to be and the play called for Zay to be. Zay kept running because he was wide open.

I tend to think this is right.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I'd say the ridiculous amount of penalties, drops by many of the receivers and turnovers were more of an issue.

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Very, very few get in a position to even attempt that throw.

Thank you for noting something that has less than zero relevance to the question.

Just saying that even routine plays are missed at times. I thought the play was pretty routine....

Allen is a gamer and very athletic.  It is a world of difference with him in the lineup.  He made some great plays with his legs, made some very good throws and made some very poor throws.  I understand that it may not be on Allen for this particular play and the Bills need to surround him with more talent, but he absolutely will need to become more accurate and consistent in the passing game to have long-term success as a starting QB in the NFL.  I hope the Bills use all necessary resources to help develop Allen's skills, because he really does have a rare combination of talents and tremendous potential.