Chiefs release Kareem Hunt after video from February incident surfaces

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I do often waffle back and forth about how much the nfl should really be investigating employees off field beyond mandatory reporting of any arrests/charges to the league. 

At this point hunt wouldve been better off if handled handled differently by HIMSELF, right?

It's the price these institutions pay for being in the public eye nowadays.

30 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I do often waffle back and forth about how much the nfl should really be investigating employees off field beyond mandatory reporting of any arrests/charges to the league. 

At this point hunt wouldve been better off if handled handled differently by HIMSELF, right?

The problem the NFL faces at this point in time is, IMO, inconsistency.

They can't claim "zero tolerance" for violence or assault, do little/nothing to investigate Hunt, then act only when video turns up in the public eye.

They need to either take incidents more seriously and perform a real investigation from the get-go, or they need to go with actual convictions.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The problem the NFL faces at this point in time is, IMO, inconsistency.

They can't claim "zero tolerance" for violence or assault, do little/nothing to investigate Hunt, then act only when video turns up in the public eye.

They need to either take incidents more seriously and perform a real investigation from the get-go, or they need to go with actual convictions.

It sounds like they are moving toward this policy, which is fine. But a video changes everything because they can't ignore the court of public opinion.  

One problem with that policy (which not necessarily the NFL's fault), is that athletes get away with things they shouldn't, as was clearly the case with the police investigation in this event.

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

It sounds like they are moving toward this policy, which is fine. But a video changes everything because they can't ignore the court of public opinion.  

One problem with that policy (which not necessarily the NFL's fault), is that athletes get away with things they shouldn't, as was clearly the case with the police investigation in this event.

Agreed with the latter.

As to the former - if the NFL is going to let video and the court of public opinion change what they do, then they are going to continue to look "lukewarm" and hypocritical.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed with the latter.

As to the former - if the NFL is going to let video and the court of public opinion change what they do, then they are going to continue to look "lukewarm" and hypocritical.

I personally have no problem with the league holding players to a higher standard of accountability than do the courts. As noted earlier it’s becoming pro forma wrt public perception, and these decisions are mostly made with an eye toward revenue. 

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I personally have no problem with the league holding players to a higher standard of accountability than do the courts. As noted earlier it’s becoming pro forma wrt public perception, and these decisions are mostly made with an eye toward revenue. 

I have no problem with that decision either.  My point is I think the league has to pick: either or, not both (depending upon the PR "look")

They can either hold players to a higher standard, in which case they need to require players to report all incidents where law inforcement is called and investigate all incidents immediately and thoroughly.

Or, they need to take a uniform policy "we don't care if there's video, we're going to let law enforcement procedings drive ours"

As it is, they are appearing to be hypocritical and reactive: "pics, or it never happened" as it were.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

If that happened behind closed doors, he'd be admonished but certainly not banished from the league.

I'm not absolving him of guilt or blame, but that seems fundamentally unfair.

....for what is NOW perceived to be a MAJOR issue, something isn't passing the smell test as far as it occurring in February......why ten months later?.......

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....for what is NOW perceived to be a MAJOR issue, something isn't passing the smell test as far as it occurring in February......why ten months later?.......

TMZ paid big $ for the video?

Just now, row_33 said:

TMZ paid big $ for the video?

...think you pretty much NAILED it bud......somebody had the video and wanted to turn a "quick buck".......and with TMZ, today's electronic rag like yesteryear's National Enquirer (remember reading the salacious headlines in line at the grocery store??),they had their check book ready....it was reported that the Chiefs cut him because he lied to them when questioned back in February....tell the truth and perhaps they handle it internally with a one or two game "conduct detrimental" suspension..and now it is reported that the NFL received Cleveland PD report voluntarily back in February....with 10 months going by, sounds like they put their heads in the sand hoping it would go away......only to NOW make Goober Goodell's "exempt list".......makes perfect sense (COUGH)...........

Steve Almasy, CNN- Updated 7:56 PM ET, Wed December 5, 2018

(CNN)A day after indicating a formal NFL request for information on an alleged physical assault involving star running back Kareem Hunt didn't occur until last week, Cleveland police said Wednesday the league was given a copy of the police report in February.

The report did not go through the official public records request process, police said on their website. Instead a member of the Cleveland Division of Police gave the report to an NFL representative.

On Tuesday, police had said the league didn't make a formal request for records or body camera video until Friday.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...think you pretty much NAILED it bud......somebody had the video and wanted to turn a "quick buck".......and with TMZ, today's electronic rag like yesteryear's National Enquirer (remember reading the salacious headlines in line at the grocery store??),they had their check book ready....it was reported that the Chiefs cut him because he lied to them when questioned back in February....tell the truth and perhaps they handle it internally with a one or two game "conduct detrimental" suspension..and now it is reported that the NFL received Cleveland PD report voluntarily back in February....with 10 months going by, sounds like they put their heads in the sand hoping it would go away......only to NOW make Goober Goodell's "exempt list".......makes perfect sense (COUGH)...........

Steve Almasy, CNN- Updated 7:56 PM ET, Wed December 5, 2018

(CNN)A day after indicating a formal NFL request for information on an alleged physical assault involving star running back Kareem Hunt didn't occur until last week, Cleveland police said Wednesday the league was given a copy of the police report in February.

The report did not go through the official public records request process, police said on their website. Instead a member of the Cleveland Division of Police gave the report to an NFL representative.

On Tuesday, police had said the league didn't make a formal request for records or body camera video until Friday.

To be fair, it’s pretty obvious from all accounts that the police report isn’t very accurate to what the video shows and it very friendly to Hunt’s actions.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have no problem with that decision either.  My point is I think the league has to pick: either or, not both (depending upon the PR "look")

They can either hold players to a higher standard, in which case they need to require players to report all incidents where law inforcement is called and investigate all incidents immediately and thoroughly.

Or, they need to take a uniform policy "we don't care if there's video, we're going to let law enforcement procedings drive ours"

As it is, they are appearing to be hypocritical and reactive: "pics, or it never happened" as it were.

The larger issue is the NFLPA needs to come into the next CBA negotiations with the mindset of putting down very clear guidelines for player conduct and consequences for violations. Until that happens, the league office will continue adjudicating by whatever terms they see fit. They're under no obligation to form ad hoc policy and I think it's unlikely they feel any need to- Goodell has been using very broad, very arbitrary conduct violation authority for years now.  

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think it's BS that they cut Hunt because "he lied to them."

He was cut because of the VIDEO and the PR hit.

Directly, of course you're right.  If the video hadn't come out, the "lied to them" would never have come out.

I have to wonder if there's more to it than we know, though.  I wouldn't think ordinarily "lie and you're OUT" would be applied to a star 2nd year player.

What with the Put-in Bay incident and etc, I wonder if Hunt has an alcohol or substance abuse/anger management issue and the team knew it, and basically said "work on it and be straight with us and we'll make every effort to help you and keep you on the team; lie to us or stop working, and you're gone."

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The larger issue is the NFLPA needs to come into the next CBA negotiations with the mindset of putting down very clear guidelines for player conduct and consequences for violations. Until that happens, the league office will continue adjudicating by whatever terms they see fit. They're under no obligation to form ad hoc policy and I think it's unlikely they feel any need to- Goodell has been using very broad, very arbitrary conduct violation authority for years now.  

Exactly.

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Directly, of course you're right.  If the video hadn't come out, the "lied to them" would never have come out.

I have to wonder if there's more to it than we know, though.  I wouldn't think ordinarily "lie and you're OUT" would be applied to a star 2nd year player.

What with the Put-in Bay incident and etc, I wonder if Hunt has an alcohol or substance abuse/anger management issue and the team knew it, and basically said "work on it and be straight with us and we'll make every effort to help you and keep you on the team; lie to us or stop working, and you're gone."

Exactly.

I get what you're saying, but my opinion is that they wouldn't have released him even if they reasonably concluded he had lied. The tape killed him.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I get what you're saying, but my opinion is that they wouldn't have released him even if they reasonably concluded he had lied. The tape killed him.

How would they know without the tape?

this whole page is filled with people blindly ignoring the fact that a tabloid bought the tape....

I guess they love ignoring facts in life....

6 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

No thanks. Would much rather sign TJ Yeldon and Tevin Coleman and have a RB by committee approach. Think those two could combine for more than Hunt.

Please...it’s fine to not want Hunt because of his misconduct, but don’t pretend he’s not a great talent.  He’s probably the best back in the league.  Coleman and Yeldon are fine, but the don’t equal Hunt.