Brandon Beane on How Buffalo Can Be a Free Agent Destination

26CornerBlitz

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Most of these guys rent, so that isn't important to them.  Plus they should worry about trying to get their money back if the buy a Buffalo mansion and then try to sell it.

A question for Beane:  does any free agent ever say "who's your QB?"

Winning is nice, but it's really about the take home dollars.

I pay attention to how much coin i earn and how to make the best of the situation. 
Also pay attention to how it is spent. I think we all do that to some extent. We all consider budgets.

at some dollar amount, say 7-10 million a year with future agreements in place , i might not much care about my money as i do now.
so if i got PAID i would play any where .

until  it thought about how competitive i actually am. I am driven to excel. I want to do my best. that what got me this far. and i want to Win Games now.

All are drivers and motivations.

each guy is wired different. 

and L Bell is the one extreme right now as good example to the MONEY method NFL style

9 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

This is exactly it.  Thanks for putting it up here.  Now that I'm as old as my father was when he passed away, I understand the Upstate New York pastime of bitching about taxes.  Jesus, it's like whining about the weather in November.  Duh.  Taxes are high.  And the schools are damn good and you get healthcare for your pre-existing conditions.

When these kids are in their 20s and making league minimum - which is like 8 million times more than I'll ever make in my life - the LAST thing they're worried about is a 5% differential between New York and Tennessee.  I mean - just knock it off.  Go back to bitching about taxes.

And get off of my lawn.

I have stumbled upon my new hero here abouts.

Thanks for the fine post.

Likely the cold weather. that's what all players just hate. being chilly. biggest motivator likely...

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

I pay attention to how much coin i earn and how to make the best of the situation. 
Also pay attention to how it is spent. I think we all do that to some extent. We all consider budgets.

at some dollar amount, say 7-10 million a year with future agreements in place , i might not much care about my money as i do now.
so if i got PAID i would play any where .

until  it thought about how competitive i actually am. I am driven to excel. I want to do my best. that what got me this far. and i want to Win Games now.

All are drivers and motivations.

each guy is wired different. 

and L Bell is the one extreme right now as good example to the MONEY method NFL style

If you were going to make a lifetime of earnings in 6-7 years, would you give away 9-13+% of your gross income to wear a championship ring?

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you were going to make a lifetime of earnings in 6-7 years, would you give away 9-13+% of your gross income to wear a championship ring?

Me ? I am bad at math, and i would paying someone to answer that question for you.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wppete said:

I like the idea of getting either Stills or John Brown. Use our first round pick on the best WR in the draft and then go OL in rounds 2 and 3. 

I’m not 100% sold on using a first round pick on a receiver. Not sure anyone is “elite” yet. I think we’re seeing a new trend for the league where you don’t need a true #1 guy. Just an array of weapons. A good quarterback will make a receiver look like a #1 but give him multiple weapons and he can make them all look kinda great. Unlike some of our posters on this board I do have faith beane can judge the talent and take an elite prospect in the 1st. I’ll trust his judgement on whoever he picks. 

• Like (+1) 1

When you compare state tax rates, the differences really aren't that big when looking at some of the states with teams.   Half of your checks are based on road games anyway.  Thought players salaries are based only on regular season so pre-season games don't count.  Excluding Florida and Texas who have no state income tax, the remaining states really not that huge of a difference to sign or not sign with team due to worrying about state tax.  A guy making $3mil a year may pay around 3% more to play in NY than any state except Florida and Texas, since half the games are out of state, that's a difference of paying about $50,000 a year more in taxes.  You can easily pay more than that much more to buy a comparable house in some other state.

I also believe many NFL come from more small towns so from that perspective Buffalo may be more appealing.  I recall around 6 years when the Bills signed Mario Williams the DE from a rural part of NC,  he was happy to be able to go hunting near by.

Cal     13.3%

Minn   9.85%

NJ       8.97%

DC       8.95%

NY      8.82%

Wis     7.65%

NC      5.70%

I predict people around here will be disappointed by the Bills in free agency.  

1.  They believe in building through the draft.

2.  They don't like big contracts, except for QBs.  (I don'tknow this - I'm guessing.)

3.   They want guys who are willing to buy into the process; a lot of guys don't.  

4.    They don't want guys who aren't good candidates for the process, guys like Ramsey and Beckham.  

I think it all adds up to not many big name guys and more Trent Murphys and the like.  That's the kind of guy they want.   Guys who understand that's who they are will want to play for McDermott, because that's what he appreciates.   

Another reason they will sign less well known players is that they are patient.  They stick to the discipline, too.  They are willing to stay with guys a while because they believe he will grow.   Some coaches would have cut Foster, he looked so bad.  McD was willing to wait.  

Bottom line is I think guys who understand what McBeane are doing, guys who want to be part of that, will come even though it's Buffalo.  They want to be part of the system McBeane are building.  

Whether it works, that's a different question.   Just because you have a system, it doesn't mean that you have the right system.  But they are going to stick with the system, the process, for as long as they're in Buffalo.  And I'd guess the Pegulas gave them at least three years.    

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m not 100% sold on using a first round pick on a receiver. Not sure anyone is “elite” yet. I think we’re seeing a new trend for the league where you don’t need a true #1 guy. Just an array of weapons. A good quarterback will make a receiver look like a #1 but give him multiple weapons and he can make them all look kinda great. Unlike some of our posters on this board I do have faith beane can judge the talent and take an elite prospect in the 1st. I’ll trust his judgement on whoever he picks. 

First pick and second or third should be OL unless "bingo!" on a free agent or two.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Thought players salaries are based only on regular season so pre-season games don't count. 

Since a player can be cut before salary is earned only taxes they would pay would be on signing bonuses (I am sure states would argue all of that is taxable in that state), workout bonuses (a state could attract a training camp maybe by having a tax discount or waiver for training camp moved to their state), etc.

Oh an Taxachutes has no trouble attracting players with players even taking salary cuts but that might be due to director of spying having videos he threaten to release to tmz.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Since a player can be cut before salary is earned only taxes they would pay would be on signing bonuses (I am sure states would argue all of that is taxable in that state), workout bonuses (a state could attract a training camp maybe by having a tax discount or waiver for training camp moved to their state), etc.

Excluding signing bonuses, pretty sure players get 17 checks a year.

The tax issue is a non issue for football players.   For family oriented players Buffalo is a fine place to bring your family.  

Three things hold Buffalo back in the free agent 

1.  Losing teams and culture of constant rebuild. 

2.  Cold weather

3.  Not a lot of glitz and nightlife. 

Fix number 1 and most of your problems are gone 

There are many players from cold climates and small towns so just build a winner that is run with class and dedicated to winning.  

Player that are enamored by hype and nightlife are not usually the best to have anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I predict people around here will be disappointed by the Bills in free agency.  

1.  They believe in building through the draft.

2.  They don't like big contracts, except for QBs.  (I don'tknow this - I'm guessing.)

3.   They want guys who are willing to buy into the process; a lot of guys don't.  

4.    They don't want guys who aren't good candidates for the process, guys like Ramsey and Beckham.  

I think it all adds up to not many big name guys and more Trent Murphys and the like.  That's the kind of guy they want.   Guys who understand that's who they are will want to play for McDermott, because that's what he appreciates.   

Another reason they will sign less well known players is that they are patient.  They stick to the discipline, too.  They are willing to stay with guys a while because they believe he will grow.   Some coaches would have cut Foster, he looked so bad.  McD was willing to wait.  

Bottom line is I think guys who understand what McBeane are doing, guys who want to be part of that, will come even though it's Buffalo.  They want to be part of the system McBeane are building.  

Whether it works, that's a different question.   Just because you have a system, it doesn't mean that you have the right system.  But they are going to stick with the system, the process, for as long as they're in Buffalo.  And I'd guess the Pegulas gave them at least three years.    

Maybe they focus on more long-term talent through the draft but bring in some more older good players on short term deals.

11 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

11 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The tax issue is a non issue for football players.   For family oriented players Buffalo is a fine place to bring your family.  

2.  Cold weather

There are many players from cold climates and small towns so just build a winner that is run with class and dedicated to winning.  

Player that are enamored by hype and nightlife are not usually the best to have anyway. 

Regarding 1., a lot of decent players are stuck behind top flight players and get little chance to develop and excel.  A losing team, providing them with that opportunity, may well be attractive to them.  One that immediately comes to mind is Kenny Davis.

Edited by Formerly Allan in MD

12 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The cost of living in Western NY is a lot lower, plus the players do get taxed based off of where they play their games, so the games you play in Florida and Texas you don't get taxed on (although of course if you are playing 8 home games a year in a no tax state that's going to result in lower taxes.) But you have to be very naive to think that players care about state taxes that in any meaningful way. NYC, LA, and Chicago have always been high end player destinations across all 4 major sports. All 3 cities are among the highest taxed and most costly place to live in the US.

Young people in their 20's generally speaking want to be where the best nightlife and culture are. That's what attracts them to want to live in a city. So I think major cities will always have an advantage in terms of drawing free agents. If you are 26 and have played in a small market your whole career are you really caring about the state tax or do you want to go to a city where there is a lot of nightlife, women, and things to do with the money you make? 

Of course winning is a big part of it too. But I think if I am ranking reasons for free agents to make their choice in where to play I would put state taxes and cost of living at the bottom of the list. 

If you make 8 million dollars per year a 5% difference in taxes is 400,000.  The fact that a dinner out costs $20 instead of $40 (cost of living) is barely a rounding error compared to the taxes. These guys aren't moving to bump there salary from 75K to 100K

8 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

2.  Cold weather

....agree that is #1......and #3 is a valid point......when Drury was a Sabres FA, his wife threatened him if he re-signed with Sabres.......so he ends up in the Big Apple with the Rangers, solving "wife problem"......when the late Ralph Wilson decided to go "all in", he offered Cowher $10 mil/yr as Bills HC......Cowher's late wife flatly refused to live in Buffalo........yet on the flip side.......when Mario was to visit Buffalo, his pre-arranged first stop was Jimbo Kelly's house....Jimbo was chomping at the bit waiting as there were deer and wild turkeys in his back yard that he wanted Mario to see, who was an avid hunter?......did that seal the deal?.......probably not...."payola" sure helped......and he bought the house across the cul-de-sac from Kelly..

21 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Most of these guys rent, so that isn't important to them.  Plus they should worry about trying to get their money back if the buy a Buffalo mansion and then try to sell it.

A question for Beane:  does any free agent ever say "who's your QB?"

Winning is nice, but it's really about the take home dollars.

Why wouldn't a free agent know who the qb is on a pro team? And winning helps out endorsements. A lot of athletes make more money in endorsements than they do in salary.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I bet the plan is to divert some stadium renovation funds, and direct them to upgrades at Dave & Busters plus Happy Hour subsidies at Applebees. What Free Agent wouldn’t be sold on THAT?  The is an extremely clever FO!   

I predict a Super Bowl!!!

(For two as yet unnamed teams.)