Brandon Beane on How Buffalo Can Be a Free Agent Destination

26CornerBlitz

Bills GM Brandon Beane on how Buffalo can be free agent destination

broncos-bills-football-0e0a2cc4f70676b3.

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- One of the top priorities for Buffalo Bills general manager Brandon Beane this upcoming offseason is to bring in players to upgrade an offense that's been among the two or three worst in the NFL all season.

Buffalo isn't usually a popular choice when potential free agents start narrowing down the list of teams they're considering. But there are teams in cities with similar drawbacks that get players to sign.

Beane, who recognized the perception of Buffalo before he even took the job, said a major key to drawing free agent attention is being able to impress when answering the question: "Who's your quarterback?"

"I think if you have a franchise quarterback ... you look at Green Bay. They had (Brett) Favre and then they handed it right over to (Aaron) Rodgers," Beane told NYUP.com on Friday. "That's a very attractive place and they have a similar climate that we have."

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They won't be the only team with plenty of cap room in 2019.  There will be other factors for players to consider.

True, and he's right about the QB situation too. But the cap space sure helps.

Edited by WhoTom

Income tax rates will play a factor when Free Agents look at Buffalo contract offers. NY taxes are among the highest in the country.

Players will pay NY rates for 10 games a year (8 home games, 2 preseason).

Players in Washington (though Seattle city limits has big taxes), Texas,  Nevada, Florida pay ZERO income taxes.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, boater said:

Income tax rates will play a factor when Free Agents look at Buffalo contract offers. NY taxes are among the highest in the country.

Players in Washington (though Seattle city limits has big taxes), Texas,  Nevada, Florida pay ZERO income taxes.

True, but also consider that your real estate dollar goes further in Buffalo than in just about any other NFL city, excepting Detroit. 

That being said, NY taxes on an NFL salary are probably worth more $$$ than most mansions. 

They got the 90 million.......but the reason may end up being Josh Allen

Because the jets ALSO have a lot of cap room.....but our drafted qb looks better then their drafted QB and their HC might be getting fired which makes us more stable.

THAT is why you dont continue to recycle coaching staffs every 3 years......free agents look at those things as well

5 minutes ago, jr1 said:

they need a dome

Well yeah, but don’t pin your hopes on that to lure free agents.

Land acquisition, environmental impact studies, stadium design, redesigning and building new roads for ingress/egress, and inevitable public hearings and construction delays all point to a 5-7 year time frame before the Bills play their first game in a new domed stadium, so any free agents we acquire in the next year or two will probably be nearing retirement or out of football entirely.

JMO.

48 minutes ago, boater said:

We wont be getting a lot of free agents anyway....I bet most of that money goes to extensions of our own good players and they will selectively target the key free agents.....and find more guys on the 1 year deals.

I feel like they have a list of what is needed anyway.....and still plan on biulding through the draft like they have the last 2 years

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We wont be getting a lot of free agents anyway....I bet most of that money goes to extensions of our own good players and they will selectively target the key free agents.....and find more guys on the 1 year deals.

I feel like they have a list of what is needed anyway.....and still plan on biulding through the draft like they have the last 2 years

After reading that article I also wouldn't be surprised if they tried to make a move trade wise for a big name that might be available. Whom that could be I'm not sure, but the mention of the Packers' model does make you think. 

Edited by H2o

1 hour ago, skibum said:

True, but also consider that your real estate dollar goes further in Buffalo than in just about any other NFL city, excepting Detroit. 

That being said, NY taxes on an NFL salary are probably worth more $$$ than most mansions. 

The NFL salary cap should adjust for state and local taxes. One purpose of the cap is to maintain competitive balance. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, boater said:

The cost of living in Western NY is a lot lower, plus the players do get taxed based off of where they play their games, so the games you play in Florida and Texas you don't get taxed on (although of course if you are playing 8 home games a year in a no tax state that's going to result in lower taxes.) But you have to be very naive to think that players care about state taxes that in any meaningful way. NYC, LA, and Chicago have always been high end player destinations across all 4 major sports. All 3 cities are among the highest taxed and most costly place to live in the US.

Young people in their 20's generally speaking want to be where the best nightlife and culture are. That's what attracts them to want to live in a city. So I think major cities will always have an advantage in terms of drawing free agents. If you are 26 and have played in a small market your whole career are you really caring about the state tax or do you want to go to a city where there is a lot of nightlife, women, and things to do with the money you make? 

Of course winning is a big part of it too. But I think if I am ranking reasons for free agents to make their choice in where to play I would put state taxes and cost of living at the bottom of the list. 

• Like (+1) 1

For those with kids schools are very important and Western New York outside of Buffalo have some of the best schools in the country.  Yes some put kids in private schools (and there are good ones in WNY) but from what I have seen NFL players seem to prefer public schools.

Florida has some of the worst public schools.

If I’m a wide receiver and I have any speed to my game whatsoever I am absolutely coming to buffalo. With that cannon Allen has somebody like a Kenny stills or John Brown would be destined for bigtime highlight reel touchdowns and celebrations. 

I would be excited about the chance to be the #1 guy and build a rapport with a young quarterback like Allen. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

If I’m a wide receiver and I have any speed to my game whatsoever I am absolutely coming to buffalo. With that cannon Allen has somebody like a Kenny stills or John Brown would be destined for bigtime highlight reel touchdowns and celebrations. 

I would be excited about the chance to be the #1 guy and build a rapport with a young quarterback like Allen. 

I like the idea of getting either Stills or John Brown. Use our first round pick on the best WR in the draft and then go OL in rounds 2 and 3. 

2 hours ago, boater said:

When was the last time a Florida or Texas team has won anything? Tampa in early 2000’s and Nevada doesn’t have a team at this moment.  California has extremely high taxes and look everyone wants to play for the rams. It’s all about the quarterback. If you have one they will come!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, skibum said:

Most of these guys rent, so that isn't important to them.  Plus they should worry about trying to get their money back if the buy a Buffalo mansion and then try to sell it.

A question for Beane:  does any free agent ever say "who's your QB?"

2 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

When was the last time a Florida or Texas team has won anything? Tampa in early 2000’s and Nevada doesn’t have a team at this moment.  California has extremely high taxes and look everyone wants to play for the rams. It’s all about the quarterback. If you have one they will come!

Winning is nice, but it's really about the take home dollars.

34 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The cost of living in Western NY is a lot lower, plus the players do get taxed based off of where they play their games, so the games you play in Florida and Texas you don't get taxed on (although of course if you are playing 8 home games a year in a no tax state that's going to result in lower taxes.) But you have to be very naive to think that players care about state taxes that in any meaningful way. NYC, LA, and Chicago have always been high end player destinations across all 4 major sports. All 3 cities are among the highest taxed and most costly place to live in the US.

This is exactly it.  Thanks for putting it up here.  Now that I'm as old as my father was when he passed away, I understand the Upstate New York pastime of bitching about taxes.  Jesus, it's like whining about the weather in November.  Duh.  Taxes are high.  And the schools are damn good and you get healthcare for your pre-existing conditions.

When these kids are in their 20s and making league minimum - which is like 8 million times more than I'll ever make in my life - the LAST thing they're worried about is a 5% differential between New York and Tennessee.  I mean - just knock it off.  Go back to bitching about taxes.

And get off of my lawn.