Is Vander Eshe to Edmunds the same as Juju to Zay

Teddy KGB

On 11/30/2018 at 5:03 AM, oldmanfan said:

Guys, come on.  Have we really reached such a stage in society, have we really gotten to a point where our patience is so limited that one game from a player tells you that he is so much better than another guy?  VanderEsche had a good game last night from what I've read.  So Edmunds has shown he's coming along as a 20 year old rookie.

It is entirely possible that they both are going to be very good.  We have to stop thinking that everything is an either/or, bad or good choice in life.  Sometimes you can have two good things at once, or two bad things, or whatever.

Agree on the perspective of it takes time to evaluate players.

i think the greater point is you dont need to trade up and waste picks to find great players.

This is a poor comparison. First of all Vander Esch and Edmunds don't even play the same position. The real comparison would be to Matt Milano. I think if Edmunds never develops the instincts required to be a great MLB we will move him to OLB and he will be great there. Maybe then we can compare the two.

And besides that Zay Jones showed absolutely nothing last year which made you think he could be a great player. He showed flashes of basic competence in between his numerous errors. Edmunds has shown flashes of greatness. Nothing is certain of course but you can see the signs are there.

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

Lets be honest - you can drive yourself mad doing hindsight 20/20 on drafts.

Yep no GM in history has correctly drafted the best possible player available with all of their picks. You just want to consistently draft well and so far the Bills have done that. Even using the Cowboys as an example they drafted Taco Charlton over TJ Watt in 2017. Watt has 104 tackles and 17 sacks to Charlton's 35 tackles and 4 sacks, and Charlton is getting less playing time this year (he only played 4 snaps on Thirsday night). I'll take Tre White, Josh Allen, and Edmunds over Vander Esch and Charlton. It isn't even close.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

Edmunds is playing okay, and flashes potential.  LVE is flashing more consistently.  Both of those things are occurring THIS season.  Doesn't mean LVE will be better next season or over a career.  Or, both might be great players for the next decade which I would love to see as a football fan.

Bottom line is Edmunds was the LB that Beane and McD wanted.  They traded what they traded to get the player they wanted for whatever their reasons.  It is apparent this regime believes in perceived quality over quantity and will utilize draft capital to that end.   So be it.  

Edmunds was a young player at VaTech in terms of experience, so being in the NFL is an even bigger jump for him than it is for more seasoned collegiate players.  The fact that he is able to call a professional defense, flash his physical abilities and correct mistakes he's making from half to half, in-game, at 20 years old, should be enough to tell folks the Bills are in good shape with him.   Everything doesn't need to happen right away.  

Health permitting, by the time Edmunds is 22-23, more experienced in professional schemes, and maxed out in his physical development he will be thunder and lightning on that field; and probably a chess piece they move to multiple positions throughout a game, depending on matchups and situations, even though MLB will be his base position. PATIENCE...

Edited by purple haze

13 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Have you watched him play? He's on TV every week here. I think if you were able to get inside Beane's head, he's thinking he picked the wrong guy.

Doubtful.  And if it meant that much to Beane, he'd tell McD to play Edmunds at WLB.

30 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

At what point do we actually get guys that can produce in year one?

Tre White

Dion Dawkins

Matt Milano

Taron Johnson

Allen and Edmunds and Phillips have all showed promise as well but they're being brought along slowly. If you're asking for perfect drafts across the board it will never happen. The only big miss they've had so far is Zay Jones.

12 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Agree on the perspective of it takes time to evaluate players.

i think the greater point is you dont need to trade up and waste picks to find great players.

No the greater point is that it’s impossible to know on draft night who will do what and that no matter what the Bills do, the fan base will use hindsight to make a case that they screwed it up.

We had what appears to be a strong draft that could end up being an incredible draft if Allen and Edmunds both reach their potential to go along with guys like Taron, Teller, and Phillips too...and people are still b*tching.  

No.  You could argue he isnt even the most talent LB for Dallas or the most explosive.  Jaylon Smith is a huge boost for him.  Edumonds at 20 is calling the plays and making the checks.  Give Edumonds an NFL off season and look out.  He could add 10 pds of muscle.  He also has the ability to come off the edge on long passing downs.

On 11/30/2018 at 5:25 AM, Teddy KGB said:

The Juju miss was worse ?

Im trying to give Zay all the slack but I’m gonna need one monster game from him eventually.    Juju is at it every other week 

And he has an established, Superbowl winning QB throwing him the ball.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

And he has an established, Superbowl winning QB throwing him the ball.

You're right, but he's also making catches like this:

I honestly haven't seen a single catch made by Zay Jones that wowed me. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if he turns it around though.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

You're right, but he's also making catches like this:

I honestly haven't seen a single catch made by Zay Jones that wowed me. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if he turns it around though.

I would be surprised is Zay Jones becomes a force in the NFL, I'll admit. But his chances would definitely improve if he had a future hall of famer throwing to him. All we can do is wait and see. WR is just one of those positions that rely very heavily upon the QB.