Josh Allen's progress

mjt328

This was a heartbreaking loss.  Especially against a division rival.

But we all need to keep in mind, this season was all about developing Josh Allen.  And in my opinion, the last two weeks have been extremely encouraging from that perspective.

Yes.  He is still doing the majority of damage with his legs.  The accuracy and communication with his receivers is still a work in progress.

But the strides and improvements in his passing have been very apparent, especially since coming back from injury.

Compare what we were seeing during the first month of the season, versus what we are seeing now.  It's clear that Allen is starting to scan the field quicker, and finding open receivers down the field.  That hesitation in the pocket has decreased by a split-second or two.  The kind of throws that were coming only 1-2 times per game, are now coming 5-6 times per game.  He's also learning how to navigate his way out of the pass rush and get back into throwing position, where earlier in the season he was always drifting backwards and scrambling prematurely.

I think fans are also starting to understand why the Bills front office (along with many other teams) saw Allen as a Top-10 prospect.  He's got the strength of Ben Roethlisberger when avoiding sacks, combined with the speed of the NFL's best scrambling quarterbacks, along with one of the strongest arms in the league.  If he can even become above-average as a passer (and we put a decent offense around him), teams are going to have a really tough time defending him.

• Like (+1) 17
  • Thank you (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The accuracy and communication with his receivers is still a work in progress.

Why do 7 out of 10 posters here admit that Josh Allen has a accuracy problem but then turn around and say how great Josh Allen is?  I don't get it.

Accuracy isn't something that you teach.

:doh:

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He’s a mixed bag still. It will be much easier to get a good feel for his progress once we get some more weapons around him and strengthen the o-line

A mixed bag ?  

Like a Playmaking bag that runs and throws ? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Allen’s success won’t START

until the running STOPS.

its fools good.

dont fall for it.

he gets the BOTD because he is a Rookie.

but his true success won’t START until the running STOPS.

The running is always going to be part of his game.  Which is fine. 

Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson are both stars who have won Super Bowls, and rely heavily on their legs/mobility.

The key for Josh Allen will be knowing WHEN to take off, and WHEN to scramble around the pocket to evade pressure, but still keep the passing play alive.

Quarterbacks who run prematurely (and fail to develop in-pocket skills) are the ones that eventually struggle.  See Robert Griffin III, Vince Young, etc.

My point was that Allen is absolutely showing progress in this area.

He's got a ways to go.  But we are seeing improvement.

• Like (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Allen’s success won’t START

until the running STOPS.

its fools good.

dont fall for it.

he gets the BOTD because he is a Rookie.

but his true success won’t START until the running STOPS.

Just stop.

The kid is the closest thing we have seen to John Elway since Elway was young.

His true success will include his running ability.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Honestly he was most dominant player on field today. He will get better future is bright.

He has accuracy issue here and there more so when under pressure but a lot of guys do.

No QB is perfect unless we are comparing them all to tom brady.

Even Aaron Rodgers is having a ***** season

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

So you’re not a fan of the team unless you believe he’s going to be great?

I didn't mean that.  It just seems like fans either don't like McDermott or Beane, or their guy Rosen wasn't selected, or they are buying into the predraft hype that Allen's inaccuracy made him a 3rd round + pick.  These last 2 games were not perfect by any means, but it seems clear to me anyway that Josh Allen is going to be a stud.  I bet Jag fans would rather have Allen than Bottles and Fin fans would rather have Allen than Tannehill.  Just my opinion on the post.