Cowboys AND BEARS just showed why I keep saying Defense MATTERS still

Alphadawg7

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Or like your loud mouth cousin posting a picture of rain as proof of climate change...otherwise known as weather!

I mean, my point wasn’t whether or not it’s a thing (for either climate or defense) but the thought process behind the argument being made of “see defense won a game!” 

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Huh?  I mean there are people all over this board literally whining weekly about how we can’t win this way, McD needs to be fired because he isn’t an offensive coordinator previously, that Beane needs to be fired too because they addressed needs on D, proclaiming you defense is a waste and the only way to win now because game has changed is to pass for a ton of yards only. 

So no disrespect, but there are hoards of people here and threads whining constantly about this.  

Again, sustainable long term super bowl contention versus winning a Thursday night football game are pretty different convos. 

Ill say I think there’s a shift happening but that doesn’t mean we should field a JV group on defense.

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

So you are saying the Bills should be able to easily beat

The Rams

The Chiefs

The Saints

The Colts (Oh wait)

This team is a superbowl contender as it stands then.

Build that defense in the draft next year guys, last nights game proved you can win without offense. 

Or they just had an off night on the road on a Thursday, like every road team seems to have on Thursdays.

Please show me where I said offense doesn’t matter?  This is the issue.  Never once have I even suggested offense doesn’t matter.  But the all

offense guys literally preach weekly defense is dead and it’s all offense or you can’t win.  Our offense is not championship level right now, we absolutely need to address the offense this offseason and we will.  But many of you have proclaimed Beane and McD should be fired because they rebuilt the D and because McD wasn’t an OC first.  This week alone after back to back impressive wins, someone started a thread how our biggest mistake was hiring McD over Reich.

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Please show me where I said offense doesn’t matter?  This is the issue.  Never once have I even suggested offense doesn’t matter.  But the all

offense guys literally preach weekly defense is dead and it’s all offense or you can’t win.  Our offense is not championship level right now, we absolutely need to address the offense this offseason and we will.  But many of you have proclaimed Beane and McD should be fired because they rebuilt the D and because McD wasn’t an OC first.  This week alone after back to back impressive wins, someone started a thread how our biggest mistake was hiring McD over Reich.

don't worry about kooks demanding McD be fired, the board makes this view seem more vital than it is

21 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Ok. So in your opinion, are the Cowboys going to go on the road in the playoffs and beat New Orleans in New Orleans?

What would have said going into the Giants vs undefeated Pats with highest scoring offense in history?  Pats lost and scored 14 points. 

What about Seattle vs Broncos whomhad the new record breaking highest scoring offense in history?  They got crushed by Seattle 41-8.  

Woukd I say Saints would be the fave?  Of course.  But I have seen high powered offenses go down against stout defenses many times and in the biggest games.  And Brees and all his offensive accomplishments haven’t sniffed the SB in a decade and only even made the playoffs in general a handful of times.  The only time they made it to SB was hurricane Katrina emotional season and the one year they had a high end defense that created lots of turnovers.  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

What would have said going into the Giants vs undefeated Pats with highest scoring offense in history?  Pats lost and scored 14 points. 

What about Seattle vs Broncos whomhad the new record breaking highest scoring offense in history?  They got crushed by Seattle 41-8.  

Woukd I say Saints would be the fave?  Of course.  But I have seen high powered offenses go down against stout defenses many times and in the biggest games.  And Brees and all his offensive accomplishments haven’t sniffed the SB in a decade and only even made the playoffs in general a handful of times.  The only time they made it to SB was hurricane Katrina emotional season and the one year they had a high end defense that created lots of turnovers.  

For sure, there can be an upset.

But I’m betting NO all day if there is that playoff matchup 

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm pretty sure no one here said that...

Where is here?  This board has 100 threads on this nonsense right now.  I can name a dozen people who have been arguing with me that offense only matters point all season without even having to think about it.  

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Where is here?  This board has 100 threads on this nonsense right now.  I can name a dozen people who have been arguing with me that offense only matters point all season without even having to think about it.  

Can you cite a single person who argues that "we can't win with a Chiefs/Rams/Saints offense"?  Pretty sure they were arguing the opposite--that we need such an offense to succeed.

Maybe you meant "without" a Chiefs/Rams/Saints offense? 

Edited by Mr. WEO

Just now, billsfan11 said:

For sure, there can be an upset.

But I’m betting NO all day if there is that playoff matchup 

I would bet on Saints too, but come playoff time you can’t have a single off week.  It’s one loss and done.  If you are an all offense team, you can’t afford a hiccup against a stout defense.  Which is why guys like Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, Rivers, even Manning had a hard time getting to SB or have never even made one.  Manning got lucky late in his career thanks to that Bronco defense snagging  another trophy for him or his crappy brother would have more rings.  While at Indy, he was “one and done” an NFL record 9 times with his high powered offenses and got blown out of SB with all time scoring offense in history when he threw nfl record 55 TD passes.

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I would bet on Saints too, but come playoff time you can’t have a single off week.  It’s one loss and done.  If you are an all offense team, you can’t afford a hiccup against a stout defense.  Which is why guys like Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, Rivers, even Manning had a hard time getting to SB or have never even made one.  Manning got lucky late in his career thanks to that Bronco defense snagging  another trophy for him or his crappy brother would have more rings.  While at Indy, he was “one and done” an NFL record 9 times with his high powered offenses and got blown out of SB with all time scoring offense in history when he threw nfl record 55 TD passes.

All true Alpha.

But....

Would you really bet the field against Saints, Rams, Pats, or Chiefs winning the Super Bowl this year? (All high powering offences)

One of those teams IMO are winning this year. I would be shocked if they didn’t and I would declare you right on this argument if one of those high powering offences didn’t win lol

Edited by billsfan11

32 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I mean, my point wasn’t whether or not it’s a thing (for either climate or defense) but the thought process behind the argument being made of “see defense won a game!” 

Again, sustainable long term super bowl contention versus winning a Thursday night football game are pretty different convos. 

Ill say I think there’s a shift happening but that doesn’t mean we should field a JV group on defense.

14 of last 20 SBs won by a HC with a defensive background. 

Top 5 scoring offenses in NFL history - zero SB wins, only 3 even made it.

Top 2 scoring offenses in NFL history had defensive HC’s.

Top 2 scoring offenses in history combined for 22 points in Super Bowl losses to defensive teams.

This isn’t a isolated game, this is one of many examples of how this notion that only offense matters is off base.  Can a high powered offense win with a bad D...of course.  I’m not saying having a stout D is only way, I’m saying its false to say defense is dead and only offense matters.  There are people all over this board smashing there is only ONE way to win, and that’s big offenses only.  Even in this thread some have said that.

Edited by Alphadawg7

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

14 of last 20 SBs won by a HC with a defensive background. 

Top 5 scoring offenses in NFL history - zero SB wins, only 3 even made it.

Top 2 scoring offenses in NFL history had defensive HC’s.

Top 2 scoring offenses in history combined for 22 points in Super Bowl losses to defensive teams.

This isn’t a isolated game, this is one of many examples of how this notion that only offense matters is off base.  Can a high powered offense win with a bad D...of course.  I’m not saying having a stout D is only way, I’m saying its false to say defense is dead and only offense matters.  There are people all over this board smashing there is only ONE way to win, and that’s big offenses only.  Even in this thread some have said that.

Belichick has a defensive background, but unlike any other DC-turned HC, he remade himself by focusing on offense. He's not a defensive minded coach anymore and hasn't been for at least 15 years. That should be factored in. It's not black and white.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Belichick has a defensive background, but unlike any other DC-turned HC, he remade himself by focusing on offense. He's not a defensive minded coach anymore and hasn't been for at least 15 years. That should be factored in. It's not black and white.

Agreed very much. 

7 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

All true Alpha.

But....

Would you really bet the field against Saints, Rams, Pats, or Chiefs winning the Super Bowl this year? (All high powering offences)

One of those teams IMO are winning this year. I would be shocked if they didn’t and I would declare you right on this argument if one of those high powering offences didn’t win lol

Remember, I’m not saying you can only win with a stout D.  I’m countering the argument that others say defense is dead and only offense matters.  

Every year is different than the last.  People are ignoring all of history to proclaim that defense is dead because of the high powered offenses this year.  But they are not even as high scoring as the Broncos were who lost to an elite defense 41-8 in SB.  

We dont have any Elite defenses this year.  We have some good ones, but not ones like that legion of boom Seahawks team.  So yes I fully agree with you on who the SB contenders are.  But also don’t sleep on a team like the Bears who have a good D and can also score well themselves too.  Bears facing a bad D can easily put up 30-40 points.  But it’s gonna be hard for that high powered offense to also score that much on the Bears.  

I still have Saints as favorites becuse they have the better D of all the high powered offenses.  But my point of this thread is not to downplay offense, I love offense as much as anyone.  It’s to counter this false narrative that ONLY offense matters.  

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Can you cite a single person who argues that "we can't win with a Chiefs/Rams/Saints offense"?  Pretty sure they were arguing the opposite--that we need such an offense to succeed.

Maybe you meant "without" a Chiefs/Rams/Saints offense? 

I was saying people said we can ONLY win with offense and that defense doesn’t matter and is dead.

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

What about John Fox?  He is DC and led the highest scoring offense in NFL history.  But didn’t win the SB (lost 41-8 to elite defense) with that record breaking offense and instead won 2 years later when the D was dominant and the passing game sucked and was worst in league that year in 2015.

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Remember, I’m not saying you can only win with a stout D.  I’m countering the argument that others say defense is dead and only offense matters.  

Every year is different than the last.  People are ignoring all of history to proclaim that defense is dead because of the high powered offenses this year.  But they are not even as high scoring as the Broncos were who lost to an elite defense 41-8 in SB.  

We dont have any Elite defenses this year.  We have some good ones, but not ones like that legion of boom Seahawks team.  So yes I fully agree with you on who the SB contenders are.  But also don’t sleep on a team like the Bears who have a good D and can also score well themselves too.  Bears facing a bad D can easily put up 30-40 points.  But it’s gonna be hard for that high powered offense to also score that much on the Bears.  

I still have Saints as favorites becuse they have the better D of all the high powered offenses.  But my point of this thread is not to downplay offense, I love offense as much as anyone.  It’s to counter this false narrative that ONLY offense matters.  

Nope you’re right it definitely doesn’t only matter.

But I will say an elite offence is way more important than an elite defence in 2018 NFL.