Until we sort this officiating we are going nowhere

Jasovon

I was at this game and almost threw up. Worst officiating I've seen in a long time. I do have one question? Are teams allowed to use their stadium sound systems for crowd noise. I looked up and down the whole 300 area of that stadium and I saw nobody yelling or cheering but the crowd noise was loud as hell from the stadium speakers. Plus there was probably 40% Bills fans in that stadium, I thought it was a violation to pipe in crowd noise?

2 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I was at this game and almost threw up. Worst officiating I've seen in a long time. I do have one question? Are teams allowed to use their stadium sound systems for crowd noise. I looked up and down the whole 300 area of that stadium and I saw nobody yelling or cheering but the crowd noise was loud as hell from the stadium speakers. Plus there was probably 40% Bills fans in that stadium, I thought it was a violation to pipe in crowd noise?

I'm almost sure the Colts were fined a few years ago for exactly that.....

There are basically two types of missed calls.

1) an obvious foul that the officials don't call

2) a non-foul that the officials do call

i can accept missed calls much more easily than phantom calls.

the personal foul on 97 was a horrible call.  Guy was just celebrating after his TFL.  Watch the Dolphins first TD.  The WR drops the ball right at DB feet.  Why wasn't that taunting?

And the PI on Milano was bogus as well.

Bills FO needs to hassle the NFL officiating and say this is unacceptable. Show all of the specific bogus calls and non-calls. And McD and Beane need to subtly suggest that NFL officiating is horrendous in all of their interviews.  It's not whining, it's making it clear to nfl that their is a problem. 

2 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

You're right....What I don't get is why do these people still watch games....if they are convinced that the NFL will screw the Bills, why bother.....

Many people watch the NFL for gambling purposes

and a high percentage of fans love to watch sports so they can complain all the time, about the refs or ump, about losing, about how boring it is to watch sports

i can’t bother with either view, I just want to watch great talent perform, rarely do I  emotionally care who wins

this was encouraging from the Bills today, I feel better after today than I did at any time last season

20 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Bills FO needs to hassle the NFL officiating and say this is unacceptable. Show all of the specific bogus calls and non-calls. And McD and Beane need to subtly suggest that NFL officiating is horrendous in all of their interviews.  It's not whining, it's making it clear to nfl that their is a problem. 

Lobbying with the officials is something team captains and coaches do, this has to work because even the best are constantly in discussion with officials

To do it correctly is an art form, the Bills aren’t there at all

Practically, the Raptors are terrible at it with Lowry uselessly whining from layup line, works against him, and their rookie coach who doesn’t do much to plead his cause

Edited by row_33

9 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I don’t think so.

Well we are one team shy from leading the league in penalty yards assessed. Are the Bills players always that much worse with holding compared to other teams year after year; Were the holds on Teller significantly different from the hold on Hughes?

Just my own conspiracy theory, but ever since Ralph was so instrumental in swaying the owner votes bringing back the instant replay system that the NFL officiating union did not want, we have always ranked near the top in penalties assessed and yards surrendered, phantom drive-killing calls...

*Two calls made the difference in the Buffalo Bills' 25-21 loss to the New England Patriots three days later. Patriots receiver Shawn Jefferson was called inbounds on a fourth-and-9 pass play, although replays showed he was out. Then Buffalo was called for interference on a desperation pass into the end zone as players on both teams jostled for the ball. That call set up the Patriots' winning touchdown. The Bills' owner, Ralph Wilson, lashed out at the officiating afterward and was fined $50,000 by Tagliabue. 

So Ralph changed his instant reply vote in 1999, and swayed a few other holdout owners to change theirs too to bring it back, like KC's Lamar Hunt (BTW KC is the one team that leads our Bills this year in penalty yards assessed).

Lamar Hunt, owner of the Kansas City Chiefs, had consistently opposed instant replay, but said that ''I voted for it this time because I see an opportunity to use improved technology. I have some misgivings. I still think there are imperfections in the system, but let's see what happens.''

Hence the oft times terrible, incompetent, and biased officiating with its underground ties to Vegas betting was now there for the world to see, and the Bills would be forever hated by NFL officials. ? 

Like I said, it is my conspiracy theory.

Edited by WideNine

9 hours ago, 1stgm1993 said:

I don’t think they actually threw the red flag though 

Yeah, the dumb Dolphins players, who don't know the rules, were making the hand motions to throw the flag.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I have to agree with this comment- most game i have watched i literally see more bad calls than good ones- it is clear that they expect certain things and try to spot it while missing many definitive calls.

Since the prime time and high profile games have an ex-official hooked up, they get their input on replays/calls.  I've seen more times than expected that the final call/replay decision is different than what the ex-ref said.

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

13 hours ago, mjt328 said:

There was nothing blatantly missed by the refs today.

Sometimes there are calls that can be considered the "gray area" - and unfortunately we had a bunch of those in the last couple drives of the game.

- The Milano pass interference was ticky-tacky.  But he DID use his body to impede the receiver's progress, before he turned to defend the ball.

- The Phillips personal foul was ticky-tacky.  But he DID forcefully throw the runner's foot to the ground, while mouthing off at the Dolphins sideline.

- On the sack, he didn't grab Allen's facemask or horse-collar him.  His neck and helmet got twisted, but it really wasn't due to an illegal grab by the defender.

Holding the end zone should have been a safety was a big one and when the defender touched Allen’s helmet, by the book it’s an automatic penalty. 

Refs were really bad today and I’m glad Hughes made sure he called that ref a b1tch, in a 4 point loss those calls made the difference. 

It’s really not the refs fault, they are instructed how to influence the game by the league, so technically they are doing their job 

Edited by uticaclub

4 hours ago, WideNine said:

Well we are one team shy from leading the league in penalty yards assessed. Are the Bills players always that much worse with holding compared to other teams year after year; Were the holds on Teller significantly different from the hold on Hughes?

Just my own conspiracy theory, but ever since Ralph was so instrumental in swaying the owner votes bringing back the instant replay system that the NFL officiating union did not want, we have always ranked near the top in penalties assessed and yards surrendered, phantom drive-killing calls...

*Two calls made the difference in the Buffalo Bills' 25-21 loss to the New England Patriots three days later. Patriots receiver Shawn Jefferson was called inbounds on a fourth-and-9 pass play, although replays showed he was out. Then Buffalo was called for interference on a desperation pass into the end zone as players on both teams jostled for the ball. That call set up the Patriots' winning touchdown. The Bills' owner, Ralph Wilson, lashed out at the officiating afterward and was fined $50,000 by Tagliabue. 

So Ralph changed his instant reply vote in 1999, and swayed a few other holdout owners to change theirs too to bring it back, like KC's Lamar Hunt (BTW KC is the one team that leads our Bills this year in penalty yards assessed).

Lamar Hunt, owner of the Kansas City Chiefs, had consistently opposed instant replay, but said that ''I voted for it this time because I see an opportunity to use improved technology. I have some misgivings. I still think there are imperfections in the system, but let's see what happens.''

Hence the oft times terrible, incompetent, and biased officiating with its underground ties to Vegas betting was now there for the world to see, and the Bills would be forever hated by NFL officials. ? 

Like I said, it is my conspiracy theory.

I was about to defend the thankless job of officials who are watching an 11 on 11 game at full speed from one angle who get bombarded by different rules and "points of emphasis" each year, but then you brought this game up.  Most pissed off I've ever been at officials and I felt like writing to my local Congressman how we need replay back.  Also, who the hell calls pass interference on a Hal Mary where there's nine guys fighting for the ball?

14 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

the numerous hits to Allen's head that were not called were awful.   And despite the fact that Zay didn't catch the ball, the CB was all over him PRIOR TO the ball arriving.  Should have been PI.  Another missed call by this terrible officiating crew.  

A buddy of mine who is a Colts fan turned in to end of our game was amazed on Zay non catch that they didn’t call PI CB was all,over him.  The multiple hits to Allen’s head also amazed no calls.  Yet we got called for roughing passer when Bush buried his face into center of Tannehills chest with a clean take down tackle.   Officiating I. The NFL,is making the game u watchable at times

Miami had 8 penalties for 89 yards including a number of key offensive holding calls.

The officiating is pretty evenly bad throughout the league and is certainly not why lost today.

I'm sure the fans of every team think the officiating impacts their team the most.

Just to a different perspective....Steelers fans, after losing a close one on Sunday Night Football...

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/sign-here-if-you-think-the-nfl-is-rigged.21032/

The franchise with the most Lombardi trophies, perennial contenders....feel that the NFL is out to get them....would that thread be alive if they make a field goal and win the game ?....Nope...just fans upset after their favorite team got beat....

14 hours ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

Tackle Golden Boy Brady by the neck and see what happens... some bad hits on Allen today, several of which were not called. The QB protection from the NFL is inconsistent at best. 

Thats because of all of these rule changes that puts no clear cut examples into place. It’s subjective from crew to crew.

Its the same as the previous football move catch rule that’s finally history.

The refs are in a no win situation and they tend to side on the experienced marquee QBs in this case.

They were disgustingly bad yesterday. Blame the league.

2 minutes ago, dlonce said:

Thats because of all of these rule changes that puts no clear cut examples into place. It’s subjective from crew to crew.

Its the same as the previous football move catch rule that’s finally history.

The refs are in a no win situation and they tend to side on the experienced marquee QBs in this case.

They were disgustingly bad yesterday. Blame the league.

The league is to blame for certain. High def television is to blame in part as well. Fan expectation is part of the problem.  However, in a game with 20+ flags thrown, it's hard to reconcile the tackle up at the helmet on JA and the pass int missed on the Zay drop near the end. The flags were thrown at a rate of one every 3 minute of football. They were calling the game tightly (which should never need to be said) why keep the flags in the pocket on the last series? 

This was a bad crew yesterday. There are bad teams, there are bad crews, I've never understood why some folks (not you in this case) feel that should be glossed over. Add in the allegation that one of the officials was jawing with Jerry Hughes, it's part of the overall product. 

16 hours ago, 1stgm1993 said:

Exactly hits to the head not called b s esp the hit last drive the second guy came in and came close to a ouch to the head as Allen is already being sacked 

Exactly and that's why the refs failure call the hit to the head is inexcusable. We have all seen cases when a tap on the QB's head drew roughing, and I believe it was Branch who literally went to Allen's head while he was being sacked by another Dolphin. Hochuli and his crew shamed his family name. Lastly, yes that was blatant PI on that long throw to Jones. Again, no call. I wish only the worst for this entire officiating crew.

23 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yep. We were in a 4th and 11 because of 2 missed penalties. We were down in the first place because of a botched roughing the passer call on the first drive. Of course these things matter in a sport that is more often than not decided on a few plays.

yeah--but as I said good teams overcome that. simply catching the ball would have done the trick in this instance

9 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

Just to a different perspective....Steelers fans, after losing a close one on Sunday Night Football...

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/sign-here-if-you-think-the-nfl-is-rigged.21032/

The franchise with the most Lombardi trophies, perennial contenders....feel that the NFL is out to get them....would that thread be alive if they make a field goal and win the game ?....Nope...just fans upset after their favorite team got beat....

OR...

Tomlin and the officials do not exactly see eye-to-eye. Hasn't he been very vocal over the years, and hasn't he been fined upon a few occasions. Didn't he break the golden rule, and that is officials are not to be questioned.

The media asks McDermott about a bad call and he brakes out in a cold sweat and looks like he is trying to swallow Dawkin's cleats. You just KNOW he wants to say "Those guys couldn't find their A##es with both hands", but just knows it could always get worse for his team.

And BTW Pittsburgh comes in at #3 for most penalty yards assessed this year. One behind the Bills at 90 penalties for 820 yards... I could understand the sentiment that "the officials hate us". Tomlin does not help things, as I firmly believe that NFL officiating can really turn against a team that questions how they call a game.