View From the Other Side: Phins view of Allen

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/11/28/18114783/opposing-player-spotlight-week-13-buffalo-bills-josh-allen-quarterback-miami-dolphins

Through recent years, the Dolphins have been torched on the ground by mobile quarterbacks. Two years ago it was Colin Kaepernick with the 49ers. Last season it was Cam Newton with the Panthers. This year, Mitchell Trubisky and Deshaun Watson both had their way with the defense running the football and evading defenders.

With Allen averaging almost seven rush attempts and over 36 rushing yards per contest, the Dolphins can’t let the athletic gunslinger evade the pass rush and make plays outside the pocket. Miami’s edge rushers and linebackers need to contain Allen and force him to make throws from between the numbers, letting the secondary make plays when he inevitably throws a few errant passes. Putting pressure on the rookie is the best way to force those errors. Allen has been sacked an average of three times per game. Cameron Wake, Robert Quinn, Charles Harris, and Andre Branch need to take advantage of an o-line that’s been prone to letting their quarterback take a few hits.

I actually think pressure is where Allen does best.  He has the pocket presence to sidestep the bull rush. He is not the most accurate thrower when given time. Every time Allen scrambles though, something magical appears to be waiting to happen.

Allen is like a foot taller than everyone trying to tackle him, it's comical. Next year he better not run like that though but I completely agree with him doing it in his rookie year. Eventually you'd like to see him give his RB a chance to take some of these dumpoffs for 7-10 yards. Some QBs dump off 125 times a year to their RBs, Allen never does it. He's leaving lots of easy yards on the table.

10 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Every time Allen scrambles though, something magical appears to be waiting to happen.

CTE awaits him should he continue to do so.

tenor.gif?itemid=11918102

Not too mention the other broken body parts he'll enjoy doing so.

Edited by I am the egg man

39 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

I still can't believe the Jags didn't put a spy on him. I fully expect Miami to do so. Even so, it better be someone who's fast because Josh was outrunning Jacksonville's LB's with ease.

Allen can throw the ball on a rope 70 yards if they spy him they are giving up a guy in coverage. Given our receivers though that's probably the lesser of the two issues, Allen running is probably a bigger threat so maybe your right. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I actually think pressure is where Allen does best.  He has the pocket presence to sidestep the bull rush. He is not the most accurate thrower when given time. Every time Allen scrambles though, something magical appears to be waiting to happen.

That is exactly how he operated in Wyoming

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

https://www.thephinsider.com/2018/11/28/18114783/opposing-player-spotlight-week-13-buffalo-bills-josh-allen-quarterback-miami-dolphins

I agree, though I wonder how much of that is still because he's a rookie with potential and that's what we get excited for, and how much of it is just him playing the position making us feel that way.

Either way, our receivers lose that much more from their gas tanks every time he scrambles...it's fine to have a QB that can extend plays, but when you literally live off of scrambling on the majority of passing downs, that means your receivers are running broken routes for that much longer as well. Come the third and fourth quarter when you need separation outside the numbers and on deep middle routes, it won't be there. You want to have confidence in your QB to execute the game plan, not the broken game plan because you held the ball for too long. 

No one minds Allen scrambling to extend plays as long as he also completes the passes and plays 3-5 seconds after the snap. While he did do better in this regard, you also see him staring down the rush and missing open receivers - a la KB was open on a mesh route while Allen focused on Smith/Jack blitzing. 

Edited by ctk232

3 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I still can't believe the Jags didn't put a spy on him. I fully expect Miami to do so. Even so, it better be someone who's fast because Josh was outrunning Jacksonville's LB's with ease.

I think the spy is going to be Kiko.....and if he takes a cheap shot at our QB I hope Teller buries him in the ground

47 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

I agree, though I wonder how much of that is still because he's a rookie with potential and that's what we get excited for, and how much of it is just him playing the position making us feel that way.

Either way, our receivers lose that much more from their gas tanks every time he scrambles...it's fine to have a QB that can extend plays, but when you literally live off of scrambling on the majority of passing downs, that means your receivers are running broken routes for that much longer as well. Come the third and fourth quarter when you need separation outside the numbers and on deep middle routes, it won't be there. You want to have confidence in your QB to execute the game plan, not the broken game plan because you held the ball for too long. 

No one minds Allen scrambling to extend plays as long as he also completes the passes and plays 3-5 seconds after the snap. While he did do better in this regard, you also see him staring down the rush and missing open receivers - a la KB was open on a mesh route while Allen focused on Smith/Jack blitzing. 

I think that Josh takes defenses by suprise with his running abililty

"he isnt going to make that first down.....he isnt Cam"

"HTF DID HE SCORE ON THAT"

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He definitely does for his size - and I love that he's not afraid to tuck it and run, creates crazy scheming issues for opposing defenses. Just hope he doesn't catch the injury bug doing it. I'd still like to see him develop in his other key areas - but not down on him by any means. 

4 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

He definitely does for his size - and I love that he's not afraid to tuck it and run, creates crazy scheming issues for opposing defenses. Just hope he doesn't catch the injury bug doing it. I'd still like to see him develop in his other key areas - but not down on him by any means. 

I dont want to see these schemed runs with him........the stuff where he scrambles I can live with....the guy is a clydesdale and needs to be throwing from the pocket (when there is one)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont want to see these schemed runs with him........the stuff where he scrambles I can live with....the guy is a clydesdale and needs to be throwing from the pocket (when there is one)

Oh for sure, I meant more of a nightmare for defenses to scheme against. His ability to run only benefits him if he primarily relies on passing and can effectively hurt a defense there. When you effectively establish the pass, you leave more opportunity to run for big gains on third downs like he did Sunday.

He made improvements in the pocket on Sunday but this is where i want to see him grow the most. Effectively addressing the OL this offseason should only help in this regard.

I'd honestly like to see him run less, only to escape pressure. Take out the designed runs. That's what we have RBs for. I can see the occasional QB draw once in a while, but don't get him hurt by making his running a part of the offense until he gets the hang of avoiding taking unnecessary hits

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, CLTbills said:

A spy is great for us.  We have more open targets then getting open.  He just has to continue to be decisive.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think the spy is going to be Kiko.....and if he takes a cheap shot at our QB I hope Teller buries him in the ground

I wonder if Kiko has the discipline for that job? 

If I’m Miami I play all man-to-man.  Make the Bills receivers beat you and of they do get open force Allen to fit the ball in tight windows.  Houston had a lot of success doing this a few weeks ago.  Of course the difference is Allen has more experience, faster receivers and a somewhat better OL.  

If Josh can play a good game against this defense, I will be pretty pleased 

13 hours ago, ctk232 said:

First of all our receivers don't get seperation. Secondly KB would have dropped it. Any more what ifs?

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Do you actually know what a Clydesdale is? I have never seen one run away from everyone for 45 yards. Some of you haters come up with the damndest things. Laughable.

• Haha (+1) 1