Green Bay Packers: HC Mike McCarthy fired

Packers are in trouble.  They have so much money tied up in Rodgers that they have little room for failure in the draft.   

He goes down and they are a Top 3 pick in the draft.  That's the margin.  

9 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Packers are in trouble.  They have so much money tied up in Rodgers that they have little room for failure in the draft.   

He goes down and they are a Top 3 pick in the draft.  That's the margin.  

i said at the signing of his deal that it was a bad thing for the Pack as:

1)  he is getting long in the tooth and a decent hit will end his career

2)  they aren't good enough to support him

but mostly i got grief from the geniuses on here...

17 hours ago, PeterDude said:

How does it feel to want?

What are you talking about? What is it that I want?

I simply mentioned that I would prefer to have you stop beating a dead horse over and over again. We all get that you don't like McDermott. There are many of us who are just tired of the constant crusade. Nothing personal against you at all. No need to be an ass about it. Just a kind request to stop crusading.

McCarthy Addressed Players, Coaches After Firing

The Green Bay Packers moved on from Mike McCarthy but didn't banish the former coach from the facility.

Interim coach Joe Philbin said the team allowed McCarthy to address the team on Wednesday. Team president Mark Murphy, manager Brian Gutekunst, director of football operations Russ Ball and Philbin also permitted McCarthy to speak to the coaching staff on Tuesday.

"We all saw him as a staff, which was great," Philbin said Thursday, via ESPN. "Then we talked, and he wanted an opportunity to speak with the team. I was 100 percent, fully supportive of [it], and he did a fantastic job talking to the team. Not just about football and winning football games, but his passion. His passion for the game, his love for the players was clearly evident. I'm sure it was emotional for him and everybody in the room. It was awesome. I thought he did a great job."

It's unusual for a team to allow a fired coach to address his former players and staff, but the Packers thought it would bring some closure after McCarthy led the Packers for 13 years.

"He spoke to the team yesterday and that was good," Murphy said on WTMJ radio. "I think Mike wanted some closure with the players and some of the other coaches to be able to thank them and say goodbye to them as well."

13 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

McCarthy will have a Reid like impact with whatever team he ends up on.

Rodgers is the real issue in GB.

...strictly opinion, but it doesn't seem to me like the Pack has seriously addressed their running game over the years to compliment  Rodgers' passing abilities.....and I'd guess with McCarthy calling plays, he was fine with that....could that be a component of the McCarthy vs Rodgers "rub"?...............

51 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...strictly opinion, but it doesn't seem to me like the Pack has seriously addressed their running game over the years to compliment  Rodgers' passing abilities.....and I'd guess with McCarthy calling plays, he was fine with that....could that be a component of the McCarthy vs Rodgers "rub"?...............

Less run game?  I don't think so.  Lack of OL, mebbe.

I would guess lack of defense, and whatever they need and don't got on ST - stupid ST play.

Whoever GB brings in as HC needs to be willing to rein in Big 12 to accept more run game and buy in to a game plan strategy.

Winston Moss on FOX this morning was interesting. What I got out of it:

1. Aaron has been the " coach" the last few years.

2. Aaron should have input in the next coach, but that's it. Decision shouldn't be soley his. 

3. Lastly, he pulled out a couple of Championship rings(1 college and 1 SB) and explained both were the result of TEAM victories, not just 1 player.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Less run game?  I don't think so.  Lack of OL, mebbe.

I would guess lack of defense, and whatever they need and don't got on ST - stupid ST play.

Whoever GB brings in as HC needs to be willing to rein in Big 12 to accept more run game and buy in to a game plan strategy.

...maybe we need to add "QUALITY" to run game analysis or lack thereof...................

...getting quite laughable............

Brett Favre on coaching the Packers: Only 'intrigued' but 'never say never'

Scott Gleeson-USA Sports
7 hrs ago

Former Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre said he's "not ready" to become an NFL coach and fill the vacancy for his former team. But the Hall of Famer kept the idea open long-term, saying he's "learned to never say never" on what the future might hold. 

"It's definitely interesting," Favre told TMZ Sports of the possibility of coaching the Packers. "But believe me, that's not going to happen. How can you not be intrigued by that? They would never offer, but even if they would, that's ... I'm not ready for that and neither are they."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/brett-favre-on-coaching-the-packers-only-intrigued-but-never-say-never/ar-BBQR3Dt?li=BBnba9I

• 2 weeks later...