Sign in to follow this  
transplantbillsfan

Josh Allen will be a 2019 NFL MVP candidate

20 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I hope you are right in that he has that Goff/Wentz like second year where he breaks out. I think the team will upgrade the Offensive talent around Allen greatly (with the cap space and another draft class they certainly have the tools to do so.) But I think Allen's progression won't be quite as dramatic. I could see him being more like the Bears QB who takes a nice significant step forward in year 2. 

Me too, and you know what? That is okay. Trubisky has had a pretty good year. If Allen matched that next season I'd be more than satisfied we are on the right path.

On 12/3/2018 at 3:33 AM, CuddyDark said:

He's gotta improve as a passer first. Teams will scout him and play him as a runner and force him to make throws. Can he make plays from the pocket will determine his future. 

Well, that's the beauty of the offseason: Allen can work on his game.

But it's not like he can't make plays from the pocket... pretty clear he can do that.  I expect a revamped offensive line will be the difference in actually providing him with that pocket more consistently.

https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/05/pro-football-focus-buffalo-bills-josh-allen/

What Pro Football Focus analysis says about Josh Allen's progress

Josh Allen – like nearly every rookie QB – had some ups and downs in his first taste of the NFL.

Through the first 11 weeks of the season, Allen ranked 38th out of 44 QBs who saw at least 100 offensive snaps with a 51.4 overall PFF grade, a grade that falls into a tier we consider to be "below average."

But over the last two weeks, 33 quarterbacks have been on the field for at least 50 offensive snaps, and Allen leads all of them with a 90.6 overall grade over that stretch. He’s done that with his arm (his 82.9 passing grade over the last two weeks ranks third) and his legs (his 87.1 rushing grade ranks first).

The seventh-overall pick ranked last among QBs from Weeks 1-11 with just a 64.7 adjusted completion percentage (adjusted completion percentage accounts for drops, throwaways, spikes, batted passes and occasions where a hit on the QBs release sends the ball sailing). He ranked 26th with a 3.4 big-time throw percentage (BTTs are our higher-graded throws, throwing a 10-yard hitch to pick up a first down will earn a QB a positive grade, but hitting a receiver 40-yards downfield in stride is going to earn him a higher one), while also posting the sixth-highest turnover worthy play percentage at 4.2 percent.

In summation: In the first six games, Allen wasn’t accurate, he wasn’t making those “wow” throws at even an average rate when compared to the rest of the league and he was putting the ball in harm’s way at a high rate. That’s not great.

The Allen of the last two weeks has been a different QB.

Allen posted the highest overall grade of his young career – up to that point – in Buffalo’s win vs. Jacksonville, earning a 79.1 overall grade to go with a 77.7 passing grade (which was also a career high).

Then he went out this past week in Miami and topped that performance. Allen earned an elite 90.8 overall grade against the Dolphins to go with an 80.0 passing grade and a 91.0 rushing grade, all three being career-best grades.

One of Allen’s biggest improvements as a passer has been on downfield throws.

From Weeks 1-11, 39 quarterbacks attempted at least 25 passes on throws that traveled at least 10 yards in the air. Allen ranked 36th among them with a 52.5 PFF passing grade on those throws and he ranked 29th with an 8.2 big-time throw percentage to go with a 9.8 turnover-worthy play percentage, the sixth worst among that group.

Since Week 12, 30 quarterbacks have attempted at least 10 passes that traveled at least 10 yards in the air, and the Bills rookie leads all of them with 35 attempts of at least 10 yards. Allen ranks eighth among that group with an 87.1 PFF passing grade on such throws, eighth with a 20.0 big-time throw percentage and his 5.7 turnover-worthy play rate is nearly half of what it was over his first six games.

He's not just looking to run when he gets out of the pocket either (whether that be on a designed rollout or because he’s been flushed out by pressure), making his legs an even bigger weapon. Twenty-five QBs over the past two weeks have attempted at least five passes from outside the pocket, Allen leads all of them with a 94.4 PFF passing grade on such throws over that stretch and he ranks second with three big-time throws while not having a single turnover worthy play out of the pocket.

If Josh Allen can continue to build off these last two weeks as we close out the season there will – rightfully – be plenty of optimism surrounding the Bills heading into 2019.

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2018 at 12:33 AM, CuddyDark said:

He's gotta improve as a passer first. Teams will scout him and play him as a runner and force him to make throws. Can he make plays from the pocket will determine his future. 

Once the OL issues are sorted I think it will change. The stat in another thread showing that he is the most hurried passer in the NFL says something. Some guys will tell you that other QBs have gotten to 60% with the same personnel. Those guys have had the benefit of several seasons of experience Even if it is on the bench you still get training camps and practice to home your skills. I give them Barkley had a good game but the others have been far... Far from good.

Today only made me more bullish on this.

He takes losses as hard as anybody:

And he's aware that being primarily a "running QB" isn't sustainable:

Although I gotta say, the worst hits he's taking are from the pocket because of poor blocking. He's been a pretty smart runner.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:42 PM, billsbackto81 said:

MVP? 

I'll settle for Pro Bowl selection.

Tyrod Taylor went on to Pro Bowl... Wont do wont do.

10-6  -   11-5 into the playoffs making it legit will do fine.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

One can really get the feel for that from his pressers.  He understands the intricacies of football.  He just needs more experience with both his receivers and with understanding route concepts and progressions.  

I'm not sure if he'll ever be Brady/Rodgers accurate, but I don't think he needs to be on that level of accuracy to be successful.  He has other tools that the other guys just don't have.  

Edited by Capco