Is Vander Eshe to Edmunds the same as Juju to Zay

Teddy KGB

On 11/30/2018 at 5:03 AM, oldmanfan said:

Guys, come on.  Have we really reached such a stage in society, have we really gotten to a point where our patience is so limited that one game from a player tells you that he is so much better than another guy?  VanderEsche had a good game last night from what I've read.  So Edmunds has shown he's coming along as a 20 year old rookie.

It is entirely possible that they both are going to be very good.  We have to stop thinking that everything is an either/or, bad or good choice in life.  Sometimes you can have two good things at once, or two bad things, or whatever.

Right? I honestly can't get past these conversations of "did we bust with Edmunds"...while nothing is guaranteed yet, for both Edmunds and LVE, there's no reason anyone should be comparing first season production between the two. 

People overlook just how much his age plays a factor in these conversations. At 20 years old, Edmunds has simply played at least one or two years less football in his entire life than other LBs and NFL players in the league, in general. While other players have seen another two years of football over the course of their lives, they've been able to simply absorb more of the game at various levels. Even though that alone won't account for every discrepancy, you also have to consider the fact that at 20 years old, he still has room left for physical development beyond what he's currently at. Before I get berated by the physicians of the board, I realize his growth spurt and adolescent development are all but over, but for him to be entering the league at 20 will allow him to physically adapt to the game better, and if all goes well, for a longer career than most other peers including those from his draft class. Mentally, he's still developing and the ceiling of growth here far exceeds that of his physical growth, and certainly in comparison to others in the league. 

Beyond the physical limitations of his age and subsequent experience, you will certainly need to consider the scheme in which both play in, the surrounding help, and how much of the defensive playcall is their responsibility. While I would need to look into these aspects more deeply for a solid comparison, the differences will be important to note.

Lastly, and most important - to have these conversations after only one year is beyond ridiculous. Either could tear their ACL next year or have a career ending injury. LVE could regress while Tre takes off, and vice versa. Scheme changes in defense on either team due to coaching turnover may force regression on either or both, or expose weaknesses made null by previous schemes. Anything is still possible, and while we know more now than we did at the beginning of the season, there is no evidence at present as to how either will ultimately pan out. 

On 11/30/2018 at 7:25 AM, Teddy KGB said:

The Juju miss was worse ?

Im trying to give Zay all the slack but I’m gonna need one monster game from him eventually.    Juju is at it every other week 

One has a HOF QB throwing to him and another is just learning the ropes, how are these 2 even comparable on any level ?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

They're not comparable yet you say one is a pro bowler. Why is he a pro bowler? Ben Roethlisberger. 

Hes a probowler because he makes plays 

Why didn’t James Washington, Antonio Brown, Jesse James, Eli Rogers, or Hayward Bey make the pro bowl ?   

The Ben factor didn’t work for them.   

Juju is 10 times the player Zay is.       It is what it is.   

Edited by Teddy KGB

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

They're not comparable yet you say one is a pro bowler. Why is he a pro bowler? Ben Roethlisberger. 

JuJu has been awesome since college.  Myself and other posters badly wanted the Bills to draft him.  Zay can be a productive member of this team but it’s going to be hard for it to not be a bad trade. There is nothing special about Zay.  He is Josh Reed. 

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Hes a probowler because he makes plays 

Why didn’t James Washington, Antonio Brown, Jesse James, Eli Rogers, or Hayward Bey make the pro bowl ?   

The Ben factor didn’t work for them.   

Juju is 10 times the player Zay is.       It is what it is.   

Brown made the pro bowl, you don't get 15 TD catches and not make it. And again he's 10 times better because of the HOF QB, you really think JuJu Smith Schuster is a pro bowler with Mason Rudolph at QB? Also James Washington didn't make it because he's like the WR 4 there.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Brown made the pro bowl, you don't get 15 TD catches and not make it. And again he's 10 times better because of the HOF QB, you really think JuJu Smith Schuster is a pro bowler with Mason Rudolph at QB? Also James Washington didn't make it because he's like the WR 4 there.

Last I heard Juju was in Brown was out.  

Either way Juju and Zay are not equals.   

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

JuJu is a better player than Zay.  I can’t believe this is even a debate.  Of course this board thinks Josh Allen would be doing the same as Mahomes if he was on KC. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

You keep saying the same thing over and over so I'll agree to disagree.

Fair enough but we are talking 111 vs 56 catches.   

Also 1400 yards vs 600 ish yards 

Edited by Teddy KGB

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

JuJu is a better player than Zay.  I can’t believe this is even a debate.  Of course this board thinks Josh Allen would be doing the same as Mahomes if he was on KC. 

I never stated Schuster wasn't the better player, what I'm stating is that he's a better player because right now he has an established HOF QB (Roethlisberger) throwing to him not a rookie QB. 

3 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Fair enough but we are talking 111 vs 56 catches.   

Also 1400 yards vs 600 ish yards 

And one last time... Zay Jones had Derek Anderson, Matt Barkley, Nate Peterman and Josh Allen throwing to him while Smith Schuster had Ben Roethlisberger and the best WR in football on the other side opening him up.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I never stated Schuster wasn't the better player, what I'm stating is that he's a better player because right now he has an established HOF QB (Roethlisberger) throwing to him not a rookie QB. 

And one last time... Zay Jones had Derek Anderson, Matt Barkley, Nate Peterman and Josh Allen throwing to him while Smith Schuster had Ben Roethlisberger and the best WR in football on the other side opening him up.

JuJu looks like a #1 receiver.  He would be a big reason why they would trade Brown.  Zay looks like a #3 on a good team.  It was a dumb trade up. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

JuJu looks like a #1 receiver.  He would be a big reason why they would trade Brown.  Zay looks like a #3 on a good team.  It was a dumb trade up. 

I know, being a Steeler fan I'm excited for Schuster, he is a top notch WR. I also think Jones can be that, he already doubled his production from last season but Allen will have to take that next step and Jones as of now is the top option for Allen.