Josh Allen's progress

mjt328

By traditional measures (ex "passer rating"), Josh Allen still has a long way to go, but he certainly passes the eye test.  His athleticism can not be overstated.  While we know that we can't lean on him to rush for 100 yards per game indefinitely, the degree of difficulty that it puts on the defense to defend is undeniable.  I know that ESPN's proprietary "QBR" metric, which emphasizes clutch stats and downplays "garbage time", is polarizing. It also takes rushing yards into account.  I think in Allen's case, it paints a better complete picture of his performance as a quarterback and not just as a passer.  According to this assessment, he was the 4th best quarterback this week:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/type/player-week

Thoughts?

Edited by butch rolle
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Subscription required for full access:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Last week, Josh Allen returned from injury to help the Bills take down the Jaguars. He rushed for nearly 100 yards and made huge plays with his arm.

When we sat down with former University at Buffalo quarterback Joe Licata to break down the game in detail, he pointed out a few plays that separate rookie quarterbacks from the great ones. Of course, it’s not fair to expect Allen to be Tom Brady or Drew Brees in his first season, but the plays were used to demonstrate what Allen should be striving for.

This week, Allen and the Bills lost to the Dolphins, but the rookie showed even more special potential as a runner and a passer. As we dove into 15 plays that tell the story of Allen’s performance, there are a handful of throws that Brady and Brees can’t make. You’re seeing the reasons the Bills moved up to draft Allen No. 7 overall. He makes throws few people on the planet can make.

“We’re watching a young man grow and develop right in front of our eyes,” Bills coach Sean McDermott said.

With the help of Licata, let’s take a look at the film.

Orchard Park, NY - Josh Allen's scrambles are becoming one of the best weapons for the Bills offense. 

There are general rules and guidelines for receivers during a scramble drill, but there's one thing they can count on with Allen. 

It never hurts to go deep. 

"He wants that deep ball. That's really what he's looking for," Isaiah McKenzie said. "That's what I like about him. He's always looking deep. So, if you go deep, you have a chance."

On 12/5/2018 at 6:07 PM, John from Riverside said:

Are you coming around on Allen corner.....

He's a dynamic playmaker with great physical skills who flashes greatness, but he still has many things to work on as expected.  His progression has been impressive since he returned from injury and I'm looking forward to him continuing to ascend and play with a much better OL surrounded by a more dangerous arsenal of weapons.  I couldn't believe so many people were clamoring for Matt Barkley to play over Allen when it was obvious he needs real live game experience to speed up his learning curve for '19 and beyond. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's a dynamic playmaker with great physical skills who flashes greatness, but he still has many things to work on as expected.  His progression has been impressive since he returned from injury and I'm looking forward to him continuing to ascend and play with a much better OL surrounded by a more dangerous arsenal of weapons.  I couldn't believe so many people wer clamoring for Matt Barkley to play over Allen when it was obvious he needs real live game experience to speed up his learning curve for '19 and beyond. 

Ultimately I feel it would have been better for Allen to start around this time of the year to let him aclimate instead of starting the year with a vet in front of him till we were out of the playoffs.....

but it doesnt matter now...the train has left the station

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/4/2018 at 10:46 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Subscription Required for Full Access:

Of the five quarterbacks selected in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft, Josh Allen was seen as the biggest project. Unlike many of his fellow draftees, Allen didn’t play Power Five competition regularly and when he did, he didn’t play well. In three games versus Power Five schools, Allen registered one touchdown and eight interceptions and a 50 percent completion rate.

When it came to the nuances of the QB position, Allen had a long way to go, but there were times in college where his athleticism or rocket arm took over. In the 21-17 loss to the Dolphins, that version of Allen rose up, this time against NFL level competition. Allen accounted for 88 percent of the Bills offense, a unit that ranks 31st in Football Outsiders DVOA efficiency metric.

Allen’s 54.5 percent completion rate in the Miami game is not going to win over box score scouts, but the numbers don’t reflect the growth that people who watched his college film and the game on Sunday have seen.

Early in the game, there were several opportunities for Allen to simply take what the defense gave him, but for whatever reason, he chose to either scramble or throw it away. This is a common problem with Allen because he does look to get chunk plays by trusting his arm.

On 2nd and 12 late in the first quarter, offensive coordinator Brian Daboll dials up a basic concept known as a ‘Shallow cross.’ It’s a concept Allen struggled with the first half of the season and one that I covered in early October. The down and distance should put Allen in the mindset that he needs to get the ball out to either WR Zay Jones or TE Charles Clay to at least set up a manageable 3rd down. Clay is running a hook route right over the ball and Jones is running the crossing route. Allen is reading the linebacker level. If they gain depth with the hook route, then the cross by Jones is wide open. That is exactly what happens, but Allen fails to get rid of it. He does face pressure as Jeremiah Sirles gets driven into his lap, but the rookie QB needed to do one of two things. Either get rid of it as soon as he hits the top of his drop or keep his base, slide to his right and get it to Jones. A lot of Allen’s issues can be traced back to how he transfers his weight when manipulating the pocket or during a throw. You can see him take a slight step to his left as his back foot hit, so now he is not in a position to smoothly slide or deliver an accurate ball. He is nearly forced to escape the pocket, but no harm done with the nine-yard gain.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/5/2018 at 6:32 PM, John from Riverside said:

Ultimately I feel it would have been better for Allen to start around this time of the year to let him aclimate instead of starting the year with a vet in front of him till we were out of the playoffs.....

but it doesnt matter now...the train has left the station

i think starting early and then having the injury was kind of like he had a mini off season.  he got a chance to scrutinize his play and make some improvements.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Anyone else notice that great blocking by Benjamin on the Allen keeper?  If KB even acts like he's trying to block Allen could have had a bunch more yards.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Look at KB lazy ass block on that play.....Allen could have had more yards

Great minds...

Edited by eball