Assess McDermott

Dadonkadonk

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm not to the point where I want him fired, but I am seriously concerned about his ability to be a good HC in the NFL.

Clock management, team discipline, stupid penalties, stupid review requests, questionable roster management.  He's made a lot of mistakes.  It doesn't seem to be getting better.

I'm concerned, but haven't given up on the little guy.

The "little guy" line reminds me of the Benny Hill sidekick that keeps getting slapped on his bald head.  heh heh.

Anyway...  I think for two years this team has overproduced.  The Bills clearly do not have the talent of other teams.  Sometimes it shows and sometimes they surprise me positively.

If he truly evaluates to get better every week, then some of his flaws have to start showing improvement. 

* His challenges are comical.  I was quite bothered he tossed it after progress was obviously out of the end zone. 

* I don't think his time management is as bad as his tendency to just concede time at the end of a half.  The kid wants to push it.  Let him fly.  He's not going to learn turning and handing it off in those situations.

* If we're keeping players specifically to perform better at ST, then that's a failure all around.  I don't think we need major coaching changes otherwise, just more talent.

* This team shows a lack of discipline and professionalism.  Not just the penalties, but Lawson in the tunnel last week and Hughes this week.  How is it not clear to either that such behavior reflects poorly on everyone in the organization?

*  KB and Clay.  I cannot isolate film to watch both of them every play, so maybe there are positives I'm not seeing, but they do not appear to show much effort, nor leadership.  Shady is not performing to the level we all hoped for, but at least he's a leader.  If KB and Clay have nothing to offer, we can perform just as well without them.  If cutting them is too costly, then can be inactive and not just be awarded playing

JMHO

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, familykwi said:

The "little guy" line reminds me of the Benny Hill sidekick that keeps getting slapped on his bald head.  heh heh.

Anyway...  I think for two years this team has overproduced.  The Bills clearly do not have the talent of other teams.  Sometimes it shows and sometimes they surprise me positively.

If he truly evaluates to get better every week, then some of his flaws have to start showing improvement. 

* His challenges are comical.  I was quite bothered he tossed it after progress was obviously out of the end zone. 

* I don't think his time management is as bad as his tendency to just concede time at the end of a half.  The kid wants to push it.  Let him fly.  He's not going to learn turning and handing it off in those situations.

* If we're keeping players specifically to perform better at ST, then that's a failure all around.  I don't think we need major coaching changes otherwise, just more talent.

* This team shows a lack of discipline and professionalism.  Not just the penalties, but Lawson in the tunnel last week and Hughes this week.  How is it not clear to either that such behavior reflects poorly on everyone in the organization?

*  KB and Clay.  I cannot isolate film to watch both of them every play, so maybe there are positives I'm not seeing, but they do not appear to show much effort, nor leadership.  Shady is not performing to the level we all hoped for, but at least he's a leader.  If KB and Clay have nothing to offer, we can perform just as well without them.  If cutting them is too costly, then can be inactive and not just be awarded playing

JMHO

Perfectly stated.

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm not to the point where I want him fired, but I am seriously concerned about his ability to be a good HC in the NFL.

Clock management, team discipline, stupid penalties, stupid review requests, questionable roster management.  He's made a lot of mistakes.  It doesn't seem to be getting better.

I'm concerned, but haven't given up on the little guy.

This is where I am. He clearly knows how to coach defense. His game and clock management is awful. It's downright scary that he thought Peterman could play, the team could succeed on offense with these linemen and these receivers, it took him 25 games to realize that speed works in the NFL. His offensive coaching hires have been atrocious, although second OC Daboll gets another year to prove his worthiness.

The worst thing, however, may be that for such a stickler for Eagles scouts and discipline, Rex's teams were more disciplined than these guys are. It's a worry. He may very well be a coordinator, like hundreds before him, who is very good at his job but HC and all it entails is too big for him.

We need to give him next year though. I'm 50-50 on him succeeding. There is a lot to like and an equal amount that is very suspect.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

This is where I am. He clearly knows how to coach defense. His game and clock management is awful. It's downright scary that he thought Peterman could play, the team could succeed on offense with these linemen and these receivers, it took him 25 games to realize that speed works in the NFL. His offensive coaching hires have been atrocious, although second OC Daboll gets another year to prove his worthiness.

The worst thing, however, may be that for such a stickler for Eagles scouts and discipline, Rex's teams were more disciplined than these guys are. It's a worry. He may very well be a coordinator, like hundreds before him, who is very good at his job but HC and all it entails is too big for him.

We need to give him next year though. I'm 50-50 on him succeeding. There is a lot to like and an equal amount that is very suspect.

I'm about 99% with you, here.  Only differences are that I don't think Daboll deserves another year and I'm about 35-65 on McDermott succeeding.  I have this feeling that the team has no respect for him.  His "statement" moves have been cutting Schmidt (only to be brought back) and benching Nathan Peterman.  Yet he continues to let Benjamin half-ass it week after week.  I fear that this team thinks he's a joke.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Anyone else think this thread was going to call them a couple of donkeys? 

I didnt....until I read this and reread the title lol

1 hour ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Sean McD took over a team that finished 7-9 in 2016.   13 teams had 7 or fewer wins that year.   Of that group of teams, 7 have surpassed the Bills since then. One of them (Eagles) won last years super bowl.   McD's process appears to be slower than some other teams process. Kaizen. 

20162018.PNG

So all teams have the same players?  I dont understand...

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Still with this nonsense?

Nonsense or not, KB is an absolute huge waste of a roster spot. Maybe he'll play better for another team, but he has been worse than terrible and should never take another snap in a Bills uni.....

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Still with this nonsense?

People make up their minds and are unable to adjust to reality.

Lest I be accused of not adding to the thread, here's my assessment of McDermott:

1) His team plays hard for him, even though they're outmatched talent-wise. To me this is a positive.

2) He and Beane have done what I asked of them. They've purged the roster (mostly) of Whaley's failed pickups. To me this is a positive.

3) His challenges...I think he needs to hire someone to judge when he throws the flag. A negative.

4) The penalties? I'm on the fence as to what the cause of this is, so I can't rate it a positive or negative. You can only coach people so much, and at some point, they just have to perform...a neutral.

So that's 2 positives, one negative, one neutral. So a net positive for me.

Edited by Joe in Winslow