Assess McDermott

Dadonkadonk

I think there is zero chance McDermott or Beane are let go and that is probably the right decision. As McD always professes let’s evalaute him and discuss what he needs to do to improve.

1. Coordinators/staff: Im ok with Daboll and Frazier. Crossman and the entire offensive staff need to be replaced. Every aspect of the offense has regressed. I keep Daboll because at times he has called an ok game and he gets another year with Allen.

2. Challenges: 0-6 this year and just dumb ones as well. The entire process needs to be reworked. 

3. Risk/reward/percentages: the Jauron comparisons are quite fair here. As someone posted today every once in a while you have to go for it on fourth down to make theattempt at drawing an offsides even a remote possibility. He is far too conservative in a year where the season was over in October. He should be rolling the dice early and often. This year is all about taking chances because there is virtually no downside. A 59 yard FG is a higher percentage play than a hail mary. 

4. Penalties: yes a lot of young guys are playing but this is not little league. Many of these penalties are  presnap and pretty sure they teach that stuff in 5th grade.

5. Roster spots for special teams: special teams are not a third of the game. 20% by snap count at best. And it is far more likely one of these moron special teams guys will commit a penalty than make a play.  Coverage units have been awful all year and the return units equally as bad.  No more special team WRs that can’t  do anything else.

6. Accountability: hard to justify trading away Dareus and KB still starts. 

7. Clock management: two years in a row before halftime clock management has been dreadful. Miami gifted them a FG attempt and they blew a TO and chance to get the ball closer. 

The happy clappy stuff is really getting old.  How about teaching some discipline.  Rex didn't seem to care all that much but Mac professes to do so.  We're still waiting and it's getting late.  Also, I'd have a more positive vibe about him remaining here if he'd get a decent special teams coach for next season.

18 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

I think there is zero chance McDermott or Beane are let go and that is probably the right decision. As McD always professes let’s evalaute him and discuss what he needs to do to improve.

1. Coordinators/staff: Im ok with Daboll and Frazier. Crossman and the entire offensive staff need to be replaced. Every aspect of the offense has regressed. I keep Daboll because at times he has called an ok game and he gets another year with Allen.

2. Challenges: 0-6 this year and just dumb ones as well. The entire process needs to be reworked. 

3. Risk/reward/percentages: the Jauron comparisons are quite fair here. As someone posted today every once in a while you have to go for it on fourth down to make theattempt at drawing an offsides even a remote possibility. He is far too conservative in a year where the season was over in October. He should be rolling the dice early and often. This year is all about taking chances because there is virtually no downside. A 59 yard FG is a higher percentage play than a hail mary. 

4. Penalties: yes a lot of young guys are playing but this is not little league. Many of these penalties are  presnap and pretty sure they teach that stuff in 5th grade.

5. Roster spots for special teams: special teams are not a third of the game. 20% by snap count at best. And it is far more likely one of these moron special teams guys will commit a penalty than make a play.  Coverage units have been awful all year and the return units equally as bad.  No more special team WRs that can’t  do anything else.

6. Accountability: hard to justify trading away Dareus and KB still starts. 

7. Clock management: two years in a row before halftime clock management has been dreadful. Miami gifted them a FG attempt and they blew a TO and chance to get the ball closer. 

dareus doesn't play half the time due to injury or drugs..give me a break

• Like (+1) 1

He’s a solid coach.  I was hoping for genius, but I’m pretty sure he isn’t that.   He still does head scratching things every game - like not kicking at the end of the half.

But most coaches are like that.  There aren’t many geniuses.  It seems like lately that he is at least gameplanning well, and the players are motivated.

That works for me.

He's got the team getting better. Lots of young guys. I think they like to play for him and they are developing. I'm satisfied as long as I see growth on the offensive side of the ball, which you do when Allen is in there. 

Sean McD took over a team that finished 7-9 in 2016.   13 teams had 7 or fewer wins that year.   Of that group of teams, 7 have surpassed the Bills since then. One of them (Eagles) won last years super bowl.   McD's process appears to be slower than some other teams process. Kaizen. 

20162018.PNG

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Success said:

He’s a solid coach.  I was hoping for genius, but I’m pretty sure he isn’t that.   He still does head scratching things every game - like not kicking at the end of the half.

But most coaches are like that.  There aren’t many geniuses.  It seems like lately that he is at least gameplanning well, and the players are motivated.

That works for me.

New holder. A missed extra point and a missed field goal today. Maybe McDermott wasn’t questioning house money.

5 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Sean McD took over a team that finished 7-9 in 2016.   13 teams had 7 or fewer wins that year.   Of that group of teams, 7 have surpassed the Bills since then. One of them (Eagles) won last years super bowl.   McD's process appears to be slower than some other teams process. Kaizen. 

20162018.PNG

Good post.  Looking at that list, if Bills with Allen in 2019 are like LA or Chicago the team is going to be tough to beat.  On that list there are two HOF QBs that combined for 12 wins last year.  

I'm not to the point where I want him fired, but I am seriously concerned about his ability to be a good HC in the NFL.

Clock management, team discipline, stupid penalties, stupid review requests, questionable roster management.  He's made a lot of mistakes.  It doesn't seem to be getting better.

I'm concerned, but haven't given up on the little guy.

• Like (+1) 1

Give him an extension (yes he has 2 more years on his contract) and lets be done w/ it. I'm tired of the coaching carousel we've had throughout our history. With the exception of Knox and Marv, coaches don't last more than 3 seasons. Can't get an continuity w/ constant turnover. Keep him around the just chill.

1 minute ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Good post.  Looking at that list, if Bills with Allen in 2019 are like LA or Chicago the team is going to be tough to beat.  On that list there are two HOF QBs that combined for 12 wins last year.  

To be clear, those are results from 2 seasons ago in the first columns.  The last year before McDermott. 

1 minute ago, Cruiserplayer said:

New holder. A missed extra point and a missed field goal today. Maybe McDermott wasn’t questioning house money.

The hold on the XP was fine and the missed FG was in the second half.  McD butchered that sequence at the end of the half.  With only 5 secs the correct play was to kick the FG even with a TO.  Almost any other play even with a TO is difficult to execute.  A skinny post for 6 yards would have been nice with an immediate TO.  But after using the TO to avoid a delay, the correct move was to kick the FG.  Nearly nothing to lose.