Josh Allen's progress

mjt328

33 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

I see very little progress: you can't win in this league throwing 52 % completions.  It just won't happen.

He's one of the LOWEST rated QB's in the league.

Are you people watching these games?

Yesterday, I saw drop after drop after drop.  1st half the stat of "3 dropped passes" was put up on the screen and in the 2nd half Jones had that blatant and unacceptable drop on a nicely thrown ball from Allen.

That's AT LEAST 4 blatant drops.  If those WRs catch those passes he's over 60% as a passer in the Jets game.  The exact same thing happened in Miami last week, where he ALSO would have been over 60% as a passer if our WRs/TEs could catch the damn ball.  These aren't even crazy, acrobatic catches.  Most of these are routine passes our guys just drop.

But yeah, let's look at his statistics and see that his completion % is below 50% and he is therefore inaccurate, but ignore all those drops along with the FACT that Allen has the highest depth of target in the NFL at 11.02 yards and he's been climbing the rungs of the "average length of completions" ladder in the NFL since he started the season, where he's now 7th in the NFL where he was 16th early this season, which means early this season he was missing a lot of those deep passes, but over the season he's been hitting a lot more of them.

He's getting better.  You just have to actually WATCH him play!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Are you people watching these games?

Yesterday, I saw drop after drop after drop.  1st half the stat of "3 dropped passes" was put up on the screen and in the 2nd half Jones had that blatant and unacceptable drop on a nicely thrown ball from Allen.

That's AT LEAST 4 blatant drops.  If those WRs catch those passes he's over 60% as a passer in the Jets game.  The exact same thing happened in Miami last week, where he ALSO would have been over 60% as a passer if our WRs/TEs could catch the damn ball.  These aren't even crazy, acrobatic catches.  Most of these are routine passes our guys just drop.

But yeah, let's look at his statistics and see that his completion % is below 50% and he is therefore inaccurate, but ignore all those drops along with the FACT that Allen has the highest depth of target in the NFL at 11.02 yards and he's been climbing the rungs of the "average length of completions" ladder in the NFL since he started the season, where he's now 7th in the NFL where he was 16th early this season, which means early this season he was missing a lot of those deep passes, but over the season he's been hitting a lot more of them.

He's getting better.  You just have to actually WATCH him play!

I don't know how you can watch him play and not think he is making significant progress. 

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, PittsforDave said:

Have the Bills ever had those?

EJ Manuel isn't even close to whiffing the ball park of Allen.

If you think they are at a similar level than one another then you are just flat out wrong.  Allen next year will take a big leap from where he is right now in which right now he is already pretty much the whole offense, Manuel never was no such thing.

There are certain throws an NFL quarterback needs to make, in order to be successful.

Early in the season, Josh Allen was making those throws occasionally.  Rare flashes that happened maybe 1-2 times per game.

Over the last 3 weeks, Allen has been making those throws frequently.  We are seeing those nice passes 5-10 times per game.

The key now, is getting Allen to make those throws more consistently.  Cut down on the handful of inaccurate misses.  Learn when to throw the ball away, instead of heaving a terrible pass into traffic.  Identify the check-downs, and don't always go for the big play.

For all the WHINERS about Allen's completion percentage...  He went 18-36 on Sunday (50 percent).  If Clay and Jones don't drop those easy catches, he's up to 55 percent.  Two more completions, and he's already above 61 percent.  THAT'S IT. 

Upgrade his O-Line protection in the offseason, so he's not rushing and scrambling on every play.  With better blocking from the front-five, Daboll can also send out the RBs and TEs for easy check-down passes (which he can't do now, because they need to help block).

Edited by mjt328
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

EJ Manuel isn't even close to whiffing the ball park of Allen.

If you think they are at a similar level than one another then you are just flat out wrong.  Allen next year will take a big leap from where he is right now in which right now he is already pretty much the whole offense, Manuel never was no such thing.

For the sake of the team, he better take a huge leap next year. I see a lot of common comparisons between EJ and Josh. 

He needs to continue to improve, next year we will have our answer. 

Allen looks like a rookie that has tremendous skill and should give fans confidence that he could succeed at a high level.  Given what he has to work with, his lower completion percentage doesn't bother me at all yet. I really don't see his accuracy to be an issue.  I enjoy watching him play, we should feel optimistic that with quality players around(in front) of him, he could be a very good QB. His arm is amazing.

2 minutes ago, PittsforDave said:

For the sake of the team, he better take a huge leap next year. I see a lot of common comparisons between EJ and Josh. 

Nothing I've seen with Allen has made me even think of EJ for a second.

9 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I don’t know how anyone at this point can be certain that he is our franchise QB for the next decade+.  

I think he has a 50/50 chance of becoming the teams next franchise QB or being off the team by the end of his rookie contract. 

This is all being rushed too soon.  Way too early to tell simply because the NFL Defensive Coordiantors still haven’t had their chance to counter move yet.

I said the same thing with Tyrod.

Tyrod made his move in Season 1 and showed the league his game.  Then Defensive Coordiantors had a full off season to work on a response for Season 2.  Where Taylor failed is he never had a response to the Defensive Coordinators counter move.

Allen will finish this season and put his game on tape.  Then next season the defense coordinators will have their say and it will be up to Allen to have a counter move.

then we will have a better idea

18 minutes ago, PittsforDave said:

josh is making runs and throws ej could only dream about

• Like (+1) 1

Why is daboll not letting Allen throw 40 times a game? The bills were not making the playoffs this year. There were drives yesterday where the bills ran on 1st and 2nd down. WHY?! We know what we have in ivory and Mccoy. Let allen throw all day and let this o line learn how to pass protect. Why are they trying to force the run? 

2 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

This is all being rushed too soon.  Way too early to tell simply because the NFL Defensive Coordiantors still haven’t had their chance to counter move yet.

I said the same thing with Tyrod.

Tyrod made his move in Season 1 and showed the league his game.  Then Defensive Coordiantors had a full off season to work on a response for Season 2.  Where Taylor failed is he never had a response to the Defensive Coordinators counter move.

Allen will finish this season and put his game on tape.  Then next season the defense coordinators will have their say and it will be up to Allen to have a counter move.

then we will have a better idea

It usually doesn't take a full season for Defensive Coordinators to adjust.

Tyrod Taylor had plenty of bad games with us in that first year. 

He never really got better.  He never really got worse.  He was just up-and-down, depending on how effective defenses were at keeping him in the pocket.

One strategy I saw the Jets using yesterday (mostly in the second half) was using a spy, but then sending him on a delayed blitz.  It seemed that Allen was less willing to take off with defenders running at him, as opposed to standing flat-footed a few yards away.  It will be interesting to see if the Lions employ a similar tactic.

No doubt, Allen will eventually need to be able to beat teams with his arm.