Brandon Beane on How Buffalo Can Be a Free Agent Destination

26CornerBlitz

22 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m not 100% sold on using a first round pick on a receiver. Not sure anyone is “elite” yet. I think we’re seeing a new trend for the league where you don’t need a true #1 guy. Just an array of weapons. A good quarterback will make a receiver look like a #1 but give him multiple weapons and he can make them all look kinda great. Unlike some of our posters on this board I do have faith beane can judge the talent and take an elite prospect in the 1st. I’ll trust his judgement on whoever he picks. 

What if its a punter

I'm not sure how much of an advantage Buffalo's reasonably priced housing market can be considered.  Unless players come into Buffalo thinking they are buying their forever home, they have to know that if they can buy it cheap, they probably aren't going to be able to sell it for a high price.  Profit only happens when you can buy low and sell high.  I'm sure taxes (property and state income are at least a small issue.  Then is perceived climate, salary potential, potential of winning championships, and team climate.  Obviously with the available cap space, Buffalo will have no problem paying market rates for players.  The perception is that there is a pretty favorable locker room environment.  The QB situation and championship potential is a pretty subjective thing to try and assess.  If a prospective free agent thinks highly of Josh Allen's potential (and some may) Buffalo becomes a strong candidate.  Of course the QB situation and championship potential are closely related.  All in all, I think Buffalo is in a position to be fairly competitive, especially with the high football character type guys the administration seems to favor.  They certainly are not at the top of the heap though.  Until proven otherwise, New England is still going to be able to sign guys to fill roles at below market prices as long as prospective free agents think they will be favorites to win the next Super Bowl.

Buffalo has never had a problem signing free agents. There is only so much money that can be spent. Have a franchise QB on a rookie deal and you are doubly set.

There is no truth to any of this destination crap. Otherwise Miami, LA and NY would be the only cities signing free agents. Players are just like the rest of the world. Some come from small towns and like small towns. Some don't want a night life. Some do. 

The only real factor is money.

Player’s wives can be a factor too.  I know Cowher wouldn’t consider coaching here because his wife was adamant that she’d never move to Buffalo.

When we recruited Terrell Owens, the Bills pulled out all the stops, flew him here on Ralph’s jet, took him to Tempo and when he stayed another day and called his wife to come check out houses and see the city, Ralph sent the jet to get her.  That’s when I knew we had him.

The Pegulas have those same resources, and the Bills have 90 $million in cap room.  They can make a big splash in the free agent market, if they want to.

Edited by The Senator

On 11/30/2018 at 8:02 PM, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Packers, with winning teams, have continually lost prime players to free agency. 

Because they didn't pay them what they wanted.  NFL is business.  Pay and they stay or will show up to your city to play.   There are only so many jobs and so many cities available to work in.  Each team has a salary cap and that will also limit the available opportunities based on where individual teams stand with it.  $$$>Winning>City.   Folks are way overthinking this thing.  If Allen plays well down the stretch, and the Bills play well as a team, Beane will be fine come FA time. 

Edited by purple haze

On 11/30/2018 at 6:40 PM, John from Riverside said:

We wont be getting a lot of free agents anyway....I bet most of that money goes to extensions of our own good players and they will selectively target the key free agents.....and find more guys on the 1 year deals.

I feel like they have a list of what is needed anyway.....and still plan on biulding through the draft like they have the last 2 years

Fine by me. Free agents generally underperform anyway. Although Star has been a good addition and Murphy except for his injuries. Would love to see what he could do if totally healthy for a season.

Something needs to be done at Tight End!

On 11/30/2018 at 6:34 PM, John from Riverside said:

They got the 90 million.......but the reason may end up being Josh Allen

Because the jets ALSO have a lot of cap room.....but our drafted qb looks better then their drafted QB and their HC might be getting fired which makes us more stable.

THAT is why you dont continue to recycle coaching staffs every 3 years......free agents look at those things as well

So your saying the Browns should have stuck with Hue Jackson? 

Allen is a big attraction indeed to any speedy deep threat receiver. Olinemen will follow the money. The "nightlife" is overblown for most vets. Of course, some love that stuff but there's not a lot. As examples, Shady and Gronk know how to party offseason and remain focused inseason.

I'd add to the list that the national media don't seem to focus much on the Bills so those craving stardom and sponsorship will hesitate. Winning would fix a lot of that of course, but small out of the way cold area = fewer journalists and coverage.

Still, overall it's not as bad as most make it out to be. It comes down to a chance to shine so coaches, reputation, QB, etc. matter more than other factors. Nothing some money won't fix.

As for taxes, how can some States have zero income taxes? They have higher sales taxes? I mean they have to get money to provide services!

On 12/1/2018 at 4:32 AM, PlayoffsPlease said:

If you make 8 million dollars per year a 5% difference in taxes is 400,000.  The fact that a dinner out costs $20 instead of $40 (cost of living) is barely a rounding error compared to the taxes. These guys aren't moving to bump there salary from 75K to 100K

Yes but the fact that your house costs 400k less that's a big difference, you are right in the day to day stuff is a rounding error but bigger things like housing are probably significantly lower in Buffalo than most major metro areas that host NFL teams. 

Honestly taxes and other trivial things are so far down on the list of why players want to play for a team.