Anonymous Poll: Would you support a Bills waiver claim for Kareem Hunt?

StHustle

Kareem Hunt in a Bills uni? Would you accept it?  

569 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support Kareem Hunt playing for the Bills next year? **PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOU WATCHED THE TMZ VIDEO (Nobody will know how you vote SO BE HONEST!)

• No, I would not support such a thing.
    • Yes, I think he deserves a second chance and would love it to be here.

I’ll chime in.  People capable of that kind of behavior isn’t a flash in the pan.  It’s something they will realistically continue to do as the situation presents itself. 

To change, it takes the desire to change, a deep understanding of why it’s wrong, empathy, and the genuine punishment as a reminder.  

There’s no reason to believe any of those things occurred. If anything, a team putting claim on him is almost a reward.  

So no, I think he needs to be stripped down to reality to truly understand the gravity of what he’s done.  

• Like (+1) 5

Some time ago, i passed the point of caring what players do off the field.  Especially the nfl.  Im sure i have breaking points, but this isnt it.  If they are on the bills, just concerned about avoiding jail time and suspension(s).  

These are young men, prime physical specimens for our species, often taken out of tough upbringings, walked through "college" where they are kings, then given unimaginable amounts of money.  Very attractive to women, and have grown accustomed to getting what they want.  All in a world where everyone has a supercomputer in their pocket with an hd camera connected to social media and lawyers circling above.

To me, from what is seen in the video, its 95% show by Hunt, being young and very reckless.  Made a very bad choice.  He deserves another chance imo (also a suspension).  He says sorry, does some appearances, and is on watch by the nfl (who advises him to employ a handler).

I found you cant be moral police and an nfl fan without painting yourself into a corner.  There are bad guys that appear on every team, and the nfl's first instinct is to hide things.  

It is also probably worse punishment to play in the games snd get your bell rung a bunch of times

With that said, i dont see kim pegula signing off on this

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, StHustle said:

Mods, please allow this to stand as it's own thread.

It's a known fact many teams would steer clear from signing a guy in Hunt's situation due to the public backlash.

I am HIGHLY interested, and Im sure others are too, how Bills fans would receive such a move. I can't get this data from the other thread. 

Hunt will likely receive 6 or more games. THIS WAS NOT DOMESTIC VIOLENCE and doesnt fall under the 6 game mandatory suspension policy however with the video being out there I can't see them doing anything less. With that said I fully expect Hunt to be on the field some time next year. A team who wins a waiver wire claim would have his rights.

Personally, after watching the video and going off other things Ive heard, I dont think what has happened makes this guy a scum bag. What he did was wrong but I believe many are extremely overreacting when it comes to judging this guys entire existence. There are many aspects to this story that would cause almost anybody who has been drinking to become enraged. He clearly showed restraint and didnt even injure the woman at all.

With that said I would 100% support claiming this guy. Wouldn't be mad at all and in fact would be THRILLED if we won the claim. I doubt we would win though as I feel confident the Raiders will claim him.

No - I would not put in a waiver claim on him.

Let him sit suspended for his 6+ games on the commissioners exempt list and maybe over the summer you can talk and determine what exactly happened from his point of view.

If you get what you feel are honest answers with remorse then you discuss the ability to sign him to a 1 year tryout contract with a ton of proper wording to protect your team.  

The NFL will also mandate some kind of classes for him and those must be completed and he has to understand why what he did was wrong.  Again the only way to know that is to sit and talk to him.  

Finally - I believe if he is claimed - he will never really understand why and what the problem was with his actions.  If he goes unclaimed - maybe it brings some consequences to his actions and that might bring about change.

I am all for second chances, but I also want a full background check in deep detail before I sign this guy - has there been other issues - you may have some from his draft year, but I want everything reviewed before I take a chance - so you can lay everything bare and there is not time with a waiver claim.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

No - I would not put in a waiver claim on him.

Let him sit suspended for his 6+ games on the commissioners exempt list and maybe over the summer you can talk and determine what exactly happened from his point of view.

If you get what you feel are honest answers with remorse then you discuss the ability to sign him to a 1 year tryout contract with a ton of proper wording to protect your team.  

The NFL will also mandate some kind of classes for him and those must be completed and he has to understand why what he did was wrong.  Again the only way to know that is to sit and talk to him.  

Finally - I believe if he is claimed - he will never really understand why and what the problem was with his actions.  If he goes unclaimed - maybe it brings some consequences to his actions and that might bring about change.

I am all for second chances, but I also want a full background check in deep detail before I sign this guy - has there been other issues - you may have some from his draft year, but I want everything reviewed before I take a chance - so you can lay everything bare and there is not time with a waiver claim.

...agree RF, but he probably would not be in this predicament had he told the Chiefs the truth when questioned.....with TMZ, today's National Enquirer electronic tabloid lurking out there willing to pay any price for the scoop, , don't think you take a chance......tell the Chiefs the truth, perhaps get a one or two game suspension for "conduct detrimental" and move on.....

14 minutes ago, George C said:

Amazing how some of you guys give a free pass to a criminal just because he can run the football. Sad. 

OJ definitely lived and learned, except at the cost of NBS. 

No way the Bills will sign him, but criminal?  The Cleveland Police Department didn't charge him and closed the case.  He'll eventually play in the NFL again.

• Like (+1) 2

Anyone who says yes wouldn't if it was their family member or friend that was assaulted and you shouldn't be anywhere NEAR any sort of management position EVER.

HELL NO! Any man who hits a woman is a pathetic loser.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 2

“THIS WAS NOT DOMESTIC VIOLENCE” Ummm ok OP, because assault and battery on a stranger female/19 yr old hookup option for an NFL star IS SO MUCH BETTER. Seriously dude, get a grip—all you have to do is tap into your moral compass to hopefully realize we shouldn’t want anything to do with this, ever. There are things that as a matter of principle transcend sports/rooting for a team, and at least for me this is one of them. Just imagine this happened to your mom, daughter, sister, GF, whoever—would you still be so inclined to root for him?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Anyone who says yes wouldn't if it was their family member or friend that was assaulted and you shouldn't be anywhere NEAR any sort of management position EVER.

HELL NO! Any man who hits a woman is a pathetic loser.

Agreed on these points overall. One thing I would like to add is *if*, and this is a huge if, the account of Hunt and his friends is true-- that is he flew off the handle when the young woman in the video used a certain racial slur starting with "n"....then I think that Hunt is a person capable of being "fixed."

To be clear, I am not in any way justifying violence toward women or excusing his behavior. What I do feel is that using the N word toward someone puts the offending party in an "all bets are off" situation. You have said something absolutely inexcusable. There is no telling what kind of reaction you will get out of someone if you do that. I can only imagine the pure seething rage it could invoke in a person. Again, that does not excuse Hunt and his wrongdoing. If the racial slur was what triggered this disgusting behavior, it does make me lean toward thinking that with the desire to harness his emotions, Kareem Hunt could change for the better and never do this again.

34 minutes ago, George C said:

Amazing how some of you guys give a free pass to a criminal just because he can run the football. Sad. 

Good point.    Let Miami or the Pats sign him 

That will teach him 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, George C said:

It would be an even easier decision if Hunt was as good as OJ.

6 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Agreed on these points overall. One thing I would like to add is *if*, and this is a huge if, the account of Hunt and his friends is true-- that is he flew off the handle when the young woman in the video used a certain racial slur starting with "n"....then I think that Hunt is a person capable of being "fixed."

To be clear, I am not in any way justifying violence toward women or excusing his behavior. What I do feel is that using the N word toward someone puts the offending party in an "all bets are off" situation. You have said something absolutely inexcusable. There is no telling what kind of reaction you will get out of someone if you do that. I can only imagine the pure seething rage it could invoke in a person. Again, that does not excuse Hunt and his wrongdoing. If the racial slur was what triggered this disgusting behavior, it does make me lean toward thinking that with the desire to harness his emotions, Kareem Hunt could change for the better and never do this again.

Report is that she and her friend were also fighting Hunt's girlfriend.