McDermott’s conservative garbage

The end of the first half was so badly butchered, and we saw this same exact nonsense go on last year. Why are we not calling timeouts with almost 2 minutes left with the Dolphins having the ball inside our 10? You can not give up possessions like that. That’s losing football. 

No matter what they did there, we should’ve had so much more time than the 40 seconds we were left with after we didn’t call anything. And then of course we run the ball on the first 3 plays before finally passing, and then are completely indecisive with 5 secs to go and end up burning the timeout when we could’ve tried to run a quick play to get us a little closer. 

And then the 4th and 2 from past midfield that EVERYONE knew we weren’t going to actually snap and just try to “bait” the D into offsides. 

I just don’t understand it. Isn’t the point to try to win the game? Not just to stay close? Especially when you have a QB that was making plays. I will never blame a coach for being aggressive to try to win the game if it doesn’t work out. But giving away possessions and being conservative is not winning football. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For me anyways he seems to base these kinds of calls on how the team is playing. 

When they are executing plays effectively he doesn’t seem to mind being aggressive. But when they’re struggling to run the simplest of plays and picking up penalties non stop he seems very scared to risk anything. You can look at it two ways, when the team is struggling maybe an aggressive playcall sparks them, or maybe an aggressive playcall causes more damage. 

I didn’t like the safety challenge, or waiting to call the timeout when there’s 10 seconds on the play clock before halftime. 

Being a newish coach still I expect these kinds of mistakes. And I prefer he learns from this stuff on a lost season than say when the games mean more in a real playoff hunt. 

I don’t want to see this team this year in a playoff game. Has embarrassment written all over it 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The end of the first half was so badly butchered, and we saw this same exact nonsense go on last year. Why are we not calling timeouts with almost 2 minutes left with the Dolphins having the ball inside our 10? You can not give up possessions like that. That’s losing football. 

No matter what they did there, we should’ve had so much more time than the 40 seconds we were left with after we didn’t call anything. And then of course we run the ball on the first 3 plays before finally passing, and then are completely indecisive with 5 secs to go and end up burning the timeout when we could’ve tried to run a quick play to get us a little closer. 

And then the 4th and 2 from past midfield that EVERYONE knew we weren’t going to actually snap and just try to “bait” the D into offsides. 

I just don’t understand it. Isn’t the point to try to win the game? Not just to stay close? Especially when you have a QB that was making plays. I will never blame a coach for being aggressive to try to win the game if it doesn’t work out. But giving away possessions and being conservative is not winning football. 

DId you just call WGR?

• Haha (+1) 2

McDermott's mismanagement at the end of the 1st half cost us.

Ball in FG range on the Phins 40 with 5 seconds left and 1 timeout.

Perfect time to hand it off to Ivory up the middle for a few yards for an easier kick while getting a TO in.

Instead, waste that timeout and call a pass play.

Brilliant.

Difference between a W and an L that was in our control 

• Like (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I'd love to see evidence of any team doing this?  I can't recall seeing that happen. In the 2nd half in the last two minutes of the game, yes,, of If they were inside the Miami 10, then yes, makes sense.  But you're taking alot of risk in giving Miami a lot more time to run run plays.  They could lose 10 on an offensive holding penalty, then next play a defensive holding so automatic 1st down.  By taking timeouts, you give the team time to run more plays, more time to potentially score.

Give me examples as I can't recall a team calling a time out in the fist half when the other team is driving deep,  key here 1st half and driving deep.

22 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Bills Football....  McD always explains it's Buffalo's culture.

This is an ll around bad thread. Too much hindsight. There is literally no way any of you questioning the end of the first half decisions by Sean thought the team would make it to the 40 considering the first half. Too many penalties and struggling to move the ball. Alot of the last call there was on the OC; numerous times theough the game Josh is looking to the sidelines motioning that the call needs to come in quicker. This game isnt on the HC.

1 minute ago, Bill_with_it said:

This is an ll around bad thread. Too much hindsight. There is literally no way any of you questioning the end of the first half decisions by Sean thought the team would make it to the 40 considering the first half. Too many penalties and struggling to move the ball. Alot of the last call there was on the OC; numerous times theough the game Josh is looking to the sidelines motioning that the call needs to come in quicker. This game isnt on the HC.

No it was lousy game management.  With the Dolphins sniffing around the goal, you try and keep time on the clock as you have to have confidence that your offense can get at least 3 points.

Add to that the lousy challenge casting another time out and time to get a quick 5 yard out and have a 50 yard attempt is what teams work on.   

• Like (+1) 1

I've watched a lot of football in my life. I can tell you that every coach makes game management mistakes. Every single one.

I haven't seen anything to tell me that McDermott is worse at managing a game than other coaches.

Coaches make mistakes because there are an infinite amount of variables to consider. Fans usually look at the situations with hindsight.

• Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

McDermott is consistently awful at clock management. Scary bad. He has some extremely strong traits as a HC and an equal amount of worrisome ones. I think the jury is still out. But right now he is very bad at game management.

He IS from the Andy Reid tree

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

McDermott's mismanagement at the end of the 1st half cost us.

Ball in FG range on the Phins 40 with 5 seconds left and 1 timeout.

Perfect time to hand it off to Ivory up the middle for a few yards for an easier kick while getting a TO in.

Instead, waste that timeout and call a pass play.

Brilliant.

Difference between a W and an L that was in our control 

I'm a McD fan, but I completely agree here. The end of the 1st half was amateur hour. There are several reasons why we lost this game, but the management of the final drive of the 1st half was certainly one of the contributors. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No it was lousy game management.  With the Dolphins sniffing around the goal, you try and keep time on the clock as you have to have confidence that your offense can get at least 3 points.

Add to that the lousy challenge casting another time out and time to get a quick 5 yard out and have a 50 yard attempt is what teams work on.   

No it wasnt, we had 117 total yards in the first half, 7 offensive penalties, a touchdown reversed, and a muffed catch, a missed extra point, and an ivory fumble in the first half with the ball at the 10 yard line with 40 seconds to go. You are completely wrong and benefit from hindsight. There was nothing wrong with the end of the half other than the late playcalling by the oc. Cmon you cant be serious. At least i hope not.