Real Question. Do games like today's loss to the Dolphin's contribute to building a winning culture?

I feel like today's loss is indicative of what teams with a losing culture do.  Lose games that should have been won. Bad clock management at the end of the first half, losing a challenge on an emotional play, getting personal foul celebration penalties on a play that could have stalled a drive.  Mcdermott is directly responsible for the first two of these issues, and should have sat phillips for the rest of the game after his asinine penalty.   I don't think the undisciplined penalties and special teams clown show helps build a winning culture.  But that is just me.  

Do others think we will learn from today's game and not repeat these mistakes again and again like we seem to week after week? 

5 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

I feel like today's loss is indicative of what teams with a losing culture do.  Lose games that should have been won. Bad clock management at the end of the first half, losing a challenge on an emotional play, getting personal foul celebration penalties on a play that could have stalled a drive.  Mcdermott is directly responsible for the first two of these issues, and should have sat phillips for the rest of the game after his asinine penalty.   I don't think the undisciplined penalties and special teams clown show helps build a winning culture.  But that is just me.  

Do others think we will learn from today's game and not repeat these mistakes again and again like we seem to week after week? 

Make an extra point and make a FG at the end and this is in the W column.

Our young QB had a very good day so I will say.....Yes :)

7 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

If we win and nothing goes wrong, we’re not really building are we? We’re a complete team.  Part of building is the ups and downs. We’re coming off two wins and we’re wrapping up a season where we had four different starting QBs. I’m okay with today. The team will look vastly different next season but the bones are good. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Winning games contributes to a winning culture.

Games with 165 yards in penalties, turnovers, special teams gaffs, blown leads in the 4th quarter, failed comebacks … no they don't change the culture but maybe they can teach a young team some hard lessons.  Still, you have to WIN to have a winning  culture.

--- And losing for a better draft choice is the worst. 

Edited by Bob in STL

11 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

McDermott's penalty challenges from the very beginning have been mostly terrible, and today was no different.

The challenge was a clear mistake that can't be made.  Except it was.

Our penalty issue reminds me somewhat of the Rex Ryan era.  Not good.

Edited by Nextmanup

1 minute ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

If we win and nothing goes wrong, we’re not really building are we? We’re a complete team.  Part of building is the ups and downs. We’re coming off two wins and we’re wrapping up a season where we had four different starting QBs. I’m okay with today. The team will look vastly different next season but the bones are good. 

The  point is what are we building?  Because it seems to me we are building an undisciplined team that makes variations of the same clown show mistakes week after week.  

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

yeah, no. we made up for the missed extra point by converting the two point try. had we not missed the extra point, no way we would have went for two there. as such, we're  still down by 4 at the end or by 1 if we make the field goal.

4 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Uh, we recovered the extra point with a two pointer.  The 55 yard FG would have made it a one point game … we still needed to score another FG.  We were in position but it was not a given --- lets keep changing punters so out kicker can set a record for most holders used in a season. 

Just now, Foxx said:

yeah, no. we made up for the missed extra point by converting the two point try. had we not missed the extra point, no way we would have went for two there. as such, we're  still down by 4 at the end or by 1 if we make the field goal.

I missed the game today I was at work.

A friend told me Haush missed the XP and I heard the Murph call on the FG on my way home on the cars radio.

The only thing that promotes a winning culture is winning the damn game.  Good teams overcome and win. That said, the refs definitely did not help. We thoroughly overpowered the Phins and are the better team. But too many guys were tripping over their own ***** today. It was one of those days where stupid plays doomed the team. You can't have that on a winning team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

Uh, we recovered the extra point with a two pointer.  The 55 yard FG would have made it a one point game … we still needed to score another FG.  We were in position but it was not a given --- lets keep changing punters so out kicker can set a record for most holders used in a season. 

I was thinking the same thing.......why not change during the bye week if at all?

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

It further cemented the fact KB and Clay are dead weight.

I seen the 2 minute drill.

How did Clay not catch that pass?

Remember when the Bills signed him?   The TE position was supposedly fixed......it looked like Clay FIXED the game :(

It contributes in the sense that the young QB is coming on as are several other young guys.  But McD needs to look at some things.  Before the game he said Phillips needs to be a pro but his dumb penalty may have lost the game.   The overall number of penalties has to get under control.  And I believe the stat they quoted is that he's won one challenge out of like 11.  That means to me he needs to really evaluate how he makes those decisions, what advice he gets from upstairs, etc.

I am a believer in culture and they're putting a good one together.  But the HC, as good a job as I think he's done, needs to also show continued improvement.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

It contributes in the sense that the young QB is coming on as are several other young guys.  But McD needs to look at some things.  Before the game he said Phillips needs to be a pro but his dumb penalty may have lost the game.   The overall number of penalties has to get under control.  And I believe the stat they quoted is that he's won one challenge out of like 11.  That means to me he needs to really evaluate how he makes those decisions, what advice he gets from upstairs, etc.

I am a believer in culture and they're putting a good one together.  But the HC, as good a job as I think he's done, needs to also show continued improvement.

Oldmanfan, as always, great post!

19 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Winning games contributes to a winning culture.

Games with 165 yards in penalties, turnovers, special teams gaffs, blown leads in the 4th quarter, failed comebacks … no they don't change the culture but maybe they can teach a young team some hard lessons.  Still, you have to WIN to have a winning  culture.

--- And losing for a better draft choice is the worst. 

Can't argue with that too much. I will say though, having an elite qb builds winning traditions. Not ready to crown Allen just yet, but the needle is pointing up for me 

• Like (+1) 1