Josh Allen's progress

mjt328

Just now, Nextmanup said:

Remove Allen's running highlight plays--of which there have been many--and you don't have a lot leftover.  

Here's the thing: the running will eventually be stopped by opposing defenses and it doesn't win many games in the NFL to begin with.   

This is just absurd.  Truly absurd.  I guess you didn't watch the last series, or the rest of the game for that matter.

A pick into coverage, rookie mistake.  Just misses Foster on a 60 yard pass.  Misread with Jones.  Those were on him.  KB shortarms a TD, Clay gets two hands on the ball and drops it.  But those are Allen?  Please.

He has work to do and a ways to go.  But the distance to travel is shorter every game, and much shorter than we thought.

• Like (+1) 2

This guy is the real deal. I honestly don't care if we win anymore games this year. I like the progress I am seeing, and to me, the rest of this season is all about learning experiences for Josh. He will certainly learn a lot from a loss like today's, that you have to make the plays when they are there. We should have blown that team out. I for one am very excited and I am happy he is the guy we got. 

7 minutes ago, peterpan said:

He wasn't amazing.  He missed about 8-10 passes which an amazing QB would.only miss 2-3 of those.  

His passes that weren't perfect cost us the game.  Like the miss to wide open Zay Jones in the end zone.  And the wobbly ball to Clay.  Then there was the long bomb overthrow to Foster.  That's three missed TD passes.  17 points.  His 2nd int was a bad ball too, KB was open.  There were others too. I don't expect him to make every throw but he needs.more of those throws in the future

No running game, a poor line and a receiving corps that features mainly a 2nd year guy who was terrible last year.

I feel like fans here need to watch other games.  Granted. I watch too many - but there aren’t a lot of QBs hitting nearly every pass, every game.

21 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Today was the first game all season where I believed the Bill's best chance to win this game was to put the ball in Allen's hands.  Forget the final score, today was a great day to be a Buffalo Bills fan.

Its cliche maybe but lately it feels like some point in 1986 (Maybe the opener even vs. NYJ) with Kelly. You didn't know how good he was going to be but you knew he was always going to be in the mix, seen as a threat by opponents and be able to keep you in games.

Edited by 34-78-83

3 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Allen’s success won’t START

until the running STOPS.

its fools good.

dont fall for it.

he gets the BOTD because he is a Rookie.

but his true success won’t START until the running STOPS.

The league is moving towards size and mobility at QB. Brady and Rivers and Brees remain old age exceptions to that rule, but pure pocket passing is dying, the game is shifting. As he gets better weapons his running will become less frequent, but it shouldn’t stop

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, billspro said:

Completely disagree, his running is a weapon. He should use it, especially his first three years in the league. His passing will continue to develop and surpass his running in time.

His running IS a weapon.  I agree.  But it’s not being purposefully weaponzied.  His running is more of a parachute/fail-safe device.

these are scrambled on busted plays, not designed read option or QB Sneaks.

His runs today were the result of the offense failing to execute the designed playcall of a pass.

Now we need to see the tape to figure out why the passing plays aren’t being executed?

- QB not properly identifying the defense pre-snap?

- QB getting confused by defense?

- Offensive Line breakdowns?

- Wide Receiver lack of talent?

- Combination?

these next four games I would prefer he experiment more with his arm than worries about beating the jets 16-13.

26 minutes ago, peterpan said:

He wasn't amazing.  He missed about 8-10 passes which an amazing QB would.only miss 2-3 of those.  

His passes that weren't perfect cost us the game.  Like the miss to wide open Zay Jones in the end zone.  And the wobbly ball to Clay.  Then there was the long bomb overthrow to Foster.  That's three missed TD passes.  17 points.  His 2nd int was a bad ball too, KB was open.  There were others too. I don't expect him to make every throw but he needs.more of those throws in the future

KB wasn’t open, he got undercut, beat to his spot. Zay was likely a miscommunication. He missed Foster. And hit Clay in the hands with a throw very few can make. He will be just fine 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Some thoughts on Allen today:

*  The runs are a part of his game and IMO he should keep doing it.  Do people appreciate the acceleration Allen shows as he takes off?  And he showed good sense in sliding time after time.  The truth is Allen is more likely to get killed in the pocket then running for 20 yards.  He is channeling Cam Newton in this part of his game and that's a good thing. 

*  His passing game is improving in every facet.  He's scanning the field, checking down on his reads and his throws for the most part were accurate today.  The throw to Demarco showed great touch and the 1st TD pass was a stupendous throw. 

*  He drove us down the field and put us in a position to win the game.  The throw to Clay on 4th down wasn't his best pass but it was good enough.  As Loften said it was like Clay's feet came out from under him as he seemed to get a late start coming back to the ball.  And for the record there are a number of TE's in this league who make that catch.  BTW, do people realize how far Allen threw that pass after running around eluding tacklers for 75 yards? 

*  Sure Allen made mistakes and he has a lot of things to work on.  But today was an example of a day where his play should cause Bills fans to be optimistic about the future.  Every week this guy is looking more and more like the real deal. 

1 minute ago, cgg716 said:

KB wasn’t open, he got undercut, beat to his spot. Zay was likely a miscommunication. He missed Foster. And hit Clay in the hands with a throw very few can make. He will be just fine 

That's what I thought to.  For a big body guy he sure does get muscled off the ball a lot. 

Remember in the first half on that 3rd & 17 in which Allen threw laser to KB 1 yard short of the first and he couldn't push his way past a DB that outweighed by 50 pounds? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PearlHowardman said:

Why do 7 out of 10 posters here admit that Josh Allen has a accuracy problem but then turn around and say how great Josh Allen is?  I don't get it.

Accuracy isn't something that you teach.

:doh:

actually it depends what causes the inaccuracy...if its mechanical/footwork based then yes it can be improved. Ej manuel could never improve because he flat out cant throw a pigskin...Allen has mechanical issues he doesnt know yet how to keep his mechanics together when under duress which is something you can learn with repetitions if you watch him when the pocket is clean vs when theres chaos his mechanics are completely different...baker had that already coming in its a difference..josh can certainly improve his accuracy though which is the point im making because his base mechanics are clean its just getting them correct..hes already throwing more accurate passes then beginning of the year its not always about numbers.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Today was the first game all season where I believed the Bill's best chance to win this game was to put the ball in Allen's hands.

No doubt. We should have stopped bothering to run the ball. Unless I'm forgetting something we only got one 1st down on a Shady or Ivory run. We had 415 total yards of offense and Allen accounted for 366 of them. He was literally 90% of our whole offense today, constantly just putting the team on his back and making things happen on his own.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Mojo44 said:

Wrong. Accuracy, at least from the pocket, is an absolutely trainable psycho motor skill. Do some research. Google it for crying out loud! This is one of the biggest myths about quarterbacks that accuracy, at least from the pocket, cannot be trained and improved.It most definitely can.

Allen was 18-33 with probably 5 throwaways. Couple of bad throws but I'll take it for a rook.

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Yeah, take away what was wildly successful and it wasn’t that good. Allen played a great game. 

It it was interesting though. My brother was a college QB and we almost always see things the same way. I came away today with a ton of optimism.  He did not.  Allen has a lot of development ahead of him but we should feel great about the progress. 

What many critics are not recognizing is that he is playing on an offense whose OL and running game is less than sub par. With a better running game there will be a lot less pressure on him. His play action passes would certainly be more effective with a more balanced offense. 

It's a mistake to judge his play with a snap shot lens. The more accurate way to evaluate him should be grounded on the issue of whether he is getting better.  Is his recognition, accuracy and comfort in the pocket getting better.? I would say yes.  Whether the Bills win or lose the most important thing is that Allen is getting the playing time that will accelerate his development. Because he has gone through the trials and tribulations of on field experience his off season preparation should be enhanced. I'm stoked about him!

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What many critics are not recognizing is that he is playing on an offense whose OL and running game is less than sub par. With a better running game there will be a lot less pressure on him. His play action passes would certainly be more effective with a more balanced offense. 

It's a mistake to judge his play with a snap shot lens. The more accurate way to evaluate him should be grounded on the issue of whether he is getting better.  Is his recognition, accuracy and comfort in the pocket getting better.? I would say yes.  Whether the Bills win or lose the most important thing is that Allen is getting the playing time that will accelerate his development. Because he has gone through the trials and tribulations of on field experience his off season preparation should be enhanced. I'm stoked about him!

Oh, I agree with you. It gives me pause though that my brother’s much more refined eye feels differently. I called him as soon as the game ended thinking that we would be sharing the same optimism. He sees things that I don’t. I see the plays that he makes and he see the ones that he misses. I’m certainly encouraged, just thought it was interesting.

The kid took a step in the right direction throwing the ball today. 171 in the 2nd half. Yes he left some plays out there, but we all pretty much knew his season was going to have a lot of ups and downs. He was/is one of the rawest prospects to be drafted where he was. But also had an upside that you don't see very often. I feel like he is getting more comfortable as a passer. I'd like to see him take the 5-7 yard pass play rather than tuck it and run. But I also understand that rookie qb's trust their legs more than their eyes. Improvement is good. Already excited to see him next season, hopefully with an improved OL and some proper skill players.

After yesterday...for the first time it looked like we hit on this guy. He has shown flashes before, but he dominated this game. And he did it with very limited and underwhelming offensive support.

A couple bag throws:

- threw behind zay jones who was wide open in the end zone for a TD

- just overthrew Foster deep for a TD 

- Missed Foster on the sideline by leading him a bit too much

- The INT on Kelvin Benjamin throw 

Two should have been TDs and those hurt. The INT was a terribly lazy route and a bad throw right to the DB. 

For a guy with less than half a season of starts under his belt, and who is a project QB, man did he look impressive both running and throwing. Both TDs to Zay were darts, one of which he extended the play with his legs but still kept his eyes up the field to hit him. Pass on the final drive to Foster was his second look and an absolute laser through defenders. 

Most of his runs did not seem like he bailed too early which was real good to see. We will see what the All 22 shows but man did he have a heck of a day. And if Clay catches his underthrown ball (I am in the camp of, if it touches your hands you need to catch it) the narrative is only how amazing he played. Real good game.

Color me encouraged, cant wait for this final month to see how he grows. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, peterpan said:

Your take on these four throws is pessimistic and the "worst case" interpretation of each.   

Zay in the endzone- Zay was supposed to sit in the soft spot of the zone.  He didn't.  Regardless of fault, it was a misunderstanding, not a miss. It happens. 

Wobbly ball to Clay- it was catchable.  Throw could have been better, but it was Clay that dropped the ball.  

The deep pall- they are low percentage throws for a reason.  Hard to pin that on a QB

Interception- it happens.  He needs more touch on the ball for sure.  But he is a rookie, that happens.  

On 12/2/2018 at 5:07 PM, Bangarang said:

He’s a mixed bag still. It will be much easier to get a good feel for his progress once we get some more weapons around him and strengthen the o-line

Yes, because improving with less weapons doesnt say as much as improving with more weapons???

I think I'm more impressed by a QB who is able to be productive with less.  Now as far as team developement goes we need more weapons to win Championships.

Now if what you mean is in order for you to see the stats increase he needs more weapons then I get it.  But stats dont win games.

11 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Yes, because improving with less weapons doesnt say as much as improving with more weapons???

I think I'm more impressed by a QB who is able to be productive with less.  Now as far as team developement goes we need more weapons to win Championships.

Now if what you mean is in order for you to see the stats increase he needs more weapons then I get it.  But stats dont win games.

Do you find it easy to see how Allen is progressing with his ability to read defenses or see the field when he’s either running for his life because the o-line can’t pass block or his receivers aren’t getting separation? Better players and more time in the pocket allows us to see his progression in critical areas. We won’t get to see that with what we currently have.