Josh Allen's progress

mjt328

22 hours ago, billsfan5121 said:

It really doesn’t sound right, but in a way I can see how Allen’s velocity and ball placement could cause issues, resulting in more drops.  I’m not talking about uncatchable passes, but those ones that are slightly off but would still constitute as a drop, whereas a Brees type of qb may have put it in the perfect spot 

Alternatively Anderson, Barkley & Peterman threw a LOT of check down passes that aren't exactly a challenge to catch.  Of course these check down throws to mediocre  play makers often result in gains of 6 yards on 3rd & 9. 

Remember a check down pass to Gurlly, Kemora or McCaffrey works because they are elite level play makers out of the backfield.  The Bills aren't blessed with that level of talent. 

On 12/11/2018 at 1:23 PM, jrober38 said:

I'll lay it out:

The Bills aren't winning, his passing stats are the worst in the league among starting QBs, and he throws a TD once every 45.4 pass attempts. 

I'll lay it out:

He probably has the worst offensive supporting cast in the NFL and they still compete every week with him at QB.  It is also convenient that you ignored his rushing TDs.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'll lay it out:

The Bills aren't winning, his passing stats are the worst in the league among starting QBs, and he throws a TD once every 45.4 pass attempts. 

You’ve laid it out 67 times already.  

Give it a rest.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'll lay it out:

That means he needs an offensive line and a stronger emphases on receivers and tight-ends.  Along with younger and healthier running backs.  Laying it out there is that we are going to build up through undrafted free agents and the draft.  Maximizing the values of practice squad players for making trades in draft capital or in deciding whether or not they could be starters.  

1 hour ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

That means he needs an offensive line and a stronger emphases on receivers and tight-ends.  Along with younger and healthier running backs.  Laying it out there is that we are going to build up through undrafted free agents and the draft.  Maximizing the values of practice squad players for making trades in draft capital or in deciding whether or not they could be starters.  

Sure.

This has nothing to do with the question I was answering though, which was why is the National Media not paying attention to Allen.

I was just answering why his rushing yards aren't a major story. 

On 12/2/2018 at 5:24 PM, Binghamton Beast said:

Just stop.

The kid is the closest thing we have seen to John Elway since Elway was young.

His true success will include his running ability.

Could you imagine him playing behind a line like the Saints have? His numbers would be off the charts and he would be a top 10 fantasy football pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/10/2018 at 1:02 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

On 12/10/2018 at 1:57 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

12-12: Matt Waldman with Schopp & the Bulldog 21:48

Next on @WGR550: @MattWaldman. #Bills

Waldman on Allen's rookie year - I think it's been decent considering the o-line and surrounding talent. #Bills

Waldman on Allen - We still see issues crop up at times. You drool over the arm strength and his ability to throw it 50-60 yards down the field. You're seeing a lot of highs, and still some lows. #Bills

Waldman - I think there are signs of him being able to read safeties pre-snap. Where I worry about him is handling pressure, staying in the pocket, and throwing with rhythm & tempo. #Bills

Waldman on Allen - The #Bills are going to need him to make these mature decisions and right plays. Yes he makes exceptional plays, but it's that skill to find the easy plays in difficult situations that he has yet to show.

Waldman on Robert Foster - I think what you have is something between contributor and starter. The physical tools are there. #Bills

Waldman on Zay Jones - I think what you have is what you're going to get. He's not going to ever get behind a defense unless Allen goes off script. #Bills

Waldman - Need a Julio Jones, Mike Evans type option to come up with Allen. There's a lot of options in this draft class. #Bills

Waldman - You got a hell of a player in Tremaine Edmunds. Can't wait to see how the #Bills continue to grow.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I wonder if some of Allen's problems against the Jets were due to fatigue. I'm not talking rookie wall stuff, but rather he has to be on his toes for a full 60 minutes at a much higher level both physically and especially mentally then what he's used to. Maybe that's starting to wear him down a bit as the season progresses. All part of learning how to be an NFL QB.

• Like (+1) 1

It's so obvious he put in time in the film room while he was off. His feel for the rush is night and day. Out of all those throws I detailed vs. Jets there was only one where he took off prematurely. Josh deserves all the credit for that. Remember the Packers game? This is a different player. We can talk about accuracy all we want, but one of the reasons he has the opportunity to throw more now is because of his improved feel and understanding of the rush and wr routes, and making plays when things break down to keep us on the field longer.  

• Like (+1) 3

On 12/5/2018 at 6:16 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's a dynamic playmaker with great physical skills who flashes greatness, but he still has many things to work on as expected.  His progression has been impressive since he returned from injury and I'm looking forward to him continuing to ascend and play with a much better OL surrounded by a more dangerous arsenal of weapons.  I couldn't believe so many people were clamoring for Matt Barkley to play over Allen when it was obvious he needs real live game experience to speed up his learning curve for '19 and beyond. 

9 minutes ago, VW82 said:

It's so obvious he put in time in the film room while he was off. His feel for the rush is night and day. Out of all those throws I detailed vs. Jets there was only one where he took off prematurely. Josh deserves all the credit for that. Remember the Packers game? This is a different player. We can talk about accuracy all we want, but one of the reasons he has the opportunity to throw more now is because of his improved feel and understanding of the rush and wr routes, and making plays when things break down to keep us on the field longer.  

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

8 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I believe the injury was ultimately a blessing. Things were spiraling out of control, and it allowed him to regroup and things to slow down. I wouldn’t be shocked if he might have been able to come back before the bye, but I’m glad he didn’t. Wise move, if true. Keep showing progress, and I’ll stay encouraged! 

Another start for rookie QB Josh Allen, another loss in the books for the Bills. While the results weren’t in their favor, every game that Allen gets under his belt, the better the future looks. Allen finished the Week 14 matchup 18-for-36 for 206 yards, one rushing touchdown, and two interceptions, but he seemed to have a good grasp of how the Jets were defending him. 

As I wrote in my weekly breakdown for The Athletic Buffalo, the Jets’ defense played a chippy game. Any time they were near Allen, they attempted to send him to the New Era Field turf. But in true Allen fashion, he led by example. He competed.

That’s been the theme since his return to the lineup. He has taken an offense that is pretty much devoid of top-tier talent and put it on his back. So it is no surprise that they have fought with him and have taken on his scrappy style of play. 

Join us in the film room to dive into his tape on some of his good and bad plays.

• Like (+1) 1

That is a hell of a player to try and emulate. I've never seen this documentary, but Kobe is notorious for being possibly the hardest worker in the NBA over the course of his career. 

Don't !@#$ this up McBeane, get some real talent around Allen and let's see this man shine. 

• Like (+1) 1