So our bust qb was responsible for nearly 400 yards of offense

6 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

Why did the two QB under Coach Bohl, who were before Allen have signifigantly higher completion pcts?

They had a better line and better team and played in a division lower. They also had won 3 national championships in a  row. I don't feel Bohl and his coaches had much to do with Wentz and his development. I do believe he was a freshman when they came to Wyoming. Maybe a sophomore. And Allen was a natural, and they couldn't even teach him proper footwork. Allen is a very quick study. I do believe he was at the Manning academy twice. I do believe you have to be invited to it. Watch his second stint in the Senior Bowl. He made every pass asked of him. I hate the Wyoming OC, he had Allen handing off his last year because all of his receivers graduated. You don't ask a top ten qb pick to hand the ball off when he has an arm like that. It was sickening to watch. But they get the credit for Wentz and Allen. Look at Wyomings offensive stats the 5 years they have been at Wyoming. They are near the bottom of FBS stats because they run the ball on 1st and 2nd down regardless. No *****.

8 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

He did everything he could do for the win. 

Last week we win and his stats suck so he needs to do better. 

This game we lose and he has decent stats but he didn’t win the game cause clay can’t catch a wide open ball? 

Exactly!

didn't you know its Allen's fault for not catching the ball that hit Clay in the hands while no one was on him.

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

I think this topic is going no where but down.

why

14 minutes ago, Success said:

There was a great article online from an ex coach who watched Allen his whole college career.  Allen’s college accuracy had a lot to do with the offense they ran, at least in his opinion.  They didn’t have the kind of athleticism and blocking that you need for screens and the short pass game, so they leaned a lot in Allen’s big arm and the long game.  

I don’t see this wild inaccuracy that many point to.  He was 18-33 after a 1-6 start, and I practically lost track of the drops.  Both of his final passes should have been catches, and he had another that was a Hail Mary.  The Foster bomb was a thing if beauty that was just a foot too long.

Did you watch the game tonight?  Both Rivers and Ben had their share of wild ones.  Every QB does, but Allen’s are more scrutinized because they reinforce a fear that fans here had on draft day, based mainly in scouting reports.

Success,  I lived it. I wished they would have built a part of the offense around Allen. But they tried to fit a square peg in a round hole. Didn't even try to adjust to his arm talent. It is amazing scouts stayed with him. But they saw what was happening I guess. I wished I could have seen that article. Who was the coach? Thanks.

43 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

No, I am a Josh Allen fan. I live in Laramie Wyoming and used to be a Raiders fan for 40 years. I was just busting your chops. I have only read about Tyrod. But I like most Bills fans.  Especially Bills Mafia. They are a lot like Wyoming fans, not a lot to cheer about. So I am now a Bills fan. I don't jump teams, I am just tired of the Raiders antics. Plus I like underdogs, so it is a good fit.

Lived in Kemmerer as a child

2 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

Success,  I lived it. I wished they would have built a part of the offense around Allen. But they tried to fit a square peg in a round hole. Didn't even try to adjust to his arm talent. It is amazing scouts stayed with him. But they saw what was happening I guess. I wished I could have seen that article. Who was the coach? Thanks.

I wish I could remember...it was awhile ago.  He really broke it all down.  It eased a lot of my fears about accuracy, and also emphasized how important context is.

It’s late and I’m beat, but I’ll see if I can find it tomorrow.  I really knew zilch about Allen in college, but I love how he’s playing for us so far.  Obviously he has a ways to go, but he has intangibles you can’t teach.  He has that competitive fire that you want in your QB.

43 minutes ago, Zerovotlz said:

.....so that kind of leads me back to my point to begin with...if Allen is destined to be accurate...why wasn't anyone able to fix him in HS?  in JUCO?  At Wyoming (where he had the same coaches as Carson Wentz) ?    It's not just going to suddenly happen....and I don't know how you make it happen or what coach you need etc..or maybe the right cast....If it were easy, if were bound to happen....it would happen a lot more often than it does for other talented athletes...like a Vick etc etc.

Well in reality Craig Bohl and his staff pretty much red-shirted Wentz while at NDSU and had him backing up Brock Jensen (retired CFL Ottawa RedBlacks QB) till he was named the starter in 2014 after Bohl and his OC left for Wyoming, but I am picking nits.

Wyoming lost a lot of key starters Josh's 2nd year at Wyoming (not sure, but read somewhere that they had a center, TE, and WR go to the NFL - that is pretty good for an improving Wyoming program, but bad for a QB in his last year). Those that have watched the tapes of Josh talk about numerous drops from his receivers and that he carried the team on his back...where does that fit into the blended accuracy completion % conversation?

I am on the fence as to whether you are trolling folks...

4 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

I know he is a rookie....I do think his pct will improve...I am not sure it ever improves enough to be a viable "franchise" QB.  ....the idea that all you need to have him do is "just improve accuracy"  is a funny statement to me...that isn't something that is easily done....and history shows it is highly unlikely it will ever improve very much.  ...I'm just pointing out that many here seem to think that one day Allen is all of the sudden gong to go from a lifelong 50% passer to a 65% guy somehow...I just don't see how it is taken as something that WILL happen given enough time....etc....

Those stats are extremely misleading. Percentage completion for a QB is only sometimes an accurate indicator of accuracy. The last two weeks Allen has led the league in yards in the air per pass. When it is third and 20 he throws a 20-30 yard pass not a completion for 6 yards and a punt. He rarely throws screens and WR screens, maybe two a game, which are completions and gin up percentage stats for 2/3 of the quarterbacks in the league. He rarely if ever dumps the ball off to a RB if his WR are covered. The Bills don't even have those guys in the play calls. The Bills also have the worst WR corps in the entire league, no run game and terrible blocking. 

Allen had a 8-19 stat line last week and he was very accurate most of the entire game. If he threw two more called screen passes a game, which most teams do, and are almost guaranteed completions that have zero to do with accuracy, his completion percentage would jump from the 50s to the 60s with no better throws. 

• Like (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Those stats are extremely misleading. Percentage completion for a QB is only sometimes an accurate indicator of accuracy. The last two weeks Allen has led the league in yards in the air per pass. When it is third and 20 he throws a 20-30 yard pass not a completion for 6 yards and a punt. He rarely throws screens and WR screens, maybe two a game, which are completions and gin up percentage stats for 2/3 of the quarterbacks in the league. He rarely if ever dumps the ball off to a RB if his WR are covered. The Bills don't even have those guys in the play calls. The Bills also have the worst WR corps in the entire league, no run game and terrible blocking. 

Allen had a 8-19 stat line last week and he was very accurate most of the entire game. If he threw two more called screen passes a game, which most teams do, and are almost guaranteed completions that have zero to do with accuracy, his completion percentage would jump from the 50s to the 60s with no better throws. 

I agree Allen goes downfield more often than many QB do....and having watched Alex Smith for years...I agree, high completion PCT isn't the be all end all for accuracy.  Smith comleted a TON of short easy passes.  Accuracy is more than completion PCT....as stated by others here.  .....So, even given all this....isn't it worth asking then, if you KNOW Allen can only complete "X" pct of deeper passes and you believe he'd complete more if you called a screen or slant or two...wouldn't someone in all this time, figured out that it was worthwhile to call a short pass for the guy here and there?  .....what good does it do to throw it farther downfield if you don't complete those?  Certainly he doesn't connect often enough to justify doing it as much as he does....he doesn't throw TD's at a high enough rate to justify it....he has a high turnover rate that might go down....wouldn't it be optimal to have him throw shorter more often?  

14 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

By no means was the loss on Allen.  He was the reason we had a shot today.  He played great.  But that last pass was far from perfect.  He did the best he could. 

Yeah, we need a QB that when it’s 4th and 11 the OL allows a jailbreak pass rush, the QB scrambles to avoid two sure tackles, then sprints to his left and throws a very catchable ball on the run to his right 50(!) yards to the goal line where it’s dropped by the receiver. If only there was a QB (anywhere) who could make a better throw. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Both big build, good runners, charismatic, winners, scouting reports concered about accuracy at pro level.  Completion PCT, TD's INTS, comparable...Allen better comp % by a little bit...but Tebow more TD and less INTS ....still pretty close.  Both had very good defenses to help them.  Allen certainly has the better raw arm.

You can go back to the chiefs board now ??‍♂️??‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

How can you possibly blame Allen for that loss? If that’s what you’re trying to say

The only way someone can blame Allen for that is if they legitimately didn't watch the game and just saw the INT's on the stat sheet after the game.

• Like (+1) 1