Sign in to follow this  
transplantbillsfan

Josh Allen will be a 2019 NFL MVP candidate

transplant on every Bills starting QB since the beginning of time: “He’s going to be great and here are all the reasons why you are wrong if you don’t agree with me”

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

transplant on every Bills starting QB since the beginning of time: “He’s going to be great and here are all the reasons why you are wrong if you don’t agree with me”

Christian-Bale-Kiss.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/how-recent-history-for-young-quarterbacks-looks-favorably-for-josh-allen-enterin

“I think he’s going to be a great player,” said Sirius XM NFL Radio host Pat Kirwan. “His athleticism, we all knew he had it, but watching him this is rare athletic skill. His ability to give himself a chance to win games with the way he works around the pocket. He can do so many things that a lot of quarterbacks can’t do just to get himself open to extend plays and throw the ball.

“You get him the right set of receivers, look out. I think he’s going to take a quantum leap in year two.”

Recent history has shown that most quarterbacks who see significant action in their rookie season advance their team’s fortunes in their second season under center. Nine out of 11 current NFL quarterbacks, who started at least seven games as a rookie, helped raised their team’s won-loss record by an average of three wins (see chart).

Six of those quarterbacks helped their team post a winning record after being under .500 the season prior.

“He’s not arrived by any means, but I know who he is and he is not complacent,” said Beane of Allen. “This guy is competitive. He wants to get better. He wants to be the best at his craft. He’s got a really good plan. We talked to a lot of the young guys and Josh has a really good plan for the offseason to come back here bigger, stronger, faster and mentally even stronger.”

• Like (+1) 4

It’s nice to have hope 

will wait and see 

32 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It’s nice to have hope 

will wait and see 

Transplant loves hard and loves long. There is still a bit of Tyrod in his heart.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Transplant loves hard and loves long. There is still a bit of Tyrod in his heart.

and EJ... and Fitz.... and JP..... and......

35 minutes ago, Foxx said:

Same. 😢

but i think the great thing about Allen is this regime learned from the mistakes of past Bills’ regimes.    Finally, they are getting things right with Allen.  They gave him an OC with a proven record of success in the nfl; didn’t start him before he was ready; gave him a veteran qb to learn from to start the season; and they put quality talent around him so he wouldn’t get himself hurt.  So refreshing to see we finally have a super smart, forward thinking franchise for once! 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Foxx said:

Not EJ.  He was awful and robotic and just was a huge mistake of a pick.

Still like Fitz.  Didn't think we should have cut him.  Not saying he's a Franchise QB, but he's a guy who could have started another year or two and we'd have been fine.

JP Losman is honestly a QB I can say I never liked.

But I liked Edwards and legitimately think if not for getting his bell rung by Adrian Wilson he would have been QB of the Bills for a bit longer and stood a shot at being decent.

and I still like you... I still like you  :wub:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Still like Fitz.  Didn't think we should have cut him.  Not saying he's a Franchise QB, but he's a guy who could have started another year or two and we'd have been fine.

But I liked Edwards and legitimately think if not for getting his bell rung by Adrian Wilson he would have been QB of the Bills for a bit longer and stood a shot at being decent.

Fitz was the Bills QB I stood by longer than I should. I loved him and still love him. Man did he compete and fight and give us a chance in many games we should never have been in. Sadly he lost us some we should have won too. 

14 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

EJ would have the highest qb rating on any qb on the Bills roster. 😉

16 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

That Edwards excuse is one that persists but has no merit IMO. He came back and played one of the best games of his career FOLLOWING the hit in AZ. It's a false narrative for a failed QB.

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

excuse me.... bartender...bartender... i'll have what he's having.

🙌

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

That Edwards excuse is one that persists but has no merit IMO. He came back and played one of the best games of his career FOLLOWING the hit in AZ. It's a false narrative for a failed QB.

He was getting a lot of good press right up until that hit.  I'm not saying there is a direct cause and effect link, but he was 4-0 with a QB rating flirting with 100 on average for those 4 games.

We can't say for sure one way or the other whether or not that hit effected the way he played post his concussion.  I happen to believe that it did play a role in his drop off and that to my recollection he did have a tendency to check down even more so after that injury.

With that said, Losman and EJ Manuel both stunk.   I'm just glad to see that we have a QB that is much better than those two bums.

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

He was getting a lot of good press right up until that hit.  I'm not saying there is a direct cause and effect link, but he was 4-0 with a QB rating flirting with 100 on average for those 4 games.

We can't say for sure one way or the other whether or not that hit effected the way he played post his concussion.  I happen to believe that it did play a role in his drop off and that to my recollection he did have a tendency to check down even more so after that injury.

With that said, Losman and EJ Manuel both stunk.   I'm just glad to see that we have a QB that is much better than those two bums.

Then why did Edwards have a great game AFTER the hit in AZ? Like the very next game. The 4-0 start was a mirage and I seem to recall a string of seasons in which the Bills started out well and tanked down the stretch. 

It's water under the bridge at this point, but I think it's a false narrative. Edwards just wasn't very good and QB's who aren't very good tend to stay the same or even regress as the league learns their tendencies. 

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Then why did Edwards have a great game AFTER the hit in AZ? Like the very next game. The 4-0 start was a mirage and I seem to recall a string of seasons in which the Bills started out well and tanked down the stretch. 

It's water under the bridge at this point, but I think it's a false narrative. Edwards just wasn't very good and QB's who aren't very good tend to stay the same or even regress as the league learns their tendencies. 

It doesn't have to be that he could no longer have any good games its that I believe his internal clock had changed and he no longer had the desire to "stand tall" in the pocket and looked to check down more often than before the injury.

I think he could have been an OK NFL starter.  

• Thanks! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Foxx said:

excuse me.... bartender...bartender... i'll have what he's having.

🙌

Still got a little time before happy hour but feel free to look it up. I only speak facts. 😉

11 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I supported Edwards until we got TO and Evans.  It became painfully obvious he wasn’t the answer and was too scared to throw down field.

but this is what happens all the time. Qbs can get by for a little bit but defenses will try to take away your strengths.  It will be very interesting to see how DCs scheme Allen (I’m assuming keep him in the pocket, take away the long stuff).  How he adjusts will determine his future.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Still got a little time before happy hour but feel free to look it up. I only speak facts. 😉

I supported Edwards until we got TO and Evans.  It became painfully obvious he wasn’t the answer and was too scared to throw down field.

but this is what happens all the time. Qbs can get by for a little bit but defenses will try to take away your strengths.  It will be very interesting to see how DCs scheme Allen (I’m assuming keep him in the pocket, take away the long stuff).  How he adjusts will determine his future.

I think he'll see teams copy what the Lions did. In other words, make Allen a QB. Now he's got a rocket and he's not gunshy like the last QB we heard that about, but that's what I expect him to face.

It's alot like baseball that way. You'll see a young hitter go on a tear. Pitchers will learn his tendencies and he'll go through a rough patch. The guys that stick are the guys that have a counterpunch.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Fitz was the Bills QB I stood by longer than I should. I loved him and still love him. Man did he compete and fight and give us a chance in many games we should never have been in. Sadly he lost us some we should have won too. 

Agreed.  He wasn't good enough to be our long term answer.  But in retrospect, he was the absolute perfect "bridge QB" that we should have kept for another year or two.

44 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Sticking with your stats I see  :doh:

50 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I was never an Edwards guy. I was a doubter even after that 4-0 start. 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I was never an Edwards guy. I was a doubter even after that 4-0 start. 

Same here. Although I totally believed in JP Losman. Haven't been fooled since because I developed a "show me" stance. I'll believe in a QB when I see them get it done over a long period of time. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Same here. Although I totally believed in JP Losman. Haven't been fooled since because I developed a "show me" stance. I'll believe in a QB when I see them get it done over a long period of time. 

With both JP after his decent season and EJ after his rookie year I felt they deserved the benefit of the doubt but I was soon off the bandwagon the following season. 

Tyrod I actually liked his first year here but from game 1 of his second season I had doubts and by the Cincy game that year I was ready to move on. Somewhere around that 20-25 start mark is usually enough for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

With both JP after his decent season and EJ after his rookie year I felt they deserved the benefit of the doubt but I was soon off the bandwagon the following season. 

Tyrod I actually liked his first year here but from game 1 of his second season I had doubts and by the Cincy game that year I was ready to move on. Somewhere around that 20-25 start mark is usually enough for me. 

Yeah. I wasn't "fooled" by Tyrod per se, although he regressed from that first season(where he did have a nice connection with Watkins).

His limitations were pretty apparent right off the bat. He would throw the deep ball to Watkins, but he was hellbent on not throwing over the middle. He performed pretty much as I expected as a Bill. Decent, but not good enough.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think he'll see teams copy what the Lions did. In other words, make Allen a QB. Now he's got a rocket and he's not gunshy like the last QB we heard that about, but that's what I expect him to face.

It's alot like baseball that way. You'll see a young hitter go on a tear. Pitchers will learn his tendencies and he'll go through a rough patch. The guys that stick are the guys that have a counterpunch.

Are you implying he was challenged to be a QB in that game and didn't meet the challenge?

https://theathletic.com/721909/2018/12/19/a-one-dimensional-passer-how-josh-allen-quieted-his-critics-with-versatile-showing-against-the-lions/

A one-dimensional passer? How Josh Allen quieted his critics with versatile showing against the Lions

In Allen’s fourth game back since injuring his elbow, he looked the most comfortable in the pocket that we have seen all season. That was mainly due to the Lions’ game plan to make him “play quarterback” rather than let him play outside the structure of the play. Rather than blitz the rookie, which they did just four times Sunday, the Lions executed muddle rushes where their defensive ends didn’t go any deeper than Allen’s drop. They also executed very few stunts and routinely assigned a spy, all to discourage Allen from taking off and hurting them with his legs. Detroit’s strategy was similar to what teams would use to defend Michael Vick in his prime.

When I turned on the film, I came away impressed with Allen’s game. He displayed the “layers” of throws that Palmer helped him harness.

The fastball 

Big arm 

Taking tempo off the ball

And from my own observations in that game in terms of accuracy, of his 26 passes, he only threw 4 inaccurate/uncatchable passes.  

• Like (+1) 1

I was implying that teams are going to use that gameplan because he's been most dangerous with his legs. He had a decent game against Detroit. Not great, but decent.

If I were devising a game plan for JA, I would focus on taking away his running lanes and his deep options. That's what I expect to see from teams next season. Making no prognostications on how he will handle it. Teams are essentially going to dare him to beat them with RB's/TE's/the underneath stuff. He's just gotta hit the gimmies to beat it.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

It’s nice to have hope 

will wait and see 

...true but he sure as hell needs a strong supporting cast.......won't be the franchise guy for long health wise if he's forced to put the team on his shoulders weekly......2019 will be a true test for McBeane and McDermott to resolve this via draft and FA......6-10 next year and Josh on IR could be "color pink"...........stay tuned...........

• Like (+1) 1