Anonymous Poll: Would you support a Bills waiver claim for Kareem Hunt?

StHustle

Kareem Hunt in a Bills uni? Would you accept it?  

569 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support Kareem Hunt playing for the Bills next year? **PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU WATCHED THE TMZ VIDEO (Nobody will know how you vote SO BE HONEST!)

• No, I would not support such a thing.
    • Yes, I think he deserves a second chance and would love it to be here.

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well considering all the police interviews and witness testimony tell a different story, seems pretty premature to just assume what you just said to be fact.

You are taking about a girl who was there after lying about her age, refusing to leave multiple times when asked politely to leave, and who instigated most the physical contact on not only Hunt, but his girlfriend and one of his buddies.  Why is her “version” suddenly gospel?

I am all about protecting women and very against men hitting females.  BUT...this free pass that happens all the time where no one holds women accountable for any of their actions is also out of hand too.  Hunt certainly went too far, but she doesn’t just get a free pass here and we don’t get to just assume this drink girl who wouldn’t leave, lied already that night is somehow telling the full truth. 

And Hunt came out very calm just asking her to leave, she says something and makes contact that sets him off.  Witnesses said she called him the N word.  I mean there were a lot of people there and all their stories matched in all the police interview videos too.

Not justifying his actions, he deserves to face consequences.   But her version of the story is pretty hard to fully believe.  Hunts girlfriend was there, I have a hard time believing he “attacked her” over not banging his buddy and Hunts GF was just ok with this. 

TMZ and people not watching all the police videos and not using a little common sense about her story have all decided to convict him and paint him a monster prematurely before the whole story is really known.

Fair enough.  But, if Hunt felt he was so innocent, why did he lie to the Chiefs and claim that he never left his room?

It was a bad look for Hunt that is for sure. Someone is going to give him a chance, he is simply too talented. If the Bills were that team I would be OK with it as long as this was an isolated incident and it was out of character.

Hunt profusely claims this is the case, but any team would need to do a lot of research into those claims...kind of the way they do character checks on them coming out of college and go to great lengths to talk to as many people as possible about them. If it turns out it really is an isolated incident then so be it. If it turns out it isn't then no...

Edited by matter2003

I'm a bit torn.

Ethically, I'd love for the NFL to just kick out guys that can't behave themselves. Therefore, from that perspective, I would not want Buffalo to pick him up.

Having said that, it appears that the NFL has zero interest in doing that, as there are countless examples of far worse people (at least based on what we currently know) being able to continue playing in the NFL. From that perspective, not picking up Hunt is simply the Bills being willing to miss out on a great player that someone else will not miss out on. On top of being a great player, his contract is absolutely tiny, so from a football perspective, he'd be a fantastic value.

I voted no, and I think I'm ultimately comfortable with missing out on him, but it it is semi-tempting to just go for it and hope that he keeps himself clean moving forwards. His skillset and contract are both highly enticing and I am someone that believes in second chances.

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

6:27 PM PT -- Hunt just made a statement to ESPN about our video, saying, "I want to apologize for my actions. I deeply regret what I did. I hope to move on from this."

5:50 PM PT -- The Chiefs have cut Kareem Hunt, and say he lied to the team when they spoke directly to him about the incident. 

The team says when the NFL and Cleveland PD launched their investigations the team called in Hunt and "several members of our management team spoke directly to him. Kareem was not truthful in those discussions. The video released today confirms that fact."

Thanks bud, I wasn’t sure where that stood as confirmed or speculation.  

38 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Fair enough.  But, if Hunt felt he was so innocent, why did he lie to the Chiefs and claim that he never left his room?

I’m not saying he felt it was innocent, I’m sure Hunt lied the same way anyone would have lied there.  Let’s be real, is there really any player that would have come clean in that spot to the severity of incident?  I mean no charges were filed, a player is going to try and minimize the situation as much as possible and hope it doesn’t blow up.  So I really don’t see how any player would have handled it much different to be honest.  These are young players with a lot to lose, when a poor decision turns into a bad decision they are going to go into preservation and survival mode. 

To be clear, I don’t say that to justify his actions, just saying his actions are pretty expected of anyone in this position facing their career being impacted.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

If the Bills brass sees this poll (if they are remotely considering the claim I'm 100% positive they will see this poll) and fan opinion is what makes or breaks their decision, this poll should tell them DO IT!

They only need to swing 15-16% of fans to have majority support. That would be easy to do with a press conference stating all the research done and how they are confident it was an isolated incident.

Bottom line is, while what Hunt did was wrong, the young woman was not injured. He is an NFL player and she is a 19 year old girl. He could have demolished her if he the monster people make him out to be. Had NOTHING to do with his friends holding him back. At the end of the video he had full access to do as he please with her. As far as Im concerned it was a totally idiotic way to get her to leave. Anyone with sense watching that tape can see his intent was not to inflict any real bodily harm.

So with that said, I HOPE WE MAKE THE CLAIM! I'm feel 90% sure we won't or that even if we do, a team ahead of us will grab em. But hey that gives us a 10% chance still.

so-im-telling-you-theres-a-chance.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:40 AM, JMF2006 said:

NO!

You never hit a women....ever.

Men and women are equal.  And from what I have read, there is no such thing as gender anymore.

Yeah, I'd have no problem seeing him on the Bills, could probably get him cheap too.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I'm a bit torn.

Ethically, I'd love for the NFL to just kick out guys that can't behave themselves. Therefore, from that perspective, I would not want Buffalo to pick him up.

Having said that, it appears that the NFL has zero interest in doing that, as there are countless examples of far worse people (at least based on what we currently know) being able to continue playing in the NFL. From that perspective, not picking up Hunt is simply the Bills being willing to miss out on a great player that someone else will not miss out on. On top of being a great player, his contract is absolutely tiny, so from a football perspective, he'd be a fantastic value.

I voted no, and I think I'm ultimately comfortable with missing out on him, but it it is semi-tempting to just go for it and hope that he keeps himself clean moving forwards. His skillset and contract are both highly enticing and I am someone that believes in second chances.

If you are a fan of the NFL and watch games, buy tickets and merchandise and otherwise support the league, then you are supporting an awful lot of thugs , many in the league, some in the hall of fame, one of the most notorious on our own wall of fame. 

Periodic virtue signaling by denouncing a particular player because their actions become part of the public discussion does not make you morally superior to all the fans in the game.  There are really ethical people who have stopped watching and supporting the NFL all together over these types of issues. 

But if you are  just a poseur that wants to watch the games , but pretend you are superior to the fans of other teams because they sign Robert Foster or Kareem Hunt, then well, you are just a poseur.  

On the field, Kareem Hunt has proven to be a professional with an even temperament and a high skill level. If the justice system puts him in jail for his off the field transgressions, that is perfectly fine with me.  I am not a cop, a district attorney, a judge or a juror being called into make a judgment on his off the field issues.   I am a football fan, and would be happy to see my team improved. 

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

On 12/1/2018 at 1:40 AM, JMF2006 said:

NO!

You never hit a women....ever.

I live a life where I don't find myself in such predicaments as Kareem's.  When these things happen I typically have my initial outrage and wonder why I watch the NFL at all.  Not that I'm numb to it, but I enjoy the game, warts and all.  I'm often more appalled by the owners' arrogance than the players' ignorance.  The Bills have had players that made bad choices and got suspensions, yet after a great play, there we are rooting them on.

This is not a high ground to take.  If you do, stop watching football altogether.  Bills players are not all saints.  Even if we place a claim, I don't think he'll fall to us anyway.

4 minutes ago, familykwi said:

I live a life where I don't find myself in such predicaments as Kareem's.  When these things happen I typically have my initial outrage and wonder why I watch the NFL at all.  Not that I'm numb to it, but I enjoy the game, warts and all.  I'm often more appalled by the owners' arrogance than the players' ignorance.  The Bills have had players that made bad choices and got suspensions, yet after a great play, there we are rooting them on.

This is not a high ground to take.  If you do, stop watching football altogether.  Bills players are not all saints.  Even if we place a claim, I don't think he'll fall to us anyway.

Thats your opinion.

Violence against women is a serious problem and 65% of the voters agree with me.

Edited by JMF2006

On 12/1/2018 at 5:38 AM, Teddy KGB said:

Huge yes.    

Enough of the hypocrites who have dreamed about having Tyreek Hill all season long but draw the line here ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Because some people might want Hill on the team, you are a 'huge yes'?

4 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

Violent players play a violent game.  Never understood the shock when the players are violent elsewhere.

Yes, take him assuming he can stay out of prison.

Are there people out there that are really shocked? I haven't talked to any.

I have no desire to defend Hunt for what he did.  But I want to ask: How much does context matter.

One site says Abigail Ottinger kept calling Hunt the "N" word.  For example, she was quoted by a witness yelling, "F**k you N******!  You ain't  sh*t!"   She was yelling these slurs supposedly for 30 minutes.

On top of that, according to a witness, Ottinger hit one of Hunt's friends in the face prior to Hunt's altercation with her.

None of this excuses Hunt for what he did.  But it does make his reaction a little more understandable and maybe a little less monstrous.  

https://blacksportsonline.com/home/2018/02/kareem-hunt-met-a-girl-while-bar-hopping-she-called-him-a-*****-now-is-saying-he-assaulted-her/

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/02/woman_says_kansas_city_chiefs.html  

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I have no desire to defend Hunt for what he did.  But I want to ask: How much does context matter.

One site says Abigail Ottinger kept calling Hunt the "N" word.  For example, she was quoted by a witness yelling, "F**k you N******!  You ain't  sh*t!"   She was yelling these slurs supposedly for 30 minutes.

On top of that, according to a witness, Ottinger hit one of Hunt's friends in the face prior to Hunt's altercation with her.

None of this excuses Hunt for what he did.  But it does make his reaction a little more understandable and maybe a little less monstrous.  

https://blacksportsonline.com/home/2018/02/kareem-hunt-met-a-girl-while-bar-hopping-she-called-him-a-*****-now-is-saying-he-assaulted-her/

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2018/02/woman_says_kansas_city_chiefs.html  

As a black man in America, I know you cannot react like that because you are called a n*****. It won't be an accepted defense as is any other name calling.

Here is the thing, this wasn't some hotel room. This was Hunt's HOME. He was intoxicated. A chick is outside his room refusing to leave and even physically attacked his girlfriend. Calls him all sorts of names.

Guess what? HE IS STILL WRONG. Call the police. You don't handle this like he did. Does it make him a monster?!? NO! But it was idiotic for sure. Can you blame the alcohol? SURE! He was at home and can be as drunk as he wanted to get. I mainly blame his friends for letting it get to that point. African Americans tend to not be so quick to call the police. But when in his situation he could only lose by trying to handle things himself.

Look, the optics on this are BAD. A big black athlete getting physical with a 19 year old female. Hunt has to smarten up if he hasnt already. But this does not make the man some thug predator monster who can't be clean the rest of his career. Maybe needs some anger management but his talent is great enough that a team should be willing to take a chance.

I hope the Bills are that team. There are sufficient ways to weather the PR storm and only 16% of fans to sway to have majority support.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, klos63 said:

Are there people out there that are really shocked? I haven't talked to any.

Apparently so, otherwise why would 352 people not want him on the Bills. And why would KC cut him.  He is a violent person, let him pay the woman and get back to practice.  Why all the "not on my team" stuff.