Sign in to follow this  
transplantbillsfan

Josh Allen will be a 2019 NFL MVP candidate

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. I was in the pub with a Falcons fan last week and that was exactly his take too. Runs too much and not a good pocket QB. I don't think they are right but Josh has a lot to do to change those perceptions.

Right on. We already know other than rookie and read mistakes, the OL was awful, numerous dropped passes. Also, the pressure Allen had to feel stepping in like he did. The experience of last year can only make him stronger...I expect big things from Josh soon.

8 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Right on. We already know other than rookie and read mistakes, the OL was awful, numerous dropped passes. Also, the pressure Allen had to feel stepping in like he did. The experience of last year can only make him stronger...I expect big things from Josh soon.

...from a Falcon fan perspective, there is no comparison, ala Ryan's supporting cast vs Allen's "lack thereof".....but the kid was hell bent on putting the team on his shoulders to make SOMETHING or ANYTHING happen.....and THAT needs to drastically change in 2019.....this kid has the makings of being the OBD franchise QB long term versus a short term exit on a gurney...I prefer long term (COUGH)....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Yes, if you lose I don’t think you’d make it a full day without a qb “prognostication” thread. You just can’t help it.

under 1 day, over 12 posts in a loss.

And you understand that we're talking pro bowl, not MVP, right?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

And you understand that we're talking pro bowl, not MVP, right?

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but you could be betting on how many jelly beans fit in your mouth- my commentary is on your ability to fulfill the terms 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...from a Falcon fan perspective, there is no comparison, ala Ryan's supporting cast vs Allen's "lack thereof".....but the kid was hell bent on putting the team on his shoulders to make SOMETHING or ANYTHING happen.....and THAT needs to drastically change in 2019.....this kid has the makings of being the OBD franchise QB long term versus a short term exit on a gurney...I prefer long term (COUGH)....

Yes! I only named a few of the obstacles that Allen was faced with last year...and he lived to tell about it!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Yes! I only named a few of the obstacles that Allen was faced with last year...and he lived to tell about it!

I hate to say it...but all of the adversity may have been a blessing. Baptism by fire can hurt a lot of young QB's. I don't see that with Josh...another day at the office. 

7 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

...certainly appreciate this kid's "no guts no glory...no bawls no blue chips" mentality and moxy to lead his team...but Dorsey and Palmer need to temper his "all on my back mentality" for longevity sake...we all knew about his "rocket arm" as advertised......but from what I've read here about OTA's, he is making strides on finesse and touch in the passing game, a damn good sign to me that this kid knows where improvements need to be.....he is grounded, humble and respectful of the game IMO....his recent quote about "our team and our family" says a helluva lot to me...wrong Josh?...um ok...........

43 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I don’t know if you’ve notice but you could be betting on how many jelly beans fit in your mouth- my commentary is on your ability to fulfill the terms 

Yeah, well I'm a man of my word. If @Foxx actually accepted the bet, I would definitely abide by the terms if I lost.

The problem seems to be that he just can't quit me, so there's no bet.

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...certainly appreciate this kid's "no guts no glory...no bawls no blue chips" mentality and moxy to lead his team...but Dorsey and Palmer need to temper his "all on my back mentality" for longevity sake...we all knew about his "rocket arm" as advertised......but from what I've read here about OTA's, he is making strides on finesse and touch in the passing game, a damn good sign to me that this kid knows where improvements need to be.....he is grounded, humble and respectful of the game IMO....his recent quote about "our team and our family" says a helluva lot to me...wrong Josh?...um ok...........

Yes, and from what I understand, Palmer and Dorsey are excellent mentors and teachers. Surely they are running him through his film and working with him closely. Allen knows he can throw the ball to Fort Erie, but he is learning all aspects of the QB position. After he was drafted we know he followed the press...reinforcing his I have to do it all attitude. 

2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Yes, and from what I understand, Palmer and Dorsey are excellent mentors and teachers. Surely they are running him through his film and working with him closely. Allen knows he can throw the ball to Fort Erie, but he is learning all aspects of the QB position. After he was drafted we know he followed the press...reinforcing his I have to do it all attitude. 

NICELY done bud............:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

I live in Chicago now. I asked some Bears fans about Allen. They said he runs too much. They don't know half the story behind that!

Interesting.

My coworker's husband is a huge Bears fan. He said he'd trade Trubisky for Allen any day.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Interesting.

My coworker's husband is a huge Bears fan. He said he'd trade Trubisky for Allen any day.

Really! Well that's another good perspective. Another thing that I have noticed (or maybe it is the suburb that I live in) I am not hearing as much Bears talk that I would expect. Ha! I told one guy that I am an Alumni of UB where Mack played...and he was like "big deal" I found that funny.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yeah, well I'm a man of my word. If @Foxx actually accepted the bet, I would definitely abide by the terms if I lost.

The problem seems to be that he just can't quit me, so there's no bet.

no. it is more that your, 'you can't be mean to me anymore' is too funny. i mean, what are you, 5 years old? i told you, set a realistic punishment for me and it's on. also, what is the bet on? talk of making the Pro Bowl as a 1st choice, not an alternate is what i think i remember but this is the 2019 NFL MVP candidate thread and that might be a more apropos condition. 

12 minutes ago, Foxx said:

no. it is more that your, 'you can't be mean to me anymore' is too funny. i mean, what are you, 5 years old? i told you, set a realistic punishment for me and it's on. also, what is the bet on? talk of making the Pro Bowl as a 1st choice, not an alternate is what i think i remember but this is the 2019 NFL MVP candidate thread and that might be a more apropos condition. 

I'm genuinely curious as to how you think my offer is any different than yours, especially considering how much these predictions I make clearly bother you.

Fine, I won't make you be something you're not.

Instead of being nice, you just put me on your ignore list and never make any mention of me on TBD.

Deal?

Or do you believe you're somehow valiant in your derision of me and the ONLY one on this message board with the ability to ground me in the reality you believe I'm not grounded In?

The bet that I offered another that you jumped in on with another offer is that Allen will be a 1st choice pro bowl vote, not an alternate.

That's the bet.

Go from a 52% passer with a 67.9 QBs rating to pro bowl and/or possible MVP.  At least some fans have realistic expectations.  

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Go from a 52% passer with a 67.9 QBs rating to pro bowl and/or possible MVP.  At least some fans have realistic expectations.  

What are your reasonable expectations for Allen this year?

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Wanna join the fun then?

Just now, Johnnycage46 said:

What are your reasonable expectations for Allen this year?

Win more with his arm than leg, around 60%, 3,200 passing yards (which is nothing anymore), at least 20 passing tds, and less than 10 ints (though I’m flexible on this if he is throwing more than 20 times/ game). 

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

Wanna join the fun then?

I mean I want you to be right even if I think it is crazy.  I respect you for working to defend Allen even though I don’t fully agree.  I think you have put yourself out there and have to take an extreme stance.  I respect you for that and good luck. 

That said, I think the Mahomes thing is a big reason for this.  Mahomes played in one game as a rookie and had more passing yards than Allen did in all of his starts.  Mahomes is an insanely special qb.  If Allen is close to Mitch T, I will be pretty happy. 

• Thanks! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Win more with his arm than leg, around 60%, 3,200 passing yards (which is nothing anymore), at least 20 passing tds, and less than 10 ints (though I’m flexible on this if he is throwing more than 20 times/ game). 

I mean I want you to be right even if I think it is crazy.  I respect you for working to defend Allen even though I don’t fully agree.  I think you have put yourself out there and have to take an extreme stance.  I respect you for that and good luck. 

That said, I think the Mahomes thing is a big reason for this.  Mahomes played in one game as a rookie and had more passing yards than Allen did in all of his starts.  Mahomes is an insanely special qb.  If Allen is close to Mitch T, I will be pretty happy. 

Mitch T? Heck, I supported Mitch some when he was getting fried early on but I think and hope Allen is much better. Allen has better instincts, hopefully he can fine tune the rest. 

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Just out of curiosity why does it matter how "he wins". If Allen is successful and wins with a mixture of run and pass (even if his running is paramount) would you be upset?  Just trying to figure out if winning is the goal or having "ideal" QB stats is the goal.  Also, I would be curious to know what you would think if Allen was more like Lamar Jackson...would you still want him to win more with his arm or would all be forgiven?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm genuinely curious as to how you think my offer is any different than yours, especially considering how much these predictions I make clearly bother you.

Fine, I won't make you be something you're not.

Instead of being nice, you just put me on your ignore list and never make any mention of me on TBD.

Deal?

Or do you believe you're somehow valiant in your derision of me and the ONLY one on this message board with the ability to ground me in the reality you believe I'm not grounded In?

The bet that I offered another that you jumped in on with another offer is that Allen will be a 1st choice pro bowl vote, not an alternate.

That's the bet.

alright, sure. what the hell why not. i will take you up on your first offer though. if I can't be nice to you, i won't say anything at all. in any and all TBD properties.

just so i understand though... i can't talk about fan of the Buffalo Bills from Hawaii, doesn't matter if he doesn't make predictions and just happens to live in the 50th state? what about any other transplanted Bills fans, that might be more than half the board?

the bet as i understand it is on the Pro Bowl. Allen has to be a first selection, one of the three QB's invited  (starter and/or a reserve) and not an alternate.

the Pro Bowl is half as hard to attain as the MVP award is, yet the competition might be greater. making a Pro Bowl does not mean one is in MVP contention though.  i do however feel you are at a disadvantage. Allen will have to beat out all but 2 of, Brady, Mahomes, Rivers, Luck, Mayfield, Darnold, Roethlisberger and/or Watson. for that reason i will only ask you to refrain from any and all predictions for  a period of 1 year.

what say you?

Edited by Foxx

10 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Mitch T? Heck, I supported Mitch some when he was getting fried early on but I think and hope Allen is much better. Allen has better instincts, hopefully he can fine tune the rest. 

Mitch T’s second year would be a hell of a jump for Allen and I think we all be pretty happy with it.  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TrubMi00.htm

I wasn’t a big Mitch T on his draft (I was all about Watson and Mahomes and there’s proof somewhere!) but he did go 2 overall.  I think these draft “experts” might have been completely wrong on the 2017 and 2018 qb draft class.  I think it will be hard pressed for anyone in the 2018 class to be better than Mahomes and Watson and hell Mitch T was solid. 

13 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Just out of curiosity why does it matter how "he wins". If Allen is successful and wins with a mixture of run and pass (even if his running is paramount) would you be upset?  Just trying to figure out if winning is the goal or having "ideal" QB stats is the goal.  Also, I would be curious to know what you would think if Allen was more like Lamar Jackson...would you still want him to win more with his arm or would all be forgiven?

Because history has shown running qbs don’t last. They will get hurt or teams will adjust to keep them in the pocket.  You need to throw to consistently win, especially with the rules today. 

How sad is it that your bet for a stranger on the internet is that they have to be nice to you..

• Thanks! (+1) 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Foxx said:

alright, sure. what the hell why not. i will take you up on your first offer though. if I can't be nice to you, i won't say anything at all. in any and all TBD properties.

just so i understand though... i can't talk about fan of the Buffalo Bills from Hawaii, doesn't matter if he doesn't make predictions and just happens to live in the 50th state? what about any other transplanted Bills fans, that might be more than half the board?

the bet as i understand it is on the Pro Bowl. Allen has to be a first selection, one of the three QB's invited  (starter and/or a reserve) and not an alternate.

the Pro Bowl is half as hard to attain as the MVP award is, yet the competition might be greater. making a Pro Bowl does not mean one is in MVP contention though.  i do however feel you are at a disadvantage. Allen will have to beat out all but 2 of, Brady, Mahomes, Rivers, Luck, Mayfield, Darnold, Roethlisberger and/or Watson. for that reason i will only ask you to refrain from any and all predictions for  a period of 1 year.

what say you?

I'd be fine with forever, but if you're giving me one year, I'll limit you to one year of being nice or completely ignoring me (both directly and indirectly... even in reference to "the poster in the 50th state" type posts) if I win.

Yes to pro bowl... no alternate.

Sounds like a deal :thumbsup:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Funny how this thread moved the goalposts from “MVP candidate” to “sneak into pro bowl”...

• Haha (+1) 2