Bills alltime record vs. Dolphins

Seems like we've been beating the Fins pretty steadily since Jim Kelly arrived.  I know we lost 20 in a row in the 70's but in checking  we are still 47-60-1 against our rivals.  Will we ever catch up?  I'd like to think that with the maturity of Josh Allen and our offense improving, we could start dominating our division the way the Pats have since 2001 and maybe even out those records.  While I was at it, I noticed the Pats hold the edge 73-43-1.  The only team in our division we have a winning record against is the Jets 62-54. 

26 minutes ago, Dave in Bluffton said:

Seems like we've been beating the Fins pretty steadily since Jim Kelly arrived.  I know we lost 20 in a row in the 70's but in checking  we are still 47-60-1 against our rivals.  Will we ever catch up?  I'd like to think that with the maturity of Josh Allen and our offense improving, we could start dominating our division the way the Pats have since 2001 and maybe even out those records.  While I was at it, I noticed the Pats hold the edge 73-43-1.  The only team in our division we have a winning record against is the Jets 62-54. 

start dominating like the Pats have since 2001?

are you high?

i'd settle for a decent 2 year run, starting in 2020

We have won 7 of last 10 since 2013 season.  They swept us in 2016 - Rex's last year.  Seems they struggle versus a 4-3 D like what McD and Schwartz run.

Kelly era Bills went 17-8 versus Fins counting playoff games.  

Since Kelly retired Bills hold 22-20 regular season series advantage with one playoff loss (Flutie red Zone Sack/fumble) after 1998 season.    It's actually been pretty even over last 21 years.  

I picked a split in my season record pick at start of year and still see it that way.  We lose there and win at home.

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I would definitely say the Dolphins are the Bills biggest rival.  In the sense that it’s been pretty even back and forth over the last 30 or 40 years.  I mean I know about the 70s but since then the Bills have had the upper hand imo 

Respectfully disagree here. They haven't been competitive at the same time for almost 20 years now. Obviously, beating them in the finale last year helped get us into the playoffs, but they threw in the towel after Cutler's first series. That game aside, it's hard to remember many meaningful games between the two teams in recent memory. I think the Jags are the main rival right now.

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

I would definitely say the Dolphins are the Bills biggest rival.  In the sense that it’s been pretty even back and forth over the last 30 or 40 years.  I mean I know about the 70s but since then the Bills have had the upper hand imo 

only during the Kelly/Marino years was it a true contest that mattered.

2 hours ago, freddyjj said:

We have won 7 of last 10 since 2013 season.  They swept us in 2016 - Rex's last year.  Seems they struggle versus a 4-3 D like what McD and Schwartz run.

Kelly era Bills went 17-8 versus Fins counting playoff games.  

Since Kelly retired Bills hold 22-20 regular season series advantage with one playoff loss (Flutie red Zone Sack/fumble) after 1998 season.    It's actually been pretty even over last 21 years.  

I picked a split in my season record pick at start of year and still see it that way.  We lose there and win at home.

....good analysis....thanks for info.....

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 losses in the 70s and then the down period in the mid 80s pre Kelly really gives them an edge. I sat through that entire 70s decade and it was very frustrating. We could just never get past them. Sometime the refs made sure of that. I still get mad thinking about the Pat Toomey game and the BS that went into that call. Beating them in 1980 with the fans tearing down the goalposts was a fantastic moment.

4 minutes ago, GRHater69 said:

20 losses in the 70s and then the down period in the mid 80s pre Kelly really gives them an edge. I sat through that entire 70s decade and it was very frustrating. We could just never get past them. Sometime the refs made sure of that. I still get mad thinking about the Pat Toomey game and the BS that went into that call. Beating them in 1980 with the fans tearing down the goalposts was a fantastic moment.

...so in other words, "Some things NEVER change", right?....40+ years later and technology galore and they still eff up......soldier on I guess...............

Back then it was worse because Shula was on the competition committee so we always thought Miami got the benefit of close calls. But that game was a joke. To flag a player for unsportsmanlike conduct while he's trying to make a play and get into a pile where there's a loose ball was BS.  The ref for that game got demoted a few season later, but now his vindictive son is an official in the NFL.

3 hours ago, Dave in Bluffton said:

If you ignore the 70s, Bills are 7 games up on Miami which makes sense given the Kelly era run.  I would have expected at least that good vs NE pre BB, but the Bills actually had a losing record.