Jerry Hughes Confronts Official after the Game - Umpire Roy Ellison Reinstated After Being Fined $9300

13 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I guarantee other refs will have it out for Hughes the rest of the season. Officiating across the league is a total joke, somehow worse than ever.

So just business as usual for Hughes then, because they always seem to pay a little extra attention to him. (unless he is being held, then they ignore it)

• Like (+1) 1

If nothing else, it places a certain segment of zebra clowns on notice (I still believe most try to do their jobs as fairly as possible, but...) that Hughes will call 'em like he sees it back. In this case, well deserved. The NFL has enough to worry about on its plate right now in terms of PR disasters (domestic abusers, attendance, lingering anthem, Kaep) to also let its officiating no longer be above reasonable reproach. Expect quick/decisive action? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Would not be surprised to see Ellison terminated for being a repeat offender.

Ya know, Corner, I am not a "the refs cost us the game" kinda guy.

However, given this suspension and given that guy's history...DID the refs cost us the game on Sunday?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

However, given this suspension and given that guy's history...DID the refs cost us the game on Sunday?

Good question, but the Bills made plenty of their own mistakes with a failure to capitalize on opportunities to make plays.  The game was certainly poorly offciated and that didn't help the cause. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I just wonder whether teams are able to criticize the officiating - like submit film from the previous game showing all the calls they missed etc.

A ref who tells Allen to quit whining/crying, and another who calls Hughes a name - like... its clear they weren't interested in calling this game down the middle.

If a ref told Allen to quit whining/crying after all the head shots he took, the officiating is an even bigger joke that I thought.  And teams do submit film.

10 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Yes.

• Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, davspo said:

I highly doubt they could be more abusive to the Bills-maybe just maybe they will begin to treat them fairly

I agree. I see them calling more grey area penalties on the Bills and missing more on the opposing team.. and if Hughes even has a semi questionable hit.. it will be “personal foul and 15 yard penalty” 

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

Can anyone here post video, maybe from the all 22, of hughes being held without flags being thrown? I hear this argument all the time in the game day threads. Would like to see it with my eyes 

I have seen it several times, usually because I was either watching the rush or because the guys in the booth capture Jerry uselessly pleading his case to the refs and they do the viewer a solid and show the replay. It really happens, and there does seem to be another standard for holds that applies to Jerry.

I don't know if Jerry gave up on complaining (small wonder), or if it was happening so much that they just stopped showing the replays, but it does not get the same level of attention it has gotten in previous years particularly when he was chasing down sack records and such. Still happens just about every play where he beats a guy on the outside rush, or on the interior twist and swim moves that catch a lot of guards in bad position (not just Teller).

But yeah, I would like to see more of the defensive plays on the All-22 review, but they have mostly focused on Josh - for good reason. And beggars can't be choosers.

On 12/5/2018 at 9:45 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yup. The way these (insert your favorite expletive here) close ranks when in the wrong, and their version of addressing their own performance issues is rarely a transparent process that leads to better results.

Even their standard response to the accuracy on penalties (we usually grade out at 95% or higher when reviewing penalties that are assessed) does not even factor in why they appear in certain games to have two different rule books when calling those penalties. Sure Teller held, but calling holds on interior linemen, if consistent, could take up most of the game. That is my beef with NFL officiating, and I believe they often do let personal bias get in the way.

A well officiated game to me is where they don't take over the game by throwing so many flags it is unwatchable, AND the types of calls seem to be applied consistently for both teams, NOT evaluating whether a particular call was accurate by the letter of the law - so to speak.

Jerry better have his head on a swivel, because he isn't going to get any calls to go his way, and a  crackback-block against him may not have any repercussions for the offending team next game.

Edited by WideNine
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I the grander scheme of things I think what Hughes did was selfish and will hurt him and the team in the long run.  Her certainly will not get any calls nor will the rest of the Bills this season and beyond.  Thanks a lot buddy.  His teammates should give him a blanket party.  Frankly, I hope he gets suspended because he threatened an official and deserves a lengthy suspension.