Sign in to follow this  
transplantbillsfan

Josh Allen will be a 2019 NFL MVP candidate

39 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Biggest mistake by McD last season, IMHO, was not starting Josh Allen from week one.  He lost valuable playing time sitting on the bench.

If McD and Daboll can successfully implement and execute a spread/air-raid offense, Josh - with an improved line and receiver corps - could have 50 TDs and 5000 yards.

He’s that talented.

(Flame away.)

They got spooked when the O line forgot what they were supposed to be doing against the Bengals and Allen took a beating.

On 4/8/2019 at 8:05 AM, SoTier said:

I didn't say the Bills failed to significantly improve the offense.  Last season's offense was so pathetic, however, that an argument could be made for cutting the entire offense except for Allen and maybe 5 or 6 other players.  It simply did not have NFL caliber talent last year, and thinking that adding some decent but not great OLers and WRs is going to put the Bills offense on par with the big gun offenses like KC, NO, LA Rams, etc is just fantasy.  They literally had no offense last season except for Allen, and mostly Allen's running.  They may have ended up ranked as the worst offense in the NFL in 2018 if they hadn't kicked the crap out of a Miami team that was running for the bus.  As it was they were #31.  They have a long way just to get to "average".

Again, it's NOT about Allen vs Jackson.  It's about which QB is in a better situation because of the team around him -- and as of right now, Jackson is on the better team.

We will see if that is the case this year.......

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

They got spooked when the O line forgot what they were supposed to be doing against the Bengals and Allen took a beating.

I can accept that, I guess.  The o-line was playing so poorly, the Bills were probably afraid of a career-ending injury.

OTOH, I learned to swim by being thrown in the deep end of the pool. They called it “drown-proofing”.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Senator said:

I can accept that, I guess.  The o-line was playing so poorly, the Bills were probably afraid of a career-ending injury.

OTOH, I learned to swim by being thrown in the deep end of the pool. They called it “drown-proofing”.

I am going to say that I dont think this fit with Josh

When Josh Allen came back from that injury he looked like a completely different QB (and I was in the camp more then willing to just live with him starting and taking his lumps)

but the time on the bench DID help him...it is like the game slowed down for him a bit and he was ALWAYS supposed to be that guy that would benefit from sitting a year behind a veteran QB and then competing for the starting spot in year 2...the problem is the team screwed the pooch on that and did not provide the veteran QB.

Now we go to year 2.....and Josh gets a chance to biuld off the latter part of year 1....with improved OL and targets

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am going to say that I dont think this fit with Josh

When Josh Allen came back from that injury he looked like a completely different QB (and I was in the camp more then willing to just live with him starting and taking his lumps)

but the time on the bench DID help him...it is like the game slowed down for him a bit and he was ALWAYS supposed to be that guy that would benefit from sitting a year behind a veteran QB and then competing for the starting spot in year 2...the problem is the team screwed the pooch on that and did not provide the veteran QB.

Now we go to year 2.....and Josh gets a chance to biuld off the latter part of year 1....with improved OL and targets

Agree.  It’s water under the dam...over the bridge...whatever 😎

Looking forward to great things from Josh and the Bills this season.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GreggTX said:

This thread is an embarrassment. Let Josh show that he's good enough to be in the top half of starters, which he isn't, before we even begin this conversation.

Bruh... this is a sports message board.

Predictive threads are natural to sports message boards.

Come back to call this thread an embarrassment if Allen sucks this year. I don't think you'll be doing that.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, The Senator said:

Biggest mistake by McD last season, IMHO, was not starting Josh Allen from week one.  He lost valuable playing time sitting on the bench.

If McD and Daboll can successfully implement and execute a spread/air-raid offense, Josh - with an improved line and receiver corps - could have 50 TDs and 5000 yards.

He’s that talented.

(Flame away.)

Completely agree and I was pretty vocal about that:

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Agreed.

It was a seriously stupid 2nd guess at a moment when the plan was obviously for Allen to start, as he should have.

Posted (edited)
On 4/22/2019 at 9:19 PM, Thurman#1 said:

Preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-cisely. Completion percentage does not equal accuracy or ball placement.

But here's what you're missing again and again and again ... neither does your bull#### catchability obsession. In fact, it likely tells a good deal less about accuracy than completion percentage does.

My system at least keeps track of Throwaways, spikes, and batted balls, which are pretty objective.

Completion percentage doesn't.

Discard Allen's 25 passes that fall in that category alone, his completion percentage jumps 5%. Add even half of those 35+ drops/non-catches from that clip I posted (and I think saying at least half those balls shoulda been caught is being extremely generous... do you disagree?) and suddenly his completion percentage goes up to almost 64%.

So many factors go into completion percentage--decision making, protection, communication, WR ability--the fact that you're relying on it in this argument as THE MEASURE of accuracy is pathetic.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Posted (edited)
On 4/24/2019 at 6:04 AM, The Senator said:

Not sure that analogy holds up.

A few more people learn to swim than become top ten or twelve QBs.

It may be a touch easier to learn to swim.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 4/24/2019 at 1:36 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

Except it doesn't, and I pretty thoroughly explained to you why it doesn't.

Completion percentage includes a number of passes that are incomplete separate from ANY issue of accuracy. My "bull####" system accounted for those.

Try again.

Yup, you did indeed explain thoroughly ... but unsuccessfully ... why a system you made up based on hitting an area the size of a barn door equals accuracy.

Can't blame you for a bad explanation, it wasn't a problem with your explanation. There is no explanation which can successfully prove a falsehood.

You're committed to this idea, as you were committed to the dozens of deep and amazing research projects you did which "proved" Tyrod was a franchise quarterback. Tons and tons of projects and each one you earnestly and honestly believed had proven that Tyrod was a franchise guy. At one point you spent a month or two "proving" he was "near-elite."

This is what you do, convince yourself.

12 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, you did indeed explain thoroughly ... but unsuccessfully ... why a system you made up based on hitting an area the size of a barn door equals accuracy.

Can't blame you for a bad explanation, it wasn't a problem with your explanation. There is no explanation which can successfully prove a falsehood.

You're committed to this idea, as you were committed to the dozens of deep and amazing research projects you did which "proved" Tyrod was a franchise quarterback. Tons and tons of projects and each one you earnestly and honestly believed had proven that Tyrod was a franchise guy. At one point you spent a month or two "proving" he was "near-elite."

This is what you do, convince yourself.

Wow...

Literally a full post of hot air with you saying absolutely nothing as you try to steer this away from your fallacious argument about completion percentage equaling accuracy.

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Clap.gif

On 4/23/2019 at 5:04 PM, John from Riverside said:

We will see if that is the case this year.......

it's sad when we cling to it as such an exponential improvement to resort to "we'll see"

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Not sure that analogy holds up.

A few more people learn to swim than become top ten or twelve QBs.

It may be a touch easier to learn to swim.

You missed my point.  People learn more by doing than by watching.  That applies to just about every endeavor.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/23/2019 at 4:17 PM, The Senator said:

He’s that talented.

(Flame away.)

He literally came in during the first game and was named the starter in Week 2. The bigger issue was Josh Allen not getting many first team reps throughout TC.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-cbs-analyst-boomer-esiason-josh-allen-will-be-the-best-of-year-two-q

1. CBS analyst Boomer Esiason: Josh Allen will be the best of year two QBs

Patriots.com NFL reporter Don Banks polled Boomer Esiason, Phill Simms and Dan Orlovsky for their takes on the second-year quarterbacks from the 2018 class will make a notable performance jump in year two.

“Looking at these three guys, I think Josh Allen has the best chance to be the best out of the three of them, at least this year, simply because he’ll be in the same offense he had last year,’’ said Esiason, a CBS analyst on The NFL Today pre-game show. “Allen had a modicum of success last year due in large part to his physical stature and physical ability, with his ability to run and to make plays on the run.

Simms went on to say this about Allen.

“Josh Allen was almost tremendous last year in Buffalo, but nobody knew and nobody cared because they weren’t a good team,’’ said Simms, a first-round pick of the Giants in 1979, taken seventh overall. “When he came out for the draft, it was, ‘Well, he’s not accurate enough,’ all that stuff that created a negative connotation to him. But as I said on The NFL Today one day, ‘Hell, he’s must-watch TV. Between the running and the 50-yard incompletions, every play is exciting.”

Allen needs to look toward more short routes says Simms but he should definitely have help this year with Cole Beasley in the slot. Beasley has been one of the top players on short routes the past few years in the NFL and was consistently used as a safety-net for Dak Prescott in Dallas.

Simms thinks if Allen can look less downfield and more at what is in front of him, the competition between him and New York Jets quarterback Sam Darnold is a lot tighter.

“Darnold is going to improve this season, because he’s going to have Le’Veon Bell and all the other things they’ve done is going to really help him,” Simms said. “But really, really close behind him would be Josh Allen. With him the movement and the arm strength are phenomenal, and if he can learn to fall in love with 2-yard passes and learn to take the short stuff sometimes, there could be an interesting conversation on who’s going to have the big jump next season.’’

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001030504/article/which-2018-firstround-quarterback-will-win-the-most-games-in-2019?campaign=tw-nf-sf212596374-sf212596374&sf212596374=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Which 2018 first-round quarterback will win the most games in 2019?

Allen's Bills find success after a stellar offseason
All five of these young quarterbacks will see success at one point or another, but 2019 is Josh Allen's year to shine. He'll lead the Bills to an 11-5 record and playoff berth. Baker Mayfield's Browns and Lamar Jackson'sRavens won't be far behind. 

I really like how GM Brandon Beane and head coach Sean McDermott have built this team from the trenches out, adding center Mitch Morse, guard Quinton Spain and rookie guard/tackle Cody Ford on offense, as well as an aggressive pass rusher in first-round draft pick Ed Oliver. The Bills' big offseason additions will allow them to play a physical brand of football. Buffalo won't be flashy but will surprise a lot of teams this season.
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

On 4/23/2019 at 1:57 PM, Warcodered said:

This, and they basically openly stated this.  Both Beane and McD confirmed the plan going into the 3rd preseason game at that point was to start Josh week 1.  But that game made them second guess that, especially with how the OL almost got Josh killed.