Chiefs release Kareem Hunt after video from February incident surfaces

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

By the way, I am always amazed how strong a role media outlets like TMZ play in situations like this, Ray Rice etc.  no one seemed to care about this until video surfaced that made it too hard to sweep the offense under the rug. There are other incidents that may be much worse than this (*speculating* like Rueben Foster and Greg Hardy) that don’t get as much attention because you can’t visualize it. As annoying as TMZ is, they do serve a strange purpose when it comes to illuminating bad behavior in public situations.

It's because they're a media outlet that doesn't ask questions. It's not quality journalistic integrity it's just the easiest way to get something out anonymously.. for better or worse.. I suppose for the better but real journalism provides some source

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

By the way, I am always amazed how strong a role media outlets like TMZ play in situations like this, Ray Rice etc.  no one seemed to care about this until video surfaced that made it too hard to sweep the offense under the rug. There are other incidents that may be much worse than this (*speculating* like Rueben Foster and Greg Hardy) that don’t get as much attention because you can’t visualize it. As annoying as TMZ is, they do serve a strange purpose when it comes to illuminating bad behavior in public situations.

The problem for the NFL from a PR standpoint is that it’s apparently so easy to expose the league’s hypocrisy on this issue, that a run of the mill sleazy tabloid like TMZ can make a cottage industry out of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is not even in the same realm as the Ray Rice incident. Ray Rice punched his wife in the face knocking her out and dragging her around. In a statement that I read on NFL.com Hunt stated the woman called him a racial slur, the woman claims he was trying to coax her in his room. I mean he's an idiot for doing what he did but you can clearly see from the video Hunt pushing her (boneheaded move) then the girl puts her hand in his face and keeps going after him. This to me is totally different from Rice, the kick at the end was another bone headed move but if he wanted to he could have teed off on her real bad. I'm not condoning his actions here but I don't see this as him being black balled from the league imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

How do Ray Rice and Hunt’s careers get ruined but Joe Mixon got off scotch free?

Hunt's actions are terrible, but I look at Mixon and Hill who by proportion did far worse.

Seems hypocritical that the same Chiefs gave Hill a second chance after punching and choking a pregnant woman, but draw the line at this.

" Former Oklahoma State Cowboys running back Tyreek Hill pleaded guilty on Friday to punching and choking his pregnant girlfriend and received three years of probation, reports Kyle Fredrickson of NewsOK.com. "

https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/08/21/tyreek-hill-oklahoma-state-football-domestic-violence-battery-plea-agreement

Maybe it's because Mixon and Hill's assaults happened before being employees of the NFL and a franchise.

Not a good look or behavior all the way around.

2 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Hunt's actions are terrible, but I look at Mixon and Hill who by proportion did far worse.

Seems hypocritical that the same Chiefs gave Hill a second chance after punching and choking a pregnant woman, but draw the line at this.

" Former Oklahoma State Cowboys running back Tyreek Hill pleaded guilty on Friday to punching and choking his pregnant girlfriend and received three years of probation, reports Kyle Fredrickson of NewsOK.com. "

https://www.si.com/college-football/2015/08/21/tyreek-hill-oklahoma-state-football-domestic-violence-battery-plea-agreement

Maybe it's because Mixon and Hill's assaults happened before being employees of the NFL and a franchise.

Not a good look or behavior all the way around.

It's because Hunt and Rice are on video as high profile popular athletes assaulting citizens in public rather than relatively obscure college kids with co Ed students on campus the big football schools can STFU

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Agree 100%.

Were it not for the media, there would have been no Watergate.  But that’s a PPP topic.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

It's because Hunt and Rice are on video as high profile popular athletes assaulting citizens in public rather than relatively obscure college kids with co Ed students on campus the big football schools can STFU

disagree on the Joe Mixon incident, caught on tape.

video

5 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

It's because they're a media outlet that doesn't ask questions. It's not quality journalistic integrity it's just the easiest way to get something out anonymously.. for better or worse.. I suppose for the better but real journalism provides some source

I know for a fact that there were lots of bad apples in professional sports “back in the day” and their behavior would surely have gotten them in trouble by todays standards. But for the most part, the media protected celebrities unless their actions were so egregious that they could no longer remain silent. The media was “on the inside” back in the day. 

Now a days, anyone with a cell phone or with acces to video cameras are a “reporter” and believe it is their obligation to share what they see, and their right to benefit from the attention  it brings, regardless of the end result. There is no more media protection. This is probably a good thing, but I still miss the days of blissful ignorance.

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Awe Jesus I didn't want to see that!

Yeah, not good.

Going back to the point, Mixon still got drafted and has a job. Neither video looked good for Hunt or Mixon.

And KC is sending mixed messages regarding their actions with Hunt and Hill.

5 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

disagree on the Joe Mixon incident, caught on tape.

video

Mixon got a pass because it happened before his career started and people could excuse it by saying “he was a kid that made a mistake” 

i dont agree, but that’s what happened. Had he done that in his rookie season, his career would have been over before it ever started.

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

If anyone needs a breather from this joyless topic, check out the Robert Foster thread next door—highly recommended and should restore some seasonal cheer!!

Thank you...I’m done with this thread.

I just can’t believe that so many of the posters I’ve become familiar with over the years, are poo-pooing this thug’s most egregious offense against a 19 year old girl.

I’m out.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Yeah, not good.

Going back to the point, Mixon still got drafted and has a job. Neither video looked good for Hunt or Mixon.

And KC is sending mixed messages regarding their actions with Hunt and Hill.

Yeah I googled Hill's story and had no idea. that sucked too (an understatement).

Guess it matters more when you're assaulting while actually repping a pro team rather than before signing.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What he did was wrong!   But he pushed the dude not the chick and he happened to fall on the girl.

And the Kick to the girl really wasn't a forceful kick it and I doubt caused a bruise.

Don't get me wrong, I don't condone it but it wasn't a "brutal" attack whatsoever.   I believe he deserves suspension but it shouldn't be career threatening.  In this day in age, he will face tremendous public blowback and he'll never live it down with a sizable segment of the population, that and his dismissal of the Chiefs and inevitable league suspension should be enough punishment for his actions.

Edited by Magox

I do wonder how this optic changes if it’s man in the confrontation... not that I am excusing the behavior, but aren’t we supposed to believe that men and women are 100% equal now and have the same exact rights and that it’s sexist to treat them differently? 

If that’s the case, it’s really just a brawl and should get him a week long suspension. 

Kareem is an idiot for coming out of that room and stirring up trouble. The fact that he initiated contact is pretty damning. Worse still is that he (supposedly) lied about it. I don’t think it’s enough to end his career, but the negative publicity of it might make it so.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I do wonder how this optic changes if it’s man in the confrontation... not that I am excusing the behavior, but aren’t we supposed to believe that men and women are 100% equal now and have the same exact rights and that it’s sexist to treat them differently? 

If that’s the case, it’s really just a brawl and should get him a week long suspension. 

Kareem is an idiot for coming out of that room and stirring up trouble. The fact that he initiated contact is pretty damning. Worse still is that he (supposedly) lied about it. I don’t think it’s enough to end his career, but the negative publicity of it might make it so.

I understand your argument, but would disagree because men are physically superior to women when it comes to strength.  A lot of us were raised never to hit a woman for that very reason.  Hunt pry had twice her weight and at least four times her strength.  I don't think it should be acceptable for a woman to hit a man though and men are probably less likely to report that out of fear that the cops and their buddies will laugh at them.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

What he did was wrong!   But he pushed the dude not the chick and he happened to fall on the girl.

And the Kick to the girl really wasn't a forceful kick it and I doubt caused a bruise.

Don't get me wrong, I don't condone it but it wasn't a "brutal" attack whatsoever.   I believe he deserves suspension but it shouldn't be career threatening.  In this day in age, he will face tremendous public blowback and he'll never live it down with a sizable segment of the population, that and his dismissal of the Chiefs and inevitable league suspension should be enough punishment for his actions.

He also pushed her at the beginning, but I agree that the Chiefs cutting him right away seemed like an overreaction.  It's their prerogative.  However, something tells me if it was Patrick Mahomes instead of Hunt then he'd still be on the team.

Edited by Doc Brown

7 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

When females get drunk they are violent.

This is actually truth. It’s part of a larger societal disease in this country, and its roots are in third wave (and possibly even second wave) feminism.

4 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Get er done.    Shady is getting old 

Lol they see him trollin they hatin 

31 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I understand you're argument, but would disagree because men are physically superior to women when it comes to strength.  A lot of us were raised never to hit a woman for that very reason.  Hunt pry had twice her weight and at least four times her strength.  I don't think it should be acceptable for a woman to hit a man though and men are probably less likely to report that out of fear that the cops and their buddies will laugh at them.

ative.  

I definitely agree. Just pointing to the hypocrisy of modern thought regarding such things.