Zay Jones - Coming Around Nicely

13 hours ago, PeterDude said:

Then he's not cutout for football right?

What would he be cutout for? Do you want him to check himself into a ward? Not sure what you want from the kid. He had a pretty good NCAA career, and is showing some good stuff lately. Football doesn't seem like a terrible path for him. 

9 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Zay is the type of guy who moves the chains and can score in the red zone. Once again he nearly had 3 TDs yesterday, that's what you want from a #1. I think Zay will put up 1,000yards next year or close to it. Granted it'll be at 11yac but still there's nothing wrong at all with 10 yards and a 1st down. He can be a 10TD guy. Once again, he is a big WR in the red zone, big 6'2 target and has wonderful feet. We need a splashy #2. 

Whether or not he is labeled as a #1 or #2 receiver isn't important. What's more important is having a collection of receivers whose individual talents enhance and reinforce the unit. A speed receiver who makes the defense back-up would make Zay Jones more effective. Zay Jones making a lot of inside and short and medium range receptions makes the speed wide-out/s more effective. If you add a TE threat that also makes the other receivers and unit in general better. In addition, in some games the so-called #2 receiver becomes the primary receiver. And in other games the #1 receiver becomes the primary receiver. And then there are games where the TE is the dominant receiver. The point is that whatever a receiver's role is it is an important role regardless what the role designation is.  

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Whether or not he is labeled as a #1 or #2 receiver isn't important. What's more important is having a collection of receivers whose individual talents enhance and reinforce the unit. A speed receiver who makes the defense back-up would make Zay Jones more effective. Zay Jones making a lot of inside and short and medium range receptions makes the speed wide-out/s more effective. If you add a TE threat that also makes the other receivers and unit in general better. In addition, in some games the so-called #2 receiver becomes the primary receiver. And in other games the #1 receiver becomes the primary receiver. And then there are games where the TE is the dominant receiver. The point is that whatever a receiver's role is it is an important role regardless what the role designation is.  

Absolutely. I like looking at it from that pov as well. Targets determine how a defense will react. More than anything we need a Kamara or McCaffery over a TE or WR though. Even more than Marquise Brown. We need an all purpose back. Someone who is going to put up 2,000 yards from the LOS. If the Bills were smart they'd dump Shady and Ivory and sign LeVeon Bell and draft another guy RDs 4-5. That right there is what we need. I'm not saying we don't need another WR or TE because we do but RB needs to be fixed first.

I hate to disagree but you are seeing a very limited wide receiver in Zay Jones. Certainly a big improvement from his rookie year, but that rookie year was historically bad.

Heres the problem with Zay - he cannot get consistent separation when being played man to man. The plays you see him making are generally breakdowns in zone coverage or him finding the right openings in the zone coverage. Which is fine, but very limited. And when you are that limited, you better have great hands and be able to make the tough catches. He does not. Almost all the passes he catches are in his wheelhouse. He almost never comes down with a tough catch. Yesterday was a perfect example. Early in the game he missed a high but catchable ball. And of course at games end he dropped a very catchable ball. Many college receivers who will never make it in the NFL routinely make that catch. And of course it was man to man coverage, and as so often seen, Zay had little to no separation. Allen throws a great back shoulder pass, negating the tight coverage, and Zay can’t make the play. He has to be better than that. Allen deserves better receivers 

5 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Absolutely. I like looking at it from that pov as well. Targets determine how a defense will react. More than anything we need a Kamara or McCaffery over a TE or WR though. Even more than Marquise Brown. We need an all purpose back. Someone who is going to put up 2,000 yards from the LOS. If the Bills were smart they'd dump Shady and Ivory and sign LeVeon Bell and draft another guy RDs 4-5. That right there is what we need. I'm not saying we don't need another WR or TE because we do but RB needs to be fixed first.

I'm more interested in dramatically upgrading the OL than in opening the vault for LeVeon Bell. If you significantly upgrade the line up uplift this stuck offense. I also agree with you that we need backs who have fresher legs. That's where I am at. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm more interested in dramatically upgrading the OL than in opening the vault for LeVeon Bell. If you significantly upgrade the line up uplift this stuck offense. I also agree with you that we need backs who have fresher legs. That's where I am at. 

I'm sure the entire offense is getting gutted. I'm salivating over all our cap space and draft picks. I'm starting to believe in the process again. We can easily fix everything on offense. If mock draft hacks such as myself and many others can put out fantastic mock drafts and mock offseasons what do you think coach McD is going to do?

1 hour ago, Juice_32 said:

I loved Zay's postgame interview. Coming off of the best statistical performance of his career, he was pissed as hell that they lost. 

That screams leadership.  As time goes, he is going to be the one that holds players accountable.

The Bills knew he was that type of person, which is why they dealt with the off season stuff.  He's an emotional kid. But on the field and in front of the press, he keeps it together.

After this past offseason he knew he had better come to work or his future wouldn't look real bright ! I had hoped given what they thought of him coming out of the draft he would be the guy we see on the field now !

I still don't think he's a #1 (although he is given wha they have in the WR room now) but he will be a good #2 n Dabol's when they find their #1 WR !! 

10 hours ago, Augie said:

Trust the mods. If he keeps up with being worthless it’s a matter of time. I’m all for different opinions, but there’s another level that they will deal with in time. 

It was the Mahomes avatar that made me think it was the same clown. Subtle, I know. 

Fella was bashing the Sabres and calling hockey bush league in another thread. He's just here to pee in the cheerios.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Fella was bashing the Sabres and calling hockey bush league in another thread. He's just here to pee in the cheerios.

Don't dismiss the utility of cheerios soaked in pee. The pee soaked oats not only ad nutritional value but it also fortifies one's immune system. However, the downside to this product is that it can make you look very yellow. It has to be acknowledged that the jaundiced look is not very appealing to others.  :ph34r:

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

I just wanted to give a shoutout to Zay Jones. Lost in all this Allen talk and KB Clay talk is Zay Jones. He has really stepped up his game running routes, blocking, his hands have been fantastic and unlike K-Biscuit and Clay, he seems to be working his tail off.

considering there were posts calling him the “biggest bust in history,” the issues in the off-season, and coming off a surgery, he has really made great progress.

Kudos Zay!

PS: How about that throw and catch by Allen and Zay on 3rd and 12 on our own 2 yard line!

For a 2nd-round pick taken 37th overall he should have "come around" last season.  

He's still very below average in target% catches.  He also ranks behind 5 WRs drafted well after him that are playing much better than he is in most ways.  There are even a few backups that have posted numbers close to Jones' that don't even start.  

If he were anything close to what most thought then he should be posting 1,000 this season and he has no shot at that.  

He had a good game yesterday maybe, but he's posted only four games in both seasons of over 60 yards and only 3 games with more than 4 receptions, and none of those games were against good defenses.  The Jets and Miami have two of the worst defenses.  

2 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

For a 2nd-round pick taken 37th overall he should have "come around" last season.  

He's still very below average in target% catches.  He also ranks behind 5 WRs drafted well after him that are playing much better than he is in most ways.  There are even a few backups that have posted numbers close to Jones' that don't even start.  

If he were anything close to what most thought then he should be posting 1,000 this season and he has no shot at that.  

He had a good game yesterday maybe, but he's posted only four games in both seasons of over 60 yards and only 3 games with more than 4 receptions, and none of those games were against good defenses.  The Jets and Miami have two of the worst defenses.  

You are right, our QB/Offense is as potent as the other WR's your are thinking of. It probably has nothing to do with having 4 different QB's throwing to him this season alone.

Did I say other WR's drafted in past two years werent playing better? Nope. Did I say he was the best? Nah..... I did say he has stepped up and is coming around - which is still valid.

"he should have come around last season." I mean he got shoulder surgery this off-season that he played through all last season, surely that counts for something....

• Like (+1) 1

Should have caught that third & 11 pass at the end & also another tough catch (but catchable) ball was dropped ......  Seen so many receivers hold on or make those catches.

Always 2 steps forward, 1 step back with him.

I actually can 't remember a great catch he's made.

Edited by Billsfan1972

19 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Descent game by Zay today.

Still would have liked to see him make 1 or two more plays though.

That 3rd and 11 in the first half (was a tough catch don’t get me wrong)

And the one at the end of course. I know it should have been PI but would have liked to see him come down with it regardless.

Overall he has progressed nicely this year though and actually looks like a NFL receiver 

I thought it was more of an ascent game.

14 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Should have caught that third & 11 pass at the end & also another tough catch (but catchable) ball was dropped ......  Seen so many receivers hold on or make those catches.

Always 2 steps forward, 1 step back with him.

I actually can 't remember a great catch he's made.

His first TD catch. What about the toe tap sideline catch when Josh threw a laser on 3rd and 12 from our own 2

4 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

His first TD catch. What about the toe tap sideline catch when Josh threw a laser on 3rd and 12 from our own 2

Thanks for reminding me in his rookie season he not having the ability to tap his toes.  Yesterday it was a perfect pass that he caught and tapped his tows.  Both TD's were perfect throws too.  I'm talking making a difficult catch, adjusting where needed, getting up in the air, taking it out of the defenders hands or absorbing a hit while catching.

Don't remember those.  

Edited by Billsfan1972