Josh Allen's progress

mjt328

2 hours ago, vincec said:

If they had Jerry Rice and Randy Moss then he might have even completed more than 50% of his passes today.

Surely, but watching other games today I couldn’t help but be struck at the number of teams who have several guys who make those.

Some may become all time greats like Moss and Rice someday, others are just good NFL quality WR and TE

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Oh, there’s Doug Baldwin making a great catch that goes down in the books as a completion, 50 yards and a TD for Russell Wilson.   

Lets put that play into the 2018 Josh Allen translator - Beep, Boop, Beep... Result: Incomplete Pass. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

I really do believe that even today we saw more good things from Allen then bad things.  Some folks have compared this game to the GB game.  But I don't see it.  Allen was much more composed in the pocket and while his 2 INT's were bad they were no where near as bad as the picks he had against the Packers.

And when the Packers game ended I don't recall a half dozen big plays/TD plays being left on the field by our WR's & TE's.  Unlike in GB, Allen was getting the ball to his play makers.  the problem is they wern't making any plays.

I'd put this game on the negative side of the ledger and just chalk it up to being part of the learning experience.  Not much help from his teammates today, but he was clearly off. 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Oh, there’s Doug Baldwin making a great catch that goes down in the books as a completion, 50 yards and a TD for Russell Wilson.   

Lets put that play into the 2018 Josh Allen translator - Beep, Boop, Beep... Result: Incomplete Pass. 

With the default repsonse “the receiver dropped it BUT Allen should have made a better pass” AKA Allen needs to lodge it in between a couple of ribs and make it stick because our wr’s suck, but let’s blame the qb..... ?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'd put this game on the negative side of the ledger and just chalk it up to being part of the learning experience.  Not much help from his teammates today, but he was clearly off. 

I would say his game was bi-polar today which is what you see a lot from rookie QB's.  On the one hand he had some poor throws and the INT's were bad throws & decisions.  But on the other hand he made some terrific throws and he showed decent pocket awareness & good escapability.

And while I may be beating a dead horse to death here I think the issues with his WR's & TE's go way beyond not helping him out today.  The impact on a game of leaving a couple of TD's on the field and fumbling at the Pats 5 yard line were huge.  Just imagine the confidence & momentum that were squandered here.  how is this game different if Foster snags that pass for an 82 yard TD?  Allen had an average game IMO yet with a little help from his WR's & TE's the Bills may have won this game and Allen might have busted through 300 yards and had 2 - 3 TD passes.  I know it's coulda/woulda/shoulda but I'm watching all these other NFL games where TE's & WR's routinely make the plays that the Bill's guys didn't. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I would say his game was bi-polar today which is what you see a lot from rookie QB's.  On the one hand he had some poor throws and the INT's were bad throws & decisions.  But on the other hand he made some terrific throws and he showed decent pocket awareness & good escapability.

And while I may be beating a dead horse to death here I think the issues with his WR's & TE's go way beyond not helping him out today.  The impact on a game of leaving a couple of TD's on the field and fumbling at the Pats 5 yard line were huge.  Just imagine the confidence & momentum that were squandered here.  how is this game different if Foster snags that pass for an 82 yard TD?  Allen had an average game IMO yet with a little help from his WR's & TE's the Bills may have won this game and Allen might have busted through 300 yards and had 2 - 3 TD passes.  I know it's coulda/woulda/shoulda but I'm watching all these other NFL games where TE's & WR's routinely make the plays that the Bill's guys didn't. 

This x 1000

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

One thing he does that I do not like is passing up easier throws that are available to him on early downs where he instead holds the ball looking for a big play.  He has got to stop that in order to become a higher percentage QB who sustains drives. 

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

With the default repsonse “the receiver dropped it BUT Allen should have made a better pass” AKA Allen needs to lodge it in between a couple of ribs and make it stick because our wr’s suck, but let’s blame the qb..... ?

Just saw KB drop a goal line pass from Boy Wonder Mahomes that hit him in the hands and the left side of his numbers.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

One thing he does that I do not like is passing up easier throws that are available to him on early downs where he instead holds the ball looking for a big play.  He has got to stop that in order to become a higher percentage QB who sustains drives. 

True, Dat.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Makes you wonder about the coaching.  

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That is definitely something he needs to work on in the offseason. If the defence is giving you short passes and you don’t take them you will have a short career in this league. Probably the number 1 thing Allen needs to develop in order to become a franchise QB. You have to have patience and know when to take your shots in this league.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with you with one caveat - he doesn't have the check down players that can make that a profitable play over the course of a game.  But yea, Arian's was actually pretty funny talking about how Allen was being hard headed in passing up the dump offs and trying to force it downfield.  He kept comparing Allen's stubbornness with Andrew Luck's when he first entered the league.  

But I think this is a relatively easy fix.  Allen is a smart guy and the Bill's staff will walk him through EVERY pass play this season and show him how many times he could have dumped it off for 5 yards on 1st or 2nd down and had a much easier 3rd down conversions to make.  The other thing is we need to upgrade the TE & RB positions so that the dump offs can be big plays with the right guys getting the ball.  Oh what I wouldn't give for a Komarra or McCaffrey type RB! 

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just saw KB drop a goal line pass from Boy Wonder Mahomes that hit him in the hands and the left side of his numbers.

True, Dat.

Luckily for Mahomes, that TD catch by Robinson makes up for it.  Kelce also had a great catch on their previous TD drive to allow them to get 7, instead of settling for a FG. 

24 minutes ago, billspro said:

That is definitely something he needs to work on in the offseason. If the defence is giving you short passes and you don’t take them you will have a short career in this league. Probably the number 1 thing Allen needs to develop in order to become a franchise QB. You have to have patience and know when to take your shots in this league.

I don't mind that he pushes the ball down the field. His completion percentage will suffer for it but he throws accurately enough that it opens up the whole field. On 3rd and long never once have I expected him to throw it short of the sticks. That's his style for better and worse. We need receivers that can track the ball, separate, and make normal catch adjustments. That will be much more important to our offense progressing than Allen learning to throw 3 yard passes. Having any kind of run game at all will open things up downfield too. Allen's skill set can win in this league but we're not even close to having the right personnel around him to make it work.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't mind that he pushes the ball down the field. His completion percentage will suffer for it but he throws accurately enough that it opens up the whole field. On 3rd and long never once have I expected him to throw it short of the sticks. That's his style for better and worse. We need receivers that can track the ball, separate, and make normal catch adjustments. That will be much more important to our offense progressing than Allen learning to throw 3 yard passes. Having any kind of run game at all will open things up downfield too. Allen's skill set can win in this league but we're not even close to having the right personnel around him to make it work.

if his receivers just came through on some of the dimes he dropped we could have won  The kid gives guys a shot to make big plays, Bills need to go out and get the guys to make those plays

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

if his receivers just came through on some of the dimes he dropped we could have won  The kid gives guys a shot to make big plays, Bills need to go out and get the guys to make those plays

Right it's just not what we're used to seeing. His arm and mobility allow him to make plays only a couple people in the league can make. Why are we going to teach him to run a short yardage checkdown offense? Let him play his game. Just get some receivers that have a clue and build around his skill set.

10 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

That's how I saw today's game to.  In spite of Allen running hot & cold and having some poor throws he put the ball in or near the hands of his play makers and they didn't make plays.  Saying this is not letting Allen off the hook for his poor throws.  But damn his stats simply don't reflect all the good throws he makes that end up on the turf because his guys are not making plays. 

The Allen Bunker Brigade is on the scene acting as if he has no room for growth and improvement in a number of aspects. It's all on the receiving corps. 

That's not fair 26CornerBlitz.  There have been plenty of posts from the Allen Bunker Brigade indicating that Allen needs to improve his game and that he made some bad throws today.  But when certain posters focus only on those bad throws to claim he's a bust while ignoring the poor WR & TE play what do you expect?

I think the Allen Bunker Brigade has a lot more balanced take on the rookie QB then the Hate Allen Army!  We fully acknowledge what he's doing poorly while pointing out the good stuff.  All I know is that when I watch the NFL's better QB's in action there are times when I think I wish Allen was that smooth or I wish Allen would make that kind of a decision or had that exquisite touch on his passes.  But I find that it's not all that often that I feel this way.  In contrast I'm constantly thinking "why can't our WR's & TE's get open like that" or "why can't our skill players make tough catches look routine" or "why can't our RB's take that dump off pass and turn a 5 yard gain into a 15 yard gain"?

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

That's not fair 26CornerBlitz.  There have been plenty of posts from the Allen Bunker Brigade indicating that Allen needs to improve his game and that he made some bad throws today.  But when certain posters focus only on those bad throws to claim he's a bust while ignoring the poor WR & TE play what do you expect?

I think the Allen Bunker Brigade has a lot more balanced take on the rookie QB then the Hate Allen Army!  We fully acknowledge what he's doing poorly while pointing out the good stuff.  All I know is that when I watch the NFL's better QB's in action there are times when I think I wish Allen was that smooth or I wish Allen would make that kind of a decision or had that exquisite touch on his passes.  But I find that it's not all that often that I feel this way.  In contrast I'm constantly thinking "why can't our WR's & TE's get open like that" or "why can't our skill players make tough catches look routine" or "why can't our RB's take that dump off pass and turn a 5 yard gain into a 15 yard gain"?

Both sides are over the top. It is fair when people try to excuse away Allen's obvious need for improvement regarless of how talented as he is. The skill players aren't that good and we already know that.  Too many act as if they are the only problem and try to absolve Allen of blame when he clearly has room to grow and improve.  Then we have these kind of threads.