Zay Jones - Coming Around Nicely

32 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

For a 2nd-round pick taken 37th overall he should have "come around" last season.  

He's still very below average in target% catches.  He also ranks behind 5 WRs drafted well after him that are playing much better than he is in most ways.  There are even a few backups that have posted numbers close to Jones' that don't even start.  

If he were anything close to what most thought then he should be posting 1,000 this season and he has no shot at that.  

He had a good game yesterday maybe, but he's posted only four games in both seasons of over 60 yards and only 3 games with more than 4 receptions, and none of those games were against good defenses.  The Jets and Miami have two of the worst defenses.  

His development is normal. WR is a position where there tends to be a learning curve and I think he's starting to shine. Season is not over yet, if it's stats you care about I think you'll be satisfied over the next 4 games of the season. Zay is ready to ascend. He's capable of being a #1. We did this to Woods, we did this to Watkins. Zay is good enough for me and he should be for you he's a good receiver. He is the #1 until you beat the 1. Also, I'm not sure your 1st round WRs this year can beat out Zay Jones. 

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

His development is normal. WR is a position where there tends to be a learning curve and I think he's starting to shine. Season is not over yet, if it's stats you care about I think you'll be satisfied over the next 4 games of the season. Zay is ready to ascend. He's capable of being a #1. We did this to Woods, we did this to Watkins. Zay is good enough for me and he should be for you he's a good receiver. He is the #1 until you beat the 1. Also, I'm not sure your 1st round WRs this year can beat out Zay Jones. 

LMAO

Apparently you ignored what I just wrote and all the stats behind it.  

But you're right, if Jones, despite his well-below average target% ratio, can somehow manage to log 150 receiving yards-per-game the rest of the season, then you may be onto something.  

Seriously, who thinks like that.  

Just now, TaskersGhost said:

LMAO

Apparently you ignored what I just wrote and all the stats behind it.  

But you're right, if Jones, despite his well-below average target% ratio, can somehow manage to log 150 receiving yards-per-game the rest of the season, then you may be onto something.  

Seriously, who thinks like that.  

Never said he'll do it this year, next year most likely. I said Zay will have a few more big games over the remaining 4 games. This is his first year with our rookie QB. Got it? Half the season Allen didn't even play because his throwing arm almost got ruined. You expect Zay to put up 1,000 in 2018? Hahahahahahaha. That's not how the world works.

20 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Thanks for reminding me in his rookie season he not having the ability to tap his toes.  Yesterday it was a perfect pass that he caught and tapped his tows.  Both TD's were perfect throws too.  I'm talking making a difficult catch, adjusting where needed, getting up in the air, taking it out of the defenders hands or absorbing a hit while catching.

Don't remember those.  

So you dont consider the toe tapping on the 3rd and 12 play a great catch, Allen threw the ball OB and Zay reached OB to haul it in while barely keeping both toes in. That is a fantastic catch

5 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Never said he'll do it this year, next year most likely. I said Zay will have a few more big games over the remaining 4 games. This is his first year with our rookie QB. Got it? Half the season Allen didn't even play because his throwing arm almost got ruined. You expect Zay to put up 1,000 in 2018? Hahahahahahaha. That's not how the world works.

You said, and I quote, "his development is normal." 

It's not normal for the expecations of a 37th overall WR  who was touted as a top prospect.  Can't even believe you're arguing that.  

I dont' know, perhaps it's "normal" for a good chunk of fans that seem to have lost their sense of what good actually is.  

For a player that was rated as having been among the few best at his position in his draft, and considering that he ranks thus far near the bottom and well below even 4th and 5th WRs in terms of target catch %, as being closer to a bust than what he was expected to be.  

If that takes him three seasons, well, there are dozens of WRs, most taken well after him, who are in their first three or four seasons that are playing far better than Jones.  That can ONLY mean that his development is far from normal for a player chosen merely 5 picks out of the 1st round.  

He caught the ball along the sidelines and kept his feet in bounds.  Last year I remember him on an out not tapping the second foot on an easy catch and being out of bounds.  

Yesterday he had a good sense of the sideline and did a good job.  Was it a great catch?  No a good one on a great throw from the end zone on the run. 

1 minute ago, TaskersGhost said:

You said, and I quote, "his development is normal." 

It's not normal for the expecations of a 37th overall WR  who was touted as a top prospect.  Can't even believe you're arguing that.  

I dont' know, perhaps it's "normal" for a good chunk of fans that seem to have lost their sense of what good actually is.  

For a player that was rated as having been among the few best at his position in his draft, and considering that he ranks thus far near the bottom and well below even 4th and 5th WRs in terms of target catch %, as being closer to a bust than what he was expected to be.  

If that takes him three seasons, well, there are dozens of WRs, most taken well after him, who are in their first three or four seasons that are playing far better than Jones.  That can ONLY mean that his development is far from normal for a player chosen merely 5 picks out of the 1st round.  

It can take a couple years for a WR to find himself. Some dominate right away, others do not for various reasons. Zay never had a QB until now, that's the difference. What happened yesterday will happen again and again. Also, keep in mind we have an inadequate and impotent OL, that has effected our passing game. We are not the Pittsburgh Steelers the Buffalo Bills are coming straight from the gutter, the entire offense has to be built from the ground up. We did not have a 15 year veteran QB like Drew Brees or Ben Roethlisberger, we had Nathan Peterman and AJ McCarron. Of course other receivers have found success sooner but if you put them here they'd look like Zay.

• Like (+1) 1

Zay is coming around nicely.

He sure would benefit from a smart experienced receiver to help him develop.

I am not against the Bills overspending for one of these older guys.

Zay, Foster and the high round rookie (we are sure to get) AND Josh Allen could use the knowledge.

Bills got the extra money, go get a Cobb/Tate type player from one of these "cap strapped" teams.

If not in FA then trade for one.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

It can take a couple years for a WR to find himself. Some dominate right away, others do not for various reasons. Zay never had a QB until now, that's the difference. What happened yesterday will happen again and again. Also, keep in mind we have an inadequate and impotent OL, that has effected our passing game. We are not the Pittsburgh Steelers the Buffalo Bills are coming straight from the gutter, the entire offense has to be built from the ground up. We did not have a 15 year veteran QB like Drew Brees or Ben Roethlisberger, we had Nathan Peterman and AJ McCarron. Of course other receivers have found success sooner but if you put them here they'd look like Zay.

Exactly.  Not only did the Bills not have the experienced QB they had KB as the veteran WR.

That guy didn't help anyone.  If anything he was a detriment to Zays' growth. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Zay had his second decent game of the year. I guess I’m supposed to declare he is the next AB if I don’t want to get banned from this site. 

Zay is ranked the 40th WR in receptions and 53 in yards................with this years offense.

That is already a decent #2 WR.  He could easily grow into a solid to top end #2.

But don't let that stop you.

2 hours ago, TaskersGhost said:

For a 2nd-round pick taken 37th overall he should have "come around" last season.  

He's still very below average in target% catches.  He also ranks behind 5 WRs drafted well after him that are playing much better than he is in most ways.  There are even a few backups that have posted numbers close to Jones' that don't even start.  

If he were anything close to what most thought then he should be posting 1,000 this season and he has no shot at that.  

He had a good game yesterday maybe, but he's posted only four games in both seasons of over 60 yards and only 3 games with more than 4 receptions, and none of those games were against good defenses.  The Jets and Miami have two of the worst defenses.  

...would that be based on YOUR timetable?.....I certainly understand it is a lateral move from 160 catches at East Carolina to the NFL.......the level of competition is virtually the same.....

24 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Zay is ranked the 40th WR in receptions and 53 in yards................with this years offense.

That is already a decent #2 WR.  He could easily grow into a solid to top end #2.

But don't let that stop you.

Stop me from what exactly. Stop creating drama.  He is 76th in yards. I like him. I don’t get the attacks on everyone once a bill has a decent game. 

4 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Stop me from what exactly. Stop creating drama.  He is 76th in yards. I like him. I don’t get the attacks on everyone once a bill has a decent game. 

Your comment about comparing him to AB seemed a little over the top.  Most posters would not compare him to AB nor should they.

I gave the correct ranking for a WR.  Your rankings (receiving yards) include RBs and TEs.

I see your point about some peoples overreactions but he is playing pretty good this year.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TaskersGhost said:

That is why he is "not there yet"  he is simply improving and showing that he could belong in our future plans

In no way do I want him as my number 1

1 minute ago, nedboy7 said:

He's also 6'2 with feet of a ballerina, he can be a red zone weapon. People did the same thing to Robert Woods. How he is nothing more than a #2 and he'll never be a #1. Guess what? He's one of the main guys over there on a playoff team. Same thing would happen with Zay. Slightly different skill sets, but similar draft position and similar labels were placed on them unfairly. Yes he can be a #1, he is right now and you can draft someone in the 1st round but they ain't going to beat out a 3 year pro. Just rejoice that Allen has a legit NFL receiver to throw to.