Jerry Hughes Confronts Official after the Game - Umpire Roy Ellison Reinstated After Being Fined $9300

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I rather hope Hughes gets a nominal fine - say, $10k or so - just to send the message that you can't ***** with the refs with impunity.  

Both should see repercussions, but they should be significantly inequal repercussions if the story is true.

Edited by DC Tom

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Jerry Hughes Confronts Official after the Game - League Places Roy Ellison on Administrative Leave While Investigation Continues
On 12/3/2018 at 4:19 PM, MPT said:

When you see an offensive tackle get beat to the outside and extend his arm outside his shoulders to wrap up the defender, it's almost always called holding. It's rarely called when it's Hughes. If you watch for that kind of play, you'll see that he gets around the edge better than almost all pass rushers but he's always fighting that extended arm up in his shoulders / neck area. 

Fact

On 12/3/2018 at 5:32 PM, row_33 said:

since around 1980 I always went with holding only being called if the O-lineman is clearly beaten and he has to confront the side or back of the pass rusher

and don't feel they've missed much since 1980

if holding means the Bills didn't get a sack, then you can rethink your views

I have been watching Jerry since he came over from the Colts. He is one of my two defensive faves. Kyle the other, of course.
and i watch every game. andi watch 55 alot
Dude is all motor and thoroughly abused most of the games. He is a and outside speed rusher when not stunting because he nearly always turns the tackle and opens up the  c gap for the defense to penetrate if wished. and nearly every time he turns that tackle he gets a left arm/hand to keep him form turning the corner the or full on grab of pads if the Tackle can even stay in front of him. which generally they cannot.

On 12/3/2018 at 7:00 PM, Boyst62 said:

Do you watch him play?  Once the OT takes him on the wheel he generally let's off the gas

BS

he has his job when rushing outside. But watch fifty five chasing down players from the backside and to the opposite side of the has marks.
No one has had more hustle overall on that line.

9 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I love when people ask if you watched the game and then are completley wrong. 

Hard to focus on every player. and things do move fast enough.
 any one can misinterpret what happened.

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I guarantee other refs will have it out for Hughes the rest of the season. Officiating across the league is a total joke, somehow worse than ever.

They have had it out for Hughes since his inclusion into the Bills Fold.

But yes he has a been a B word over the years. sometimes rightly so sometimes he just jabbers too much on the field lol

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I guarantee other refs will have it out for Hughes the rest of the season. Officiating across the league is a total joke, somehow worse than ever.

Or maybe the opposite happens and they’ll be worried about getting suspended by Jerry saying they called him something. 

• Like (+1) 1

Umpire Roy Ellison placed on administrative leave after another player confrontation

by Ben Austro - December 4, 2018

Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes specifically sought out and confronted the officials from Sunday’s game on the way to the locker room. Hughes was captured on video going ballistic, yelling that one of the officials called him “a B word.” The official that Hughes is directing his ire to was obscured in the video, but Football Zebras identified that it was umpire Roy Ellison. Referee Shawn Hochuli could be heard saying, “Come on, Roy,” to diffuse the situation.

The NFL is investigating the matter, and until that is completed, Ellison will not be on the field.

In response to our query, NFL spokesman Michael Signora told Football Zebras via e-mail, “The matter is under review. While that review is ongoing, Roy Ellison has been placed on administrative leave.”

From the pieces of the puzzle that are showing, it seems as if Hughes said something to Ellison, and Ellison, characteristic of past incidents, issued a sharp-tongued response. It should be noted that the video does not show any other players in the tunnel at the time for either team, so the likelihood is Hughes made an effort to exit the field at the same time as the officials.

Hochuli’s crew is in Arizona for the Lions-Cardinals game next week. He will likely get the umpire that had a scheduled week off or the one who works Thursday night game will work double duty this weekend. Football Zebras reached out to Scott Green, executive director of the officials union, and will update this post if we receive a response.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I highly doubt they could be more abusive to the Bills-maybe just maybe they will begin to treat them fairly

• Like (+1) 1

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Jerry Hughes Confronts Official after the Game - League Places Umpire Roy Ellison on Administrative Leave While Investigation Continues
2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I have been watching Jerry since he came over from the Colts. He is one of my two defensive faves. Kyle the other, of course.
and i watch every game. andi watch 55 alot
Dude is all motor and thoroughly abused most of the games. He is a and outside speed rusher when not stunting because he nearly always turns the tackle and opens up the  c gap for the defense to penetrate if wished. and nearly every time he turns that tackle he gets a left arm/hand to keep him form turning the corner the or full on grab of pads if the Tackle can even stay in front of him. which generally they cannot.

I saw someone else mentioning that he gives up when beat by a tackle.

I have watched Jerry a lot too and although every player gets winded, I would have to say that catching Jerry loafing it out there is the exception not the norm. Some folks may think he's giving up on the pass rush when it may be situations where Hughes is coached not to be undisciplined and get so high on his rush against an o-lineman that has good position/leverage that he loses contain - especially against a QB with some wheels.

Edited by WideNine

The NFL broke new ground this year with its first midseason firing of an official in the Super Bowl era back in October with Hugo Cruz because of his poor performance. While this current investigation is still ongoing, one has to imagine a ref on two-and-a-half strikes will likely find his employment in a precarious position.