The First Play of the Sean Taylor Game.

whatdrought

Hey guys. Saw something random and it made me think of this. 

When Sean Taylor was killed, we played the skins the next week (won on a last minute fieldgoal due to a strange mistake from Gibbs in calling two timeouts if I recall). The first play on D the skins left one player off the field to honor ST. We ran a sweep to Freddy. 

I remember at the time thinking that it would have been more classy for us to take a knee or to do something to honor him- though I understand if that may have been seen as besmirching the competition which Taylor was all about... 

Wondered what those of you who remember this moment were thinking at the time? I haven't ever heard any other perspective on this. 

1 minute ago, golfball323 said:

I do remember that. Its hard to make that call in the moment. Washington had all the time in the world to decide they were going to do that. Hats off to them for showing respect, but we had a play to run. Trent Edwards may not have even noticed...

a missing safety absolutely does not affect the 3 yard wheel route. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

I would have absolutely been against taking a knee. You play to win the game. If the Racial Slurs really wanted to honor Taylor, they would have gotten a sack on the first play.

And if I'm being honest I hated Sean Taylor ever since unnecessary hard hit on Moorman in the prowbowl.

That was an awesome hit. Nothing wrong about it.

The coaches meet up before the game. I bet Gibbs said something about it to the Bills' coach at the time, just as a heads up.

41 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

When Sean Taylor was killed, we played the skins the next week (won on a last minute fieldgoal due to a strange mistake from Gibbs in calling two timeouts if I recall). The first play on D the skins left one player off the field to honor ST. We ran a sweep to Freddy. 

I remember at the time thinking that it would have been more classy for us to take a knee or to do something to honor him- though I understand if that may have been seen as besmirching the competition which Taylor was all about... 

Wondered what those of you who remember this moment were thinking at the time? I haven't ever heard any other perspective on this. 

My memory for games from the past is pretty bad, though I remember that.

You get 4 downs, one of which is used to guve the ball to your opponent if you don't do a good job moving the ball on the first three.  Life goes on. 

44 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I attended the game.  Was sitting in front of three obnoxious and drunk Skins fans.  I wanted the Bills to kick the 'Skins ass that day.  The three fans were jawing the whole game and then quietly sulked out of the Stadium.  If I remember correctly, Lindell's FG before the penalty was good from 50+ but the refs blew the whistle for the timeout and threw the flag before he kicked it.

I see your point about respect though...I was caught up in the moment.

Earlier this year Maryland lined up with 10 men and left a gap on the o line where the player who died would have lined up. They took a delay of game, and the opponent declined it. I remember because before I realized what was happening I commented too my wife how it seemed like an abnormally large space between the linemen, I expected some kind of trick play. 

Edit: I always remember that game for the two time out rule, and college doesn't have that rule. Didn't recall it was the Sean Taylor game. 

Edited by co_springs_billsfan

42 minutes ago, buffalobillswin said:

I would have absolutely been against taking a knee. You play to win the game. If the Racial Slurs really wanted to honor Taylor, they would have gotten a sack on the first play.

And if I'm being honest I hated Sean Taylor ever since unnecessary hard hit on Moorman in the prowbowl.

So a guy gets murdered, and your thought process at the time essentially was: i didnt like his hit on our punter so screw ‘em. 

2 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Earlier this year Maryland lined up with 10 men and left a gap on the o line where the player who died would have lined up. They took a delay of game, and the opponent declined it. I remember because before I realized what was happening I commented too my wife how it seemed like an abnormally large space between the linemen, I expected some kind of trick play. 

Edit: I always remember that game for the two time out rule, and college doesn't have that rule. Didn't recall it was the Sean Taylor game. 

Didn't know about that rule until that game.  Remember Skins fans being really upset like we should've let them win.  Can't fault the guy for the Moorman hit as he was an absolute competitor.  Unfortunately one of many talents taken way too soon.  

2 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

The Bills didn’t know about the 10 men till later.

They ran a play. 

Play to win.

That's disturbing in itself.  Can't Trent count?  I know the first drive is usually scripted....but still.

I remember that game.  Crazy, it was ten years ago now.

I've never been one to care that much about symbolic gestures, and fielding 10 guys for one play is a lame way to show respect. Had we kneeled, I'm sure people would have said how classy it was, but I would just think it was 2nd down.

7 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

7 hours ago, JoeF said:

I attended the game.  Was sitting in front of three obnoxious and drunk Skins fans.  I wanted the Bills to kick the 'Skins ass that day.  The three fans were jawing the whole game and then quietly sulked out of the Stadium.  If I remember correctly, Lindell's FG before the penalty was good from 50+ but the refs blew the whistle for the timeout and threw the flag before he kicked it.

I see your point about respect though...I was caught up in the moment.

yeah i was there as well.   it was a non event.   no one really even knew they only had 10 on the field.   great comeback by Edwards in that game.  Fred played really well as well.  Gibbs totally blew it at the end.   I had my Bills blanket on my back all day.. everyone was cool.  it was a good game, Bills played well.

7 hours ago, buffalobillswin said:

Thats a dumb reason to hate a player....Did U hate Moorman for running a fake punt? You're probably the same person that complains about no Defense being played in the Pro bowl...I did think he should've blown him up like that....but hate?