Sign in to follow this  
transplantbillsfan

Josh Allen will be a 2019 NFL MVP candidate

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Agreed Stafford to be a worst case type scenario; but I feel like JA already possesses certain leadership traits/characteristics that Stafford never has. I’ll be greatly surprised if that’s Allen’s ceiling after 10 years!

Me too.

Stafford came in at a much different time though..........he was the #1 overall pick back when that made you among the highest paid players in the league.

The impression I got at the time was that he was spending a lot of time worrying about how to spend that money............not sure if he ever was the competitor that Allen is either.

Very gifted QB though.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I think Stafford wins much more with teams like last year's Vikings, Ravens, Texans.. the team that's presumably a QB away. He's not great, but he's good enough and let's not pretend like the Lions have done a bangup job his entire career.

Just saying.. you can win with Matt Stafford if you actually still have a good team IMO. It's just harder. He's not Drew Brees but switch him and Drew and Stat Padford could have a better record. Drew Brees had great stats on some crap 6-10 Saints teams. Stat Padford has spent his entire career on a bad supporting cast.

Worst case scenario is he flat out sucks. I'd love to have Stat Padford.

Awe dude not cool

Don’t get me wrong; if that’s what we end up with out of this, then I’ll still take that given where we’ve come from in the QB desert since Kelly hung it up. I think you have a decent point about Stafford’s supporting cast issues. But the leadership intangible thing is also real. This goes back to his GA days, which I got to see up close also.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Don’t get me wrong; if that’s what we end up with out of this, then I’ll still take that given where we’ve come from in the QB desert since Kelly hung it up. I think you have a decent point about Stafford’s supporting cast issues. But the leadership intangible thing is also real. This goes back to his GA days, which I got to see up close also.

Let's say worst case scenario is we have Stat Padford and we ARE the Lions throughout his career.

Anyways JA has the intangibles. The Stat Padford skillset would be more than enough talent to go with it.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

Just now, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Let's say worst case scenario is we have Stat Padford and we ARE the Lions throughout his career

At least QB wouldn’t be my #1 gripe for this team most of the time then :P. That alone would be a great change of pace! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

I think Stafford wins much more with teams like last year's Vikings, Ravens, Texans.. the team that's presumably a QB away. He's not great, but he's good enough and let's not pretend like the Lions have done a bangup job his entire career.

Just saying.. you can win with Matt Stafford if you actually still have a good team IMO. It's just harder. He's not Drew Brees but switch him and Drew and Stat Padford could have a better record. Drew Brees had great stats on some crap 6-10 Saints teams. Stat Padford has spent his entire career on a bad supporting cast.

Worst case scenario is he flat out sucks. I'd love to have Stat Padford.

Awe dude not cool

WTH is the matter with you?

oh, and you Can’t win with Matt Stafford. Ya know why? Cuz Matt Stafford can’t win with Matt Stafford.

• Skeptical 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

WTH is the matter with you?

oh, and you Can’t win with Matt Stafford. Ya know why? Cuz Matt Stafford can’t win with Matt Stafford.

That escalated quickly

Ya see the joke is we replied simultaneously in two opposite responses.

Ya can't win with JaMarcus Russell either in fact you probably have less a chance. Worst case scenario we have the worst possible Quarterback, if we don't like Stat Padford we sack up and cut bait just like we would EJ. What's the difference other than one is better than the other? You completely suck and have to draft a Quarterback early.. like tanking?

Matt Stafford clearly wins as a Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson substitute. Not to mention some of the great defensive teams that needed above average Quarterback play in the playoffs. Peterman doesn't. He's worst case scenario. It's up to management to figure out if swinging for better than Stat Padford is worth not building an effective team around him.

EDIT: sorry, Worst case Ontario we have the worst possible Quarterback

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

20 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

A bit too optimistic on the MVP talk. For now I just want him to stay healthy the whole season and show marked improvement as a passer.

Exactly! Some of us need to pump the brakes and allow him to develop at the pace we all expected. 

You would have sounded crazy to say Mahomes was an MVP candidate heading into the 2018 season. So I don't discount the possibility. However I do think that Allen's second season will be more like Mitchell Trubisky in terms of a significant leap in production but not a crazy Mahomes like ascension. I think if the Bills can get an impact pass rusher at pick 9 the defense should retain a top 10 level of play and if Allen can be an above average QB limiting mistakes and improving his play making (which given his increased experience and improved supporting cast should be more than possible) the Bills can win double digit games for the first time since 1999. 

I think Allen long term can really be the answer but I think he doesn't catch on fire quite as much as Mahomes did. Don't get me wrong I would love it, Allen is a great dude and had so many doubters (much like Mahomes who I thought would be a bust so that shows you what I know) that it would be great to see him work on a pro-level. But my realistic projections are to see Allen be more consistent and improve on a more gradual level as opposed to thinking he is suddenly going to throw for 50 TD's. 

• Like (+1) 2

Here's the thing, this kid has a stat that they don't track... It's called "spectacular play that should never happen"--Josh Allen has an elite # stat for that category and that alone gives the team something they have not had on this level in decades.

Think about how many highlight worthy plays he had. Crazy ***** that was awesome.

If not for so many bad WR performances and horrid incompletions he'd have more footage. Now with an off season spent training NFL style, and a then full camp with a year of game seasoning, there is no way Allen isn't much better this year.

I am in for some of that!

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, foreboding said:

Here's the thing, this kid has a stat that they don't track... It's called "spectacular play that should never happen"--Josh Allen has an elite # stat for that category and that alone gives the team something they have not had on this level in decades unlike anything ever seen in the NFL before.

Think about how many highlight worthy plays he had. Crazy ***** that was awesome.

If not for so many bad WR performances and horrid incompletions he'd have more footage. Now with an off season spent training NFL style, and a then full camp with a year of game seasoning, there is no way Allen isn't much better this year.

I am in for some of that!

Or QB plays made in ways I've never seen before in an NFL game.  He played in less than 11 full games and his SPTSNH index was definitely on the + side.

Can't wait to see him with the help he is now getting now. Should be quite entertaining.

MVP candidate .... wow nothing like getting WAY ahead of yourself

i guess we can all dream

On 3/26/2019 at 3:43 PM, oldmanfan said:

Love what I saw from Allen last year but we should not put unrealistic expectations on him.  MVP in season 2 is unrealistic.  Let him continue to develop, let him make better reads which should lead to more short/intermediate throws and so on.

Even if Allen takes a giant leap forward as a sophomore QB, the Bills simply don't have the team around him to enable him to put up the numbers or get the wins necessary for him to contend for league MVP.   Both Wentz (until his injury) and Mahomes were significantly helped in the MVP races in their sophomore years by the teams around them that allowed them to put up big numbers and lots of wins.   If any of the 2018 QBs were to be in the running for league MVP, I think it would Mayfield or Jackson. The Bills, Jets, and Cards simply aren't good enough offensively to help their young QBs put up great numbers compared to even the Browns or Ravens, not to mention the real powerhouses in the NFL.

• Skeptical 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I don't know if Allen will ever win MVP-you can accomplish a lot as a QB without that trophy-he reminds me of a more athletic Roethlisberger and he has never won the MVP.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Even if Allen takes a giant leap forward as a sophomore QB, the Bills simply don't have the team around him to enable him to put up the numbers or get the wins necessary for him to contend for league MVP.   Both Wentz (until his injury) and Mahomes were significantly helped in the MVP races in their sophomore years by the teams around them that allowed them to put up big numbers and lots of wins.   If any of the 2018 QBs were to be in the running for league MVP, I think it would Mayfield or Jackson. The Bills, Jets, and Cards simply aren't good enough offensively to help their young QBs put up great numbers compared to even the Browns or Ravens, not to mention the real powerhouses in the NFL.

Ummm... you think Lamar Jackson has a better shot...?

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen appears to possess a killer instinct that other QB’s, while talented, do not necessarily possess...if he can improve on his decision making- which I believe he can with more reps, the sky is the limit for him imo.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

And to you they never will because Terry is like Ralph and only wants $$ and on and on and on.

Here's a novel thought for you to contemplate.  How about actually letting them get into camp and at least have one practice before you declare them dead?

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ummm... you think Lamar Jackson has a better shot...?

He's on a better offensive team, so yeah, Jackson probably has a better chance compared to Allen.  The Bills offensive talent in 2018 was so poor that it's hard for me to see any of the Bills offensive players, except possibly McCoy, being a starter on any of the 2018 playoff teams except because of injury.  Beane's FA moves to address the lack of talent have been decent but even if all his moves work out well, that's unlikely to make the Bills into an offensive powerhouse. 

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

And to you they never will because Terry is like Ralph and only wants $$ and on and on and on.

Here's a novel thought for you to contemplate.  How about actually letting them get into camp and at least have one practice before you declare them dead?

Oh, look!  oldmanfan snarkilly accusing me of being negative again ... for about the 500th time  ... even when he/she/it has to make up manure to find that supposed "negativity".   What would make you happy, skippy?  Pretending that the Bills were a great offensive team in 2018????

Do you have a personal vendetta against me or is your agenda simply to silence any poster who doesn't blindly ascribe to your "Pegula/Beane/McDermott can do no wrong" propaganda? 

If you don't like my opinions, I suggest you put me on your ignore list if you can't keep your responses to my opinions about football and not about me.

15 hours ago, SoTier said:

Jackson LOL. You did notice, I’m sure, that just about every move the Ravens have made is turning the clock back 40 years to a run-heavy offense, right? If Jackson ever sniffs the top 15 as a QB in this league I’ll be surprised. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Oh, look!  oldmanfan snarkilly accusing me of being negative again ... for about the 500th time  ... even when he/she/it has to make up manure to find that supposed "negativity".   What would make you happy, skippy?  Pretending that the Bills were a great offensive team in 2018????

Do you have a personal vendetta against me or is your agenda simply to silence any poster who doesn't blindly ascribe to your "Pegula/Beane/McDermott can do no wrong" propaganda? 

If you don't like my opinions, I suggest you put me on your ignore list if you can't keep your responses to my opinions about football and not about me.

No personal vendetta.  You're just a joke.  You make dire predictions all the time.  Why is a mystery.

• Haha (+1) 1